Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 08-31-2002, 06:41 PM
Senior Chief

I'm in the middle of a 400 to 455 engine swap in my '78 Trans Am.

I'm thinking of installing traction bars. I was getting a lot of wheel hop with the old 400 ... I dread what I'll get with the new 455.

I see posts about sub-fram connectors. What are these? Will I need them as an adjunct to the traction bars to keep the wheels on the ground? (This car will just be a daily driver/street performer).

Thanks

Old 08-31-2002, 06:41 PM
Senior Chief

I'm in the middle of a 400 to 455 engine swap in my '78 Trans Am.

I'm thinking of installing traction bars. I was getting a lot of wheel hop with the old 400 ... I dread what I'll get with the new 455.

I see posts about sub-fram connectors. What are these? Will I need them as an adjunct to the traction bars to keep the wheels on the ground? (This car will just be a daily driver/street performer).

Thanks

Old 08-31-2002, 06:55 PM

A FB/TA is a uni-body car. Which means the body is part of the frame. Subframe connectors connect the front and rear frame rails to stiffen the frame. If you ever get your car to hook you will need these as the result will be wrinkled sail panels.