Old 06-19-2010, 03:12 PM

Default Finish of underside of hood on 67 GTO. Any plant variances?

Does anyone know if there were any differences regarding how the various assembly plants finished the underside of the hood?

Old 06-19-2010, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One thing I noticed on some original 65-67 A-bodies was that the underside of the Pontiac MI painted hoods had a little more body color overspray than other plants. On some cars, you can see from the overspray where the hooks held the hood while it was being painted.

I had a 67 Fremont built survivor car a few years ago but it didn't have any overspray underneath.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripower View Post
One thing I noticed on some original 65-67 A-bodies was that the underside of the Pontiac MI painted hoods had a little more body color overspray than other plants. On some cars, you can see from the overspray where the hooks held the hood while it was being painted.
I was living in the Detroit area when I first got my current GTO back in the 80s. I noticed two areas on the underside of the hood near the front lip that were not painted black. Here is what I was told back then by several guys who worked at the Pontiac Plant at the time my car was built. In the 60s at the Pontiac Plant, the car hoods were hung vertically from two spots when they painted the underside. There was a square patch about four by four inches about halfway in between the outside edges and the middle of the hood when looking along the front lip where there is no underhood paint. This small area was where the hangers were located during painting. The hoods then received the body color paint on the top side. My GTO had these patches until the guy who was painting my engine compartment while the engine was out also painted the underside of the hood unfortunately eliminating these original patches. AAARGGH

I have looked at many Pontiac Plant "survivor" cars (GTO and others) over the years and they all had these patches that were actually not painted versus overspray. Jim

Old 06-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

All 3 my Baltimore built 66 GTOs, and 66 Tempest, had body color paint under the hood. And inside of trunk lid too. That I do remember, even with my CRS affliction.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
All 3 my Baltimore built 66 GTOs, and 66 Tempest, had body color paint under the hood. And inside of trunk lid too. That I do remember, even with my CRS affliction.
Now that's a new one on me. I've had original Balitmore cars, and they were always painted similar to the Pontiac cars; black with car color overspray around the edges.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 06-20-2010, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are some great pics of a low mileage, untouched 67 engine bay. It's owned by a member here, Duck's Goat.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=458442

Old 06-20-2010, 12:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Smile

Jerry
I don't think I'd call almost 127,000 miles "low mileage". Most people that look at it don't realize that it has that many miles, the original owner parked it in a dirt floor mill hill barn back in '72-'73 and I bought it in '93 with about 97,000 on it. Actually one of the judges at the Co-vention complained that I didn't have the correct fuses in the fuse block, I guess he thought it was a 27,000 mile car. If you guys need any better pics underhood just let me know.

1967 Firebird 400 bench seat, deluxe interior, auto
1965 GTO 462, KRE unported D-port heads, Bullet 234/244 cam, th400, tight 10" converter, 3.73 gears, 87 octane, 3440 lbs. empty,1.59 60ft, 7.159@95.33 (1/8), a real daily driver, been totaled, rolled 3 times, hit a tree airborne.
1961 Catalina 2 door htp
1960 Ventura 4 door htp wife's car
1960 B'ville 2 door htp
1960 Catalina Wagon wife's car too
Old 06-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jerry, The Gold 66 GTO in 1973 was all original paint with gold on the underside of the hood, and it looked old too. My Nightwatch Blue 66 Tempest in 1972 was all original also, with body color on underside of the hood. The Mariner Turquois GTO's body was repainted so it is possible they painted under the hood when that was done. But it looked pretty original under there to me. You could see the new paint overspray on the older tired turquois.

Those 3 GTOs are why I've always figured the Pontiac A-bodies were factory painted under the hood. But I have been told they weren't a number of times. I've also been told that when you think things were done one way, something comes along and throws that theory right out the Plant's windows.

I do remember too that Dad's 1960 grey Catalina and white 64 Star Chief were body color under the hood. I left a few bloody head prints in the underside of their hoods, and remember their color all too well when washing the blood off. Those dam sharp edges hurt. Tho I've no idea what plants they came from.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 06-20-2010, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Yes Please

D G - GREAT Original Engine Bay! Just the way I prefer them as what you see is what it's supposed to be! Would the 11/32'' hose coming off the power brake booster be original and if so can you see any printing on it (Gates, Swan, etc.) ??
Also does the power steering return hose use pinch clamps at both ends?
Pics would be great showing your findings if possible. THANKS! Chris at s60sstuff@hotmail.com

Old 06-20-2010, 04:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GTO Jim View Post
I was living in the Detroit area when I first got my current GTO back in the 80s. I noticed two areas on the underside of the hood near the front lip that were not painted black. Here is what I was told back then by several guys who worked at the Pontiac Plant at the time my car was built. In the 60s at the Pontiac Plant, the car hoods were hung vertically from two spots when they painted the underside. There was a square patch about four by four inches about halfway in between the outside edges and the middle of the hood when looking along the front lip where there is no underhood paint. This small area was where the hangers were located during painting. The hoods then received the body color paint on the top side. My GTO had these patches until the guy who was painting my engine compartment while the engine was out also painted the underside of the hood unfortunately eliminating these original patches. AAARGGH

I have looked at many Pontiac Plant "survivor" cars (GTO and others) over the years and they all had these patches that were actually not painted versus overspray. Jim
OOOPS!!! After looking at pics of my car, it was exactly the opposite of what I described. That's what I get for going from memory at my age! The hood was painted body color on top while while hanging vertically. The 4 inch squares were "unpainted" and the rest of the underhood has body color overspray. See the attached picture of from the first day I brought the car home and you will see the black squares just under the front lip of the hood that I was describing. Also see the body color where the hood pad is not covering the underside. Sorry for the confusion, when you get old confusion is a way of life! Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66 GTO Conv 1st Day 001.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	209589  

Old 06-20-2010, 08:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is what I was mentioning before. This was from a low mile 65 Tempest (P Plant). Hard to tell but it looks like body overspray masked off by the hooks holding the hood while it was being painted. The owner claimed this car had only 356 miles on it. Can't remember the story on that but it looked legit to me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1965 Tempest Convt 11-02-2004 014.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	209618  

Old 06-20-2010, 09:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks Goat View Post
Jerry
I don't think I'd call almost 127,000 miles "low mileage". Most people that look at it don't realize that it has that many miles, the original owner parked it in a dirt floor mill hill barn back in '72-'73 and I bought it in '93 with about 97,000 on it. Actually one of the judges at the Co-vention complained that I didn't have the correct fuses in the fuse block, I guess he thought it was a 27,000 mile car. If you guys need any better pics underhood just let me know.
First time I saw your car was at Greenville in 2006. If I were a betting man, I would have sworn it was 27,000 miles, not 127,000. Very well kept original! I love it and please keep it as it is!

Old 06-20-2010, 10:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't know if this will help,unrestored 66 with 91,000 miles.I threw in a pic of the firewall too.Last pic is just an unusual marking on the right inner fender.Not sure if it's a number 4,letter 'h',or 'y'.Or nothing at all.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picturegto 114.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	209634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picturegto 113.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	209635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picturegto 110.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	209636  

Old 06-21-2010, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Gosh darn it,you guys!!!! I was just thinking,great thread,as I love to learn about
"factory" stuff. Then,after seeing these cool photos,I just sat staight up.and said"Oh,oh"

I have my 65 hood off the cr and just went out to look at the underside.It was restored by JIm Mott in the early 90s and he was vary careful about reproducing the anmilies on my car.e.g. the trunk paint is exactly how it was paintd.(partial coverage)the outside morror is off alittle,etc.

Now,the underside of my car hood is all black. There is no overspray at all. I see in the pictures that the front of the hood is body color in several pics.Norm,I think I see body color over alot of yours!! Are what you guys are aluding to,that the car color was way oversprayed in certain instances? Norm's picture looks like it was really oversprayed.But,the clamped area is obvious.cool. Goatman,I see a bar like area on yours that is black,was a different system used to "hang" the hoods??

What is the factory black that was used to paint under the hood? 60 degree? Flattened black? Anyone know for sure?? HELP.my car is a March KC 65,maybe Jim did reproduce it exactly? Maybe not,from your cool photos. thanks Larry B.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpop View Post
HELP.my car is a March KC 65,maybe Jim did reproduce it exactly? Maybe not,from your cool photos. thanks Larry B.
Bigpop,

Unfortunately, without my knowledge, the guy that was painting my engine compartment a few years ago, painted the underside of my hood black, obliterating the factory overspray and the black hanger patches. Kansas City Plant may have differed from the way the Pontiac Plant did things. You may want to find some pics of a KC Plant unrestored undehood. Jim

Old 06-21-2010, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Actually,I am going on Sunday to the Bloomington Meet that features survivors.I hope Ed,who posts here is still bringing his 65 4400 mile unrestored car.Why? It is a KC car
that was built about two weeks before mine. Pretty lucky. It is a black car but,I should be able to tell the difference from Starlight Black and the black underhood paint.
I am also interested in the factory markings that still exist,I am told.You know,daubs for torqueing,inspecting,OKing,etc. Should be interesting. Larry B.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Larry, make sure you DO NOT Forget your camera, and get us lots of pictures.

I know you won't, but it's just a friendly reminder.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 06-21-2010, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Larry, make sure you DO NOT Forget your camera, and get us lots of pictures.

I know you won't, but it's just a friendly reminder.
HA! Guess who he recruited to get under the car to take pics.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sstuff View Post
D G - GREAT Original Engine Bay! Just the way I prefer them as what you see is what it's supposed to be! Would the 11/32'' hose coming off the power brake booster be original and if so can you see any printing on it (Gates, Swan, etc.) ??
Also does the power steering return hose use pinch clamps at both ends?
Pics would be great showing your findings if possible. THANKS! Chris at s60sstuff@hotmail.com
I haven't replaced the booster hose, it's hard as a brick and I don't see any markings on it. When I got the car it still had the white paper tag on the check valve, I don't recall the letter code that was on it but I'm sure it would match the code on the build sheet, anyway it turned to dust as soon as it was touched. The return hose was replaced by me and both ends used the pinch clamps, had to cut them off since they are a one shot deal, but I kept the original ones somewhere.

1967 Firebird 400 bench seat, deluxe interior, auto
1965 GTO 462, KRE unported D-port heads, Bullet 234/244 cam, th400, tight 10" converter, 3.73 gears, 87 octane, 3440 lbs. empty,1.59 60ft, 7.159@95.33 (1/8), a real daily driver, been totaled, rolled 3 times, hit a tree airborne.
1961 Catalina 2 door htp
1960 Ventura 4 door htp wife's car
1960 B'ville 2 door htp
1960 Catalina Wagon wife's car too
Old 06-22-2010, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Looks like printing on top?

If the below pic is from your car it sure looks like some printing on the top side of the hose directly out from the PB check valve. If it's someone else's car, my apologies. It even looks like the last half of the word BRAKE??? I will admit at my age the eyes aren't what they used to be. Thanks anyway for the reply! Chris.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	67-2.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	209798