Pontiac - Race The next Level

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 04:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well a few folks came out to run at Houston raceway park yesterday. One guy traveled from louisiana with a 511 I.A. mill in a '66 GTO, to take part in the event.
Former shootout racers in attendance include Dave Sober, Lee Atkinson, Warren Kiesz, Shay Qualls as well as others...
(Skip F., Steve C. where were you?).
This day i'll have to say that the D-port, 455 powered firebird of Dave Sober took the "little-pooch" honors, with a "jaw-dropping" run of a 10.47 @126.88mph!!!!!!!!
this opened a few eyes of unsuspecting onlookers, thinking that this was just another 12sec car.
just for info, the 60ft, @1.45., the 1/8th mile in @ 6.63.
This was achevied with a change of different intake/carb combo and flat-tappet solid cam, combined with those nasty, cast-iron, no-flowing, 30 yr. old technology D-ports from the original shootout combo(see pg.56, Dec. HPP for vehicle spec's.)!!!!
Dave has proven once again that "air velocity makes horsepower"...(wink)
well...maybe in a chevy.
Thats right, D-ports with LESS FLOW than a set of those "out of the box" stellar flowing, 285cfm+, E-heads.
makes you want to "rock & roll-over"...hmmm?
(uh oh, here we go again).
DANG this sure is fun!!!!

[This message has been edited by Larry Navarro (edited 11-19-2001).]

Old 11-19-2001, 04:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well a few folks came out to run at Houston raceway park yesterday. One guy traveled from louisiana with a 511 I.A. mill in a '66 GTO, to take part in the event.
Former shootout racers in attendance include Dave Sober, Lee Atkinson, Warren Kiesz, Shay Qualls as well as others...
(Skip F., Steve C. where were you?).
This day i'll have to say that the D-port, 455 powered firebird of Dave Sober took the "little-pooch" honors, with a "jaw-dropping" run of a 10.47 @126.88mph!!!!!!!!
this opened a few eyes of unsuspecting onlookers, thinking that this was just another 12sec car.
just for info, the 60ft, @1.45., the 1/8th mile in @ 6.63.
This was achevied with a change of different intake/carb combo and flat-tappet solid cam, combined with those nasty, cast-iron, no-flowing, 30 yr. old technology D-ports from the original shootout combo(see pg.56, Dec. HPP for vehicle spec's.)!!!!
Dave has proven once again that "air velocity makes horsepower"...(wink)
well...maybe in a chevy.
Thats right, D-ports with LESS FLOW than a set of those "out of the box" stellar flowing, 285cfm+, E-heads.
makes you want to "rock & roll-over"...hmmm?
(uh oh, here we go again).
DANG this sure is fun!!!!

Old 11-19-2001, 05:11 PM
Suspended

That sure is "eye-opening".

Can't wait 'till he opens his eyes the rest of the way and steps forward into the 1970's.

Old 11-19-2001, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Now Scott, don't be a "douchebag".

Old 11-19-2001, 06:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Larry,

The performance and power are certainly there. Vehicle Weight with those typical D-ports? please send me the vehicle parameters to calc a FOM.

H.I. Stud

Sold 2003: 12.00/112MPH/1.61 60'/26"x3.31:1/10"/469 #48/245-255-110LSA/Q-Jet-Torker/3650Lbs//18MPG 94oct
Sold 1994: 11.00/123MPH/1.50 60'/29.5"x4.10:1/10"/469 #48/245-255-110LSA/Dual600s-Wenzler/3250Lbs//94oct
Old 11-19-2001, 06:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Larry,
How much head flow? Who ported the heads?

Old 11-19-2001, 07:08 PM
Suspended

That car runs faster with D ports and a solid cam than Gloatman's runs with IV's and a roller.

Old 11-19-2001, 07:27 PM
On Vacation

Did somebody just see a Green Eyed Monster run by?

Keep crying Misus, its all you're good at. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

6 passes, 10.62 @ 128, 3500lbs, no "chest thumping", just driving. How many YEARS did that guy spend to go that fast? How much did his car weigh? What size tire? Nitrous? Suspension?

BTW, Scott, I know you don't have the answers. Thanks for laugh........again [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] You have no idea how many people you're amusing with every post. Even someone claiming to be GTOANDY e-mailed me with some compliments and a few "details" about your "alternate" lifestyle.

Since you need a job anyway, I hear Ringling Brothers is looking for some "well qualified" applicants. You're just the man for the job........Elephant "attendant". [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Hell, you'll probably even draw up a strong following within the clown population. Lord knows you've got one here.

[This message has been edited by Goatman (edited 11-19-2001).]

Old 11-19-2001, 07:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ooooh..oooohh..."i did it with just 6 passes"..."just 6 passes"....
goatlicker...you make it sound like you ran tens without ever having experience running a pontiac, but then again you have admitted to running 4 previous pontiac engines before.
so...you've gained all that pontiac know-how in just 6 passes??
once again, what difference does it make, he did it...and did it on the second pass.
just admit that brains over brawn netted those accomplishments.
for vehicle info, see pg.56, december HPP.

Old 11-19-2001, 08:19 PM
On Vacation

Don't be sad Larry and Scott. You've only got physics and intelligence going against you. Both of you should be able to convince yourselves that you'll prevail in the end. LOL

Second pass, sure, that's why I can check out the car in DECEMBER's issue of HPP, right? I guess he's just been too busy to get to the track ALL SUMMER, right? Larry, try making sense when you type. Then again, you think D-ports make all kinds of power, so I guess I'm talking to another mental midget.

The four other cars I built were basically stock Pontiacs, all second gen. Firebirds with my new car being the exception. 6 passes is all it took with much, much more to come. How about you Larry, hit any performance walls lately? Don't bother trying to lie.

Guess what, I don't care that any of you don't care. I didn't build my car to impress the like's of you or anybody else. I did it for me and that's all that matters. I'm happy with the car and I will continue to go faster every year I own it. WHEN my RAIV's run out of air, I'll make the switch to a superior head. You see, I don't have the hang ups that you have.

Get some help, and stay in touch with yourself. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 11-19-2001, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You guys kill me!

SECOND AMENDMENT: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!
Old 11-19-2001, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is Dave Sober and I want to answer a few questions. I have owned the car for only two years. The first motor was the one in the shootout in HPP/December issue, and no major components in the motor or car were changed until shortly after the HPP shootout. All tuning and testing was done with carb/timing/chassis. The current combination consist of same bottom end including same bore/stroke etc. The heads received a valve job and were flowed on a 28 inch bench for first time. They flow 270 cfm @ 500 lift. I made a cam change, decked the block, installed 3 inch exhaust system and changed carb/intake combo. I also replaced the torque converter with a 9" PTC unit. I have not been able to weigh the car at the track because the scales have not been open. The car should weigh within 50 lbs. of what it weighed at the shootout which was 3560 lbs race weight. I have removed the power steering but am sure that the 3" exhaust offset that. First trip to track the carb was lean and rev limiter was set to low and the car did not make a full pass under full power. Best ET that night was 10.56 @ 125.18mph. Second trip to track was at 1/8 mile track where I worked out some bugs with jetting and rev limiter/tach. Best 60 ft. that night was 1.45 and 1/8 et was 6.67 @ 102.24. It is well known that this tracks times are always 1/10 and 1 mph slower than Houston Raceway Park. The following night (Sunday, 11/18/01) @ HRP the car went 10.47 @ 126.87 mph. Second pass was 10.48 @ 126.64 mph. Third pass with old carb was 10.64 @ 125.05 mph. No time left for more passes. BTW, I made 8 passes at the 1/8th mile track and here are my times; 6.71, 6.67, 6.68, 6.67, 6.71, 6.67, 6.67 and 6.69. Small changes to timing and carb were made between some of these runs. Tires/trans/suspension has not changed from the HPP shootout data. The car is still street driven to hangouts, street race spots etc, but as most of you with brains I choose to trailer it to the track. LOL.......

1971 Base Firebird..505ci IA 2A Round port E-heads by Butler 348 cfm.. Comp street SR 266/272@.050 Victor intake/Quick Fuel Q950. 1 7/8" Dougs headers..3" mandrel bent exhaust with Hooker Max Flow mufflers, T-350 well built with 10" 4000 stall nitrous Continental converter..3.73 posi . Caltracs and 10" slicks. Belt driven water pump, alternator, Pwr steering and brakes,Flex fan. 11:1compression, straight 93 octane pump fuel. 10.35 @ 129.88 with 1.45 60ft N/A at 3700lbs race weight.
Old 11-19-2001, 08:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Larry, Larry, Larry.
You just can't help yourself, can you. LOL.
I hope 10.40's didn't take a heads up shootout?
"Edelbrock" *OPEN* chamber heads....9.8-1 compression.........3.50 gear.........3550 lbs.........."10" inch tight convertor....full exhaust.......stock suspension....
10.59@126.95 with a 1.54 60 ft'er.....on pump gas...LOL.
Larry, Larry, Larry. New technology,less radical, same end to a means.

Edelbrock's rule Hahahahahahaha.

------------------
Injection is Nice, but I'd rather have 'GAS'....Nitrous that is.
http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/pontiacdude428

Old 11-19-2001, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Larry, wanted to be there but was at clinic treating sick cats, cleaning cat poop. What other profession can you get blood, urine, sh** on you and bitten all at the same time !

The weather couldn't have been any better Barometer was 31.22 and steady, fairly low humnidity and mild temperature. One of the perfect race days here in Houston, I was jealous of you guys. What did Lee run? Did you run one of yours Larry? We probably won't have another day until the spring quite as good.

The 81 car only has about 40 miles on it so not a good candiate for even a trail yet.

That car is running as good as Pete McCarthy 's tubbed 4 link early bird with D ports, and he's the D port guru!

Good job and a great car, an car in the 10s is cool even a Chevy!

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 11-19-2001, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

you guys crack me up especially pudude...
promote your business with the e-heads man...you need it!!
goatroper...another mental midget who can't get it...that d-ports are proven again and again on making big power. i bet you make a pretty marginal research scientist...LOL!!!
less velocity and less cost...gimme a d-port,especially for a 10 second street car!

Old 11-19-2001, 09:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OH, I forgot....NO SLICKS!!!!! D.O.T. Radials 29.5" tall.
Larry..street car with a 9" convertor on a regular basis. Hummmmm. Hope you run a cooler as big as your radiator, Hahahahahaha.
And I bet that you run an open chamber D-port, so you can run pump gas and use hardened seats too!!!! What # heads? What size engine? What gear and tire?
You crack me up....You can't compare Apples to Apples.

BTW: I use and recommend Edelbrock heads, but do and sell more D-ports by 10-1.
They do have there place.

------------------
Injection is Nice, but I'd rather have 'GAS'....Nitrous that is.
http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/pontiacdude428

[This message has been edited by PONTIAC DUDE (edited 11-19-2001).]

Old 11-19-2001, 09:30 PM
On Vacation

Yeah, Larry, all two of them that actually weigh more than 3200lbs!

Torqjunki, pretty impressive if I do say so myself. Basically what you're saying, though, is that the car was "dialed in" and you made a few other changes (cam, intake, etc), but "basically" the car is as it was before. So, Larry, he really has more than two passes on the car.

Larry, I have exactly 6 passes on my entire car, from the electrical system, to the wheels, everything was BRAND NEW. Big difference, our cars are the same weight, but I have at least 2MPH more in the quarter (my heads flow 288CFM, by the way. Wanna talk about velocity to me?) That's launching off idle, with a best 60' of 1.58. I may not be the brightest man on the planet, but I think I'm making a little more power. No offense TJ, I'm sure you surprise quite a few people with that combination.

Larry, after all your huffing and puffing, we're still here and making more power and all you've got to say is "you guys crack me up"? Stick a fork in it, you're done.

[This message has been edited by Goatman (edited 11-19-2001).]

Old 11-19-2001, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

goatwacker?..."we're still here making more power"...who's we? you and the dude?
WOW...brand new parts? obviously more money than brains.
the heats turned up in the form of D's, and your sweating it(especially when i post). you guys can't stand to see them perform and all you can do is bash the "underdog".

Old 11-19-2001, 09:57 PM
On Vacation

Hey, moron, I run RAIV's, you know, the ones made back in 1970? You're right, I tremble, or maybe shudder would be more accurate, when you post.

You're also correct in saying we are the ONLY two guys making power out there. Good thing Rodney Butler didn't just make 2000 HP with a TT or Bruce M. didn't just make over 1000 HP naturally aspirated, huh? Boy, you're really "on" tonight, huh?

Bwwwwwwwwwwahhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaahhhahhhhahahahh!

Again, think BEFORE you type, it'll save you some real embarrassment.

Old 11-19-2001, 10:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Just got a phone call, the only thing I could hear was heavy breathing and stuttering, and "Ststssttttupid lalalalaarry"... I thought it was a crank call, but then it hit me, It's was Gach!
He was So wound up over this topic he couldn't speak...

PDude bashing D-ports? Hummm, The Dude loves D-Ports. But I do remember seeing Larry bash E-heads... I have both, I like both!

Larry you must be a Cook by profession, you love to stir the pot...

Closed Thread