The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 12-13-2007, 12:51 AM

Default Not a Pontiac, but "A" body fender repair video

OK, so this isn't a Pontiac, but the principals apply - here's a quick video on repairing GM A body fenders. In this case, it's on our '71 Olds project.

We're beginning the bodywork, and we're trying to save all the original steel if possible. This time, we're patching the lower fenders, as these cars - all GM "A" bodies in general - seem to have rusty holes in their fender bottoms.

http://v8tvshow.com/content/view/468/43/

More body tech to come on this car!

- KO

Old 12-13-2007, 09:30 PM

Just a quick update from the shop... Kelle brings us up to speed on the chassis and the body moving from the Autotwirler to the body jig we built.

http://v8tvshow.com/content/view/469/1/

Old 12-14-2007, 07:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice work! Keep sharing!

Old 12-14-2007, 06:37 PM

Thanks, we'll definately keep you posted!

- KO

Old 12-15-2007, 08:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I went back and watched about a half dozen of them. Really interesting!

Old 12-18-2007, 04:18 PM

Thoughts on disassembling the body on our 1971 Olds "S71" project. This time, it's spotweld seperation 101. We'll feature more on this topic when we begin the reassembly of this car using an HTP QuickSpot II spotwelder. This time, we take a look at some of the disassembled panels and see how they came apart.

Next video - sparks fly!

http://v8tvshow.com/content/view/470/43/

Old 12-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks again. Keep em coming.
Paul

Old 12-18-2007, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

These videos are being watched by me with high interest as i have a 70 Olds Cutlass S . So I am saying thank you for the great videos on the restoration of the S71.

If you always do what you always did
You always get what you always got
Old 12-18-2007, 09:59 PM

For sure, keep em coming.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:39 AM

Thanks guys, we'll keep 'em coming.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:31 PM

The cutting tools came out as we began cuttin' up the Olds. This time, the rear wheel houses are removed as well as the outsides of the trunk floor. This is the ugly stuff!

http://v8tvshow.com/content/view/471/43/

Old 12-23-2007, 03:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8TV
The cutting tools came out as we began cuttin' up the Olds. This time, the rear wheel houses are removed as well as the outsides of the trunk floor. This is the ugly stuff!

http://v8tvshow.com/content/view/471/43/
Can't say enough about how nice it is to get a view of the kind of work I will be doing on my project.

Brings a question....My trunk, quarter drops, inner and outer wheel housings and quarters are all very SOLID. The quarter took a shot to the wheel opening area. I have straightened most of it out, but to do it right, I need to get behind it and hammer/dolly it.

The outer wheel housing is also bent in slightly, and should be replaced. What are the chances that I can just remove the outer wheel housing, straighten the quarter, and then install a replacement wheel housing?

I am in the same boat as you...although aftermarket fulls are available for mine, I have a very solid factory quarter, with factory welds & seams still in place, just need some metal work...I hate to sacrifice that, but figure a wheel well would be nearly undetectable, as opposed to a quarter replacement, and of course, much less expensive.

Can that be done with a reasonable amount of effort? (I have the skills, just need some knowledge and opinions...

Old 12-23-2007, 05:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm thinking it would be quite a trick getting the outer wheelhouse out with the quarter in place....Actually, even more of a trick getting the new one in.
I'm strictly an amatuer act though.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:17 PM

That's a tricky one... you're saying the original quarter just needs to be straightened, and you feel the original outer wheelhouse needs to be replaced because of crash damage, right?

I've seen this scenario before - and if you think back to the days when these cars were newer, this happened all the time. I've seen many where the original quarter was drilled and removed, straightened, the wheelhouse repaired or replaced, and the original quarter put back on. We see people swapping quarters from other cars all the time... this is actually easier, as all your spotweld holes will line up again perfectly.

It's alot of work, and it's going to take time to be careful not to damage the quarter when removing it, but it may be a good way to go. You'll have to be sure the car is mounted rigidly so it doesn't twist when you pull the quarter, and the quarter will want to change shape when you remove it, also. It's not going to be "easy", but it could be cleaner then stitching in a quarter patch.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8TV
That's a tricky one... you're saying the original quarter just needs to be straightened, and you feel the original outer wheelhouse needs to be replaced because of crash damage, right?

I've seen this scenario before - and if you think back to the days when these cars were newer, this happened all the time. I've seen many where the original quarter was drilled and removed, straightened, the wheelhouse repaired or replaced, and the original quarter put back on. We see people swapping quarters from other cars all the time... this is actually easier, as all your spotweld holes will line up again perfectly.

It's alot of work, and it's going to take time to be careful not to damage the quarter when removing it, but it may be a good way to go. You'll have to be sure the car is mounted rigidly so it doesn't twist when you pull the quarter, and the quarter will want to change shape when you remove it, also. It's not going to be "easy", but it could be cleaner then stitching in a quarter patch.

I guess if I were going to break factory welds, I would just put on an aftermarket full quarter and be done with it. Was hoping to save the factory installation of the quarter. The area that needs metal worked is so far up into the trunk and so far down to where the outside wheel well and quarter meet that I can't get any tools in there to fix it.

Yes, the outer wheel well has crash damage, but again, if a guy could get at it, it could also be straightened. I figured if I were going to sacrafice an original weld, that would be the best panel to do it on...

I think V8TV should come and get it and do a couple segments on it to show everyone else how to do it.

Old 12-23-2007, 03:30 PM

I believe that you're not sacrificing a weld, you're sacrificing the panel. The aftermarket panels are great to have access to, but they're still not THE original panel, and they do look a little different. The creases tend not to be as crisp, and they may not fit the way your original does. The welds go back together... metal is metal, it can all weld back up strong and clean if the tech knows what to do.

Maybe post a couple pics of what you've got and people can throw their thoughts at it.

We'd love to come do it... we're a little busy right now, though!

Old 12-24-2007, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I too was going to suggest you pull the original quarter off and reinstall it after repairing the wheelhouse but since I've never done it myself I wasn't sure it could be done without ruining it.
I thought that it would be very tough up in the rear glass and trunk opening areas.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default My Quarter

OK....here is a shot of what I have been working with. The "still primered" areas in on the quarter are the low areas. I have since hammered and dollied most of it out. Also used a stud gun and slide hammer to pull more. The area that I can't do much with is the area right at the wheel opening. If you look closely, you will see that it is still pushed in around 3/8".

I got behind it with a porta-power and pushed a lot of it out, but the way the outer wheel housing is bent makes it difficult to move it further....

Or, maybe it should just be replaced?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Judge quarter 3 (Small).jpg
Views:	113
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	115603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Judge Quarter 005 (Small).jpg
Views:	100
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	115604  

Old 12-24-2007, 12:00 PM

Yeah, that's pretty rough. You could probably spend the rest of your life pounding on that one, but it's pretty stretched out, also... you'll need to do some major shrinking as well.

In that case, I'd try a new panel... (OPGI is having a sale... )

http://www.opgi.com/product.asp?topc...116&yearrange=
$448 isn't bad for a complete panel to the roof.

I'd do the whole panel - remove the interior, glass, trim, weatherstrip, trunk stuff, and start drilling. Your car does not have a distinct body contour to use as a break, and you don't want to spend forever grinding a weld in the middle of a panel - too much risk of heat warpage, tons of filler, etc.

That's my $.02, for what it's worth.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:37 PM

Here's some crappy camera-phone shots of the "S71" Oldsmobile's frame after returning from the media blaster today... we were pleased to see the frame is in great shape, with the original stamped numbers clearly visible on the rear side rail. Soon, we'll be adding some supports and boxing this frame to give it some additional strength.

http://v8tvshow.com/content/view/472/43/