Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 12-31-2002, 06:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They're here! Price is high at $82.00 each, but at least they exist! Here's the details

For high end engine builders that do not know, COMETIC gaskets are taking over the head gasket world. They are possibly better than copper and o-rings for holding cylinder pressure, able to control water without leaking like copper, and can be re-used several times. MLS stands for Multi-Layer Steel, three layers; outer layers are viton coated spring steel, inner is 304 stainless

Gasket bore and thickness:

4.300" bore .040" thick

4.300" bore .054" thick

4.160" bore .040" thick

3.950" bore .040" thick

Above sizes are in stock, if you are looking for a different bore size, let me know it may be possible to get it during a gasket production run. You will be waiting a while before receiving special orders and it will be a money up front deal. But for you Super stock guys looking for every CC, I may be able to get what you are trying to find. Also available in special order is thickness range from .030 to .130 these will also be a wait.

Unfortunately for those running IA engines, at 4.350 bore and larger makes the fire ring land on the block water holes. For a big bore gasket to work, deck will have to be plugged, resurfaced, and redrilled with smaller water holes. If you have an IA block you may have done these things or dry decked your engine already. I may contract cometic for another tool to make these gaskets at a later date. If you are interested in sponsoring or co-sponsoring this project email me.

I can be reached at pietrzak@bright.net or 1-419-560-1004, sorry I don't have a credit card machine, but I can take paypal using the email pietrzak@bright.net
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cometic3.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	4678  

Old 12-31-2002, 06:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They're here! Price is high at $82.00 each, but at least they exist! Here's the details

For high end engine builders that do not know, COMETIC gaskets are taking over the head gasket world. They are possibly better than copper and o-rings for holding cylinder pressure, able to control water without leaking like copper, and can be re-used several times. MLS stands for Multi-Layer Steel, three layers; outer layers are viton coated spring steel, inner is 304 stainless

Gasket bore and thickness:

4.300" bore .040" thick

4.300" bore .054" thick

4.160" bore .040" thick

3.950" bore .040" thick

Above sizes are in stock, if you are looking for a different bore size, let me know it may be possible to get it during a gasket production run. You will be waiting a while before receiving special orders and it will be a money up front deal. But for you Super stock guys looking for every CC, I may be able to get what you are trying to find. Also available in special order is thickness range from .030 to .130 these will also be a wait.

Unfortunately for those running IA engines, at 4.350 bore and larger makes the fire ring land on the block water holes. For a big bore gasket to work, deck will have to be plugged, resurfaced, and redrilled with smaller water holes. If you have an IA block you may have done these things or dry decked your engine already. I may contract cometic for another tool to make these gaskets at a later date. If you are interested in sponsoring or co-sponsoring this project email me.

I can be reached at pietrzak@bright.net or 1-419-560-1004, sorry I don't have a credit card machine, but I can take paypal using the email pietrzak@bright.net

Old 12-31-2002, 07:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

another pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cometic2.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	6836  

Old 12-31-2002, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Victor & Fel-pro do the same for a lot less!

SECOND AMENDMENT: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY.
I Misus Rash'!

SECOND AMENDMENT: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!
Old 12-31-2002, 08:45 PM
On Vacation

Butlers gaskets work great AND they have one for the big bore motors.

Chance favors the prepared mind.

Old 12-31-2002, 09:56 PM
Boost Engineer

Rob offered to send me a couple of gaskets to evaluate and then pay for.

Not having tested his product, I can't say good or bad.

Larry and Bruce (Goatman) make good points about
cheaper stuff being available.

My opinion is I will never use his gasket or ANY
gasket on a fast (big HP) engine as I will have
plugged the heads for water and will be using a
stainless or Gas compression ring to seal the
combusion pressures. No gaskets, no leaks at
30 psi boost pressures. Marty Palbykin initially
used the gas rings I got him from Don Vesco (a
famous Bonneville Land Speed Record holder) but
the $400.00 for 8 rings sent Marty to building his own special solid ring. They worked as well and cost a lot less. Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-01-2003, 08:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Victor Gaskets take a hour of razor blade scraping to get off, I've only had them on 500hp engines a long time ago. I hear they're the only game in town right now.

1016s were my normal choice into the 800hp range, but turn black in the center and now have some kind of water disentigration problem. If your 1016s are 4-10 years old they're probably fine.

Dave Johnson was the first person I've seen run Copper on pontiacs and I used them shortly after. He had straight copper with blue silicone used that, had some small water leaks. Changed to Ultra Black silicone No Leaks, but makes a mess and my fingers were black for two days. That's good to 1000hp on smaller bores. O-rings above 1000hp. Bad thing about copper, just like victors takes 2 hours to clean good thing they are re-usable.

Tom, what's the biggest bore pontiac using compression rings you know of?

I have not seen anything work really well on the big bore engines, have a couple more tricks to try with stuff that's out there and will look at Jim's gasket before spending another $3500.00 and not knowing if that will hold.

Butler's gaskets may do well, I've never used them. Heard good compliments from Ken Keefer about them, he even suggested I try Jim's before spending the startup cash at Cometic, but I was already in the talks. Don't know anyone who has used the big bore Jim Butler Gaskets. As far as I know it is a steel shim on one side and composite stuff on the other, may be good. Maybe Goatman can share his experiences with them.

The cometic gasket has been used on NASCAR, NHRA and IHRA prostock engines and several High NOS engines. The gasket is Better than Victor and Felpro and if you use them twice, same price.

Several new advantages for different displacements, the SS 350, 389, and 400 guys probably benefit the most.

-Rob

Old 01-01-2003, 10:05 AM
Boost Engineer

There are many racers on this board who have more experience in the 500 to 900 hp range then I do.
Most post on the board often.

In the 1200 to 1800 range of the SB Fords, most
use the Fel Pro purpose built blower gasket and
still change then often. Most are in competition
and will look at the whole engine before each race
event. (This means they have between 8 to 12 hard passes on the gaskets before they change them).
Most are going for $6500 to $10,000 in prize cash
plus contingency money so they spend the $60.00-
$80.00 as insurance on each build-up inorder to
be at 100% for the races.

The guys above 1800 hp normally have their secret
gaskets and keep towels over the engine if it is apart. Your gasket may fall in this catagory.

The professional teams all run the rings, period.
(Indy, Formula 1, Bonneville, etc). The Boss 429
engine came stock with the ring. Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-01-2003, 10:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yea, looking at pro stock, they can run a engine all weekend and not switch. So thats 12-1800hp (NHRA-IHRA) without changing Head gaskets.

All top-alcohol and obviously Top fuel have new head gaskets every pass.

Several Engine builders are running into the same gasket holding problems, and maybe at a lower HP level because of the 10 bolt heads.

Its fun going through the pits on Thursdays when experiments are hiding under towels!

-Rob

Old 01-01-2003, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom where can I see these rings or pic of them?

-Rob

Old 01-01-2003, 11:29 AM
On Vacation

Rob, I only have experience with the Butler small bore gaskets. I sold a couple sets of the big gaskets at the Nats last year while at the IA trailer.

I have nothing against Cometic, in fact, I hear alot of the NMCA guys run those gaskets.

When I visted Ken Keefer last summer at his shop, I mentioned that I heard Cometic was making gaskets for Pontiacs and even e-mailed him the link when I got home. Of course, at the time, there was nothing available, but I had heard through the grape vine that something was coming.

Whatever Rodney Butler is running to hold his 2200HP, 30psi twin turbo motor together is what I'll be using to hold my twin turbo motor together.

Old 01-01-2003, 11:47 AM
Suspended

I tried copper head gaskets on my o-ringed 428 and they leaked like a bi***! I threw them away and ordered a set of Butler gaskets and haven't had a problem since with 13 to 1 comp. and N.O.S.! I was also suprised how cheap the price was!

Old 01-01-2003, 01:26 PM
Suspended

Flat-out Racing is making a head gasket for pontiac and it is available for most sizes. Part number 900012 sells for about 120.00us.This gasket is supposed to eliminate the hassels of copper gaskets.

Old 01-01-2003, 01:52 PM
On Vacation

Sounds to me like there isn't a need for copper head gaskets in the first place...........

Old 01-01-2003, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Goatman,

Yea Ken has pushed Butlers hard and have held.

I've never asked Rodney directly, but heard its copper and o-rings. I plan on talking to the Butlers a bit tomorrow.

-Rob

Old 01-01-2003, 04:29 PM
"Mike Kasparian

Send a message via MSN to

Rob,can you get the gaskets made with no water holes?Does the gasket have a fire ring around the bore or is it embossed?I had cometic make me some custom gaskets last june but they didnt have the tooling yet for the embossments.Good people to work with,very helpful.I think it should be a good gasket. mk

Old 01-01-2003, 05:56 PM
Boost Engineer

Rob, The gas rings are about .100 diameter around
the "o" ring. You cut a step in the very top of the bore .065 deep and .100 wider than the bore size. When the head goes on it squeezes the ring
tightly due to the .035 compression of the ring and if the head moves up and down during the run
a few thou the ring will follow the head and keep it sealed.

On Marty's solid ring he found some steel material
that had memory and followed the head well and used that to make rings. Tom V.

Old 01-02-2003, 06:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like a great squeeze play. what tool do they have to get pistonrings past the step?

-Rob

Old 01-02-2003, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Has anyone heard of the ROL Gaskets? They make a head gasket for Pontiacs also.

75bird 7.41 1/8mile at 92mph street car
73Ventura 11.88 at 113 streetcar
69GrandPrix 12.64 at 107 tow car
65GTO 10.14 at 129 tri-power dragcar

Old 01-02-2003, 02:45 PM

i use the rol gaskets 0n my 13:1 comp 455 got them from KRE

pure pontiacpowerd 86 grand am
455 eheads hyd. cam 9.24 at 145