Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 09-14-2002, 02:14 PM

I have 275/40ZR18 tires in the rear of my 1970 GTO.The rear end is a Moser 9" and the control arms are all Hotchkis including the sway bar.I currently have about 1/4" of space between inner rear quarter wheel well lip and the tire side wall.What do you guys think is that too close?How much will the rear end sway back ?

Old 09-14-2002, 02:14 PM

I have 275/40ZR18 tires in the rear of my 1970 GTO.The rear end is a Moser 9" and the control arms are all Hotchkis including the sway bar.I currently have about 1/4" of space between inner rear quarter wheel well lip and the tire side wall.What do you guys think is that too close?How much will the rear end sway back ?

Old 09-14-2002, 11:41 PM
Senior Chief

That seems a little too close to me. I have a friend with a 70 GTO. He is running 295-40/18 on the rear, but he has them on custom $800(each) wheels. He used a big wooden dowel (baseball bat size) and rolled the inner lip in and up to gain some more clearance. He just forced it between the tire and the fender lip and rolled it back and forth several times untill the metal was bent up and out of the way. There is no change to the look of the fenders, but there is almost 1/2" more clearance than before. He was very carefull not to tweak the outer lip and wheel arch when he did this. He says he has room for 315-35/18's, but he will wait and see how the 295's work.

http://motornoggin.smugmug.com/