Old 06-18-2010, 12:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default blower motor replacement ?

I need to replace a blower motor in my fathers 78 firebird, 305 chebby with ac. Im pretty sure I need to drop the rf wheelwell. Is there anything else I need to do?? Drain ac system or coolant?

Old 06-18-2010, 05:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You shouldn't have to drain any coolant, etc. Personally, I've never been very good at dropping the inner fender well by itself, so I've always accessed the blower by removing the hood and passenger fender. I can't help you any more than that since I've always messed with blower replacement when I've been changing out the evap box, etc. and I had no choice but to pull fenders.

Even connecting the power lead to the blower is a royal PITA with the fender still on. That's why my last 2 firebirds had cuts with a plasma cutter on the inner fender well for access to the blower and/or heater core nipples (hey - I didn't do it...).

Old 07-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks Squidward.

I did run a search before asking the question and didnt find much. I replaced the blower motor today so maybe this might do someone some good down the road.

-Remove rf fender to rad support bracket.
-Disconnect battery and remove hold down bracket and bolt.
-Remove battery.
-Jack up vehicle and remove rf tire.
-Remove all wheelwell retaining bolts.
-Loosen 2 lower fender retaining bolts.
-Pull lower rear corner of fender out and remove wheelwell.
-Your there, remove blower motor
-Reassemble.

With air tools and cleaning parts it took about 2 hours.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:39 AM

I can tell you in a 69 Firebird convertible with A/C, 2 hours ain't going to happen! It took two of us (and the other guy was a mechanic) just over 4 hours.

In addition to everything on 70 Bird's list, I had to:

- remove all trim (wheel well & rocker panel)
- remove the cocktail shaker (that sucker is really heavy!)
- remove 5 bolts (2 of which were inside, around the corner, and underneath - i.e difficult!) to pull out front of fender as well
- remove complete A/C compressor assembly

Then, finally we were able to get the wheel well out. Lining everything back up for reassembly was worse than the tear down. I hope I never have to do a blower replacement again!

1969 Firebird Convertible 400 Ram Air/HO (WQ), 4spd (M20), saf-t-track, hood tach, A/C, P/B, P/S, AM/FM Stereo, P/A - (24 options on the PHS)

My album: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...hp?albumid=665
Old 04-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Back in the 70's GM recomended that you cut a hole in the fender well, then patching it up when done. But,I never did it that way.