Old 06-22-2010, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pontiac plant may have done them that way, but my Kansas City car is shown here when I started disassembly about three years ago, and I can ASSURE you guys that this firewall was NEVER redone before. It will be when I get through, but it will be the same as it always was, just fresher.

Outside was repainted before, but never the engine compartment.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3857.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	209800  

Old 06-23-2010, 01:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sstuff View Post
If the below pic is from your car it sure looks like some printing on the top side of the hose directly out from the PB check valve. If it's someone else's car, my apologies. It even looks like the last half of the word BRAKE??? I will admit at my age the eyes aren't what they used to be. Thanks anyway for the reply! Chris.
That's from my '67, whatever was there isn't now that I can tell, never really paid much attention to it before, it's been wiped down to many times I guess.

1967 Firebird 400 bench seat, deluxe interior, auto
1965 GTO 462, KRE unported D-port heads, Bullet 234/244 cam, th400, tight 10" converter, 3.73 gears, 87 octane, 3440 lbs. empty,1.59 60ft, 7.159@95.33 (1/8), a real daily driver, been totaled, rolled 3 times, hit a tree airborne.
1961 Catalina 2 door htp
1960 Ventura 4 door htp wife's car
1960 B'ville 2 door htp
1960 Catalina Wagon wife's car too
Old 12-06-2010, 12:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My Kansas built 67 GTO also is showing the original Robins Egg blue engine paint color.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GTO Jim View Post
I was living in the Detroit area when I first got my current GTO back in the 80s. I noticed two areas on the underside of the hood near the front lip that were not painted black. Here is what I was told back then by several guys who worked at the Pontiac Plant at the time my car was built. In the 60s at the Pontiac Plant, the car hoods were hung vertically from two spots when they painted the underside.... Jim
Jim, your two sources were wrong, at least for the model year 1964. Here's a factory photo of the sheet metal paint booths in the Pontiac plant in 1964.

As we can see, the hood, this one appears to be a GTO variant, was positioned laying flat on two t-shaped upright stanchions. Painting a hood while it is flat makes more sense than painting it in a vertical position; less chance for runs and sags when it is flat.

You can also see the two fenders as they travel into the curing oven. To the far right hand side of this photo we can also see a pair of unpainted fenders on their way to the spray booth.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok, these under the hood photos with body color paint underneath are what was on the 3 I had back in the 70s, with their insulation pad. I never had the pads off so it looks like that's the reason I figured the whole undeside of the hoods were painted body color. Photos shown of the undersides look like pretty thick overspray to me on the front hood's underside.

60sstuff, that firewall looks original, is it?

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My Baltimore built '67 is not body color under the hood. It's flat-ish black (where the insulation pad ought to be) with body color at the edges. My Fremont built '65 is the same way, but someone gloss blacked the underside of the hood before I got it....

Old 12-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got to looking qt the underside of my hood this afternoon and can see Martinique Bronze in places where the black is chipping off it. The guy that owned it before me had black painted under there and it doesn't look like the MB paint was sanded much, if at all. The original paint looks to be pretty heavy where it can be seen all around on the outside of the insulation pad, not like it's overspray. This is also a Baltimore GTO.

The painter didn't prep the engine bay all that well so any original paint is starting to show again. I'm either going to use thinner and get all the black off I can, leaving the original paint, or I'll paint red where it's supposed to be.... for now. It might look strange if I have a red body and Martinique Bronze under the hood. A two-tone paint job at it's worst. LOL

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.