Old 05-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Senior Chief

Question Switch to a 11 bolt water pump? Pro and cons??

On a 406 with the 8 bolt water pump and older timing cover, and harmonics components, is there a benefit in switching to the 11 bolt pump, newer timing cover and harmonic components? Or just run what ya brung??
No power steering,only alternator,water pump and crank pulley installed on the engine. Does anyone have a handy part number listing or is that a task to come up with?

Old 05-01-2011, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What problem are you currently experiencing that you are trying to solve?

Old 05-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ames has the complete kit for the change from the 8 to 11 bolt pump setup. Page 190 in their catalog. Everything is included in the kit, but 6-1/2" pulley needed is extra.

If you want to change because of overheating, there is a fix coming from Cardone. The only thing you do need is the original rear 8 bolt divider plate with the keyway. The SS repoped rear divider plate will not work with this new 8 bolt pump with the correct impeller. And beating the plate to get the curvature will not work easily if at all. Tho the front SS plate will work fine. Far cheaper than switching to the 11 bolt waterpump setup, as you will see in the Ames catalog.

I was going to do as you but I'm glad I waited. I'm testing this new 8 bolt pump and so far it's working great. My collant temp is staying at 180, or at the max 190. We just need new SS repopped rear divider plates that match the curvature of the new impeller. Hang in there a bit until I find out when this new pump will be ready for the market.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Senior Chief

Talking 8 bolt to an 11 bolt water pump

No problem whatsoever, I've owned my car since 1969, and not had overheating issues even in the Oklahoma heat. It just seems that more parts are available for the four bolt dampener, and the other associated pieces and was wondering if it was worth it to change over?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVR421 View Post
What problem are you currently experiencing that you are trying to solve?

Old 05-03-2011, 04:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would think the biggest advantage is the 11 bolt is more common of a waterpump to get if you end up out of town and the pump goes bad.