THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-20-2024, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have attended two rattlesnake hunts, you run into some very interesting people. Sampling freshly cooked rattlesnake, wasn't bad. Like any cooked oddball game, am sure one could grow tired of it. I'm out on any recipes from the latest big constrictor from the Everglades. Not much on rabbit or squirrel, though I'm sure I can run down a few older Native American women that could make either very palatable.

As a teen, our big standup freezers in the washhouse at the farm were full of black Angus beef, farm caught catfish & froglegs, Crappie from the local lakes, Dove breasts, Red Snapper from late Fall fishing trip to the SE Texas coast. Quail & most of our freshly harvested dove breast typ made it quickly onto the table for Supper, while I like pan fried froglegs, can only eat so much. My nearest neighbor has 2+ big standup freezers in his garage full of venison from the last few seasons. not sure how that supply will ever be eaten up. Wife & I are looking into a big standup freezer, just am concerned about its energy demands if local power & natural gas was interrupted.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 03-20-2024 at 01:30 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 'ol Pinion head For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pont3 View Post
Have any of you ever eaten snake meat? I haven't and don't plan to do so. For those of you who have, what do you think?
I’ve eaten rattlesnake, which isn’t bad; it DOES taste an awful like dark meat chicken.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 03-25-2024, 05:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB VIDAN View Post
Isn't this being done to save the earth? Steers fart and snakes don't? Never was much of a science guy.
Someone may have already corrected you and I missed it but according to the internet snakes do fart.

Old 03-25-2024, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
My only objection is based on the word "replace" used by the OP in the title. I've eaten snake, gator, frog, snails, ostrich, Emu and lots of other things.. All by choice. Everything I eat is by choice. If somebody else wants me to replace anything, the answer is no.
Ever eaten groundhog, muskrat, or squirrel? I grew up eating these on a regular basis. When you visited my paternal grandfather and he asked if you were hungry, you didn’t ask what was in his double boiler; you just ate it. Grandpa Ernest trapped to supplement his Army pension($68 per month)and his Social Security($200 per month). As a trapper and a retired farmer he didn’t believe in wasting anything. Grandpa Ernest only trapped muskrats, so when he had a half dozen or so he slow cooked them after he had cleaned and removed their pelts. When it came to the hogs he raised the joke in the family was we ate everything but the oink! Head cheese and souse were delicious when prepared correctly.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 03-25-2024, 06:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
Ever eaten groundhog, muskrat, or squirrel? I grew up eating these on a regular basis. When you visited my paternal grandfather and he asked if you were hungry, you didn’t ask what was in his double boiler; you just ate it. Grandpa Ernest trapped to supplement his Army pension($68 per month)and his Social Security($200 per month). As a trapper and a retired farmer he didn’t believe in wasting anything. Grandpa Ernest only trapped muskrats, so when he had a half dozen or so he slow cooked them after he had cleaned and removed their pelts. When it came to the hogs he raised the joke in the family was we ate everything but the oink! Head cheese and souse were delicious when prepared correctly.
No, but I did leave out shrimp heads. It's allegedly a Japanese delicacy. I thought it was horrible. Kind if like a combination of egg shells, sand and bland mushy stuff (eyes and brain). I'd rather eat a golf ball size lump of wasabi than eat that again.

I would imagine that squirrel and groundhog would be similar to rabbit? I've had plenty of that too.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
The Following User Says Thank You to jhein For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
No, but I did leave out shrimp heads. It's allegedly a Japanese delicacy. I thought it was horrible. Kind if like a combination of egg shells, sand and bland mushy stuff (eyes and brain). I'd rather eat a golf ball size lump of wasabi than eat that again.

I would imagine that squirrel and groundhog would be similar to rabbit? I've had plenty of that too.
Groundhog tastes about like pork, only not as fatty. The problem with groundhog is you have to remove the musk glands at the base of each leg or it is unfit to eat. Squirrel is a bit gamier than wild rabbit, but it too tastes a lot like dark meat chicken, just not as greasy. Wild turtle is something I really like, but too many bodies of water are contaminated with farm run-off and fecal chloroform bacteria to catch and eat them anymore

Dr. Thomas Sowell
The Following User Says Thank You to hurryinhoosier62 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2024, 10:55 AM
Senior Chief

6 weeks ago I went plant based. I’m down 13.5 lbs, and my cholesterol went from 214 to 170. After watching “You Are What You Eat” and “What the Health” I decided to give it a try. It doesn’t suck and some of the recipes I found are fantastic. I’m not trying to convert anyone and I still eat meat on certain occasions but by just consciously reducing my meat intake I’m dropping pounds and we all know that if we are lighter, our cars go faster so I’ll say I’m doing it for performance improvement!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-01-2024, 07:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid View Post
6 weeks ago I went plant based. I’m down 13.5 lbs, and my cholesterol went from 214 to 170. After watching “You Are What You Eat” and “What the Health” I decided to give it a try. It doesn’t suck and some of the recipes I found are fantastic. I’m not trying to convert anyone and I still eat meat on certain occasions but by just consciously reducing my meat intake I’m dropping pounds and we all know that if we are lighter, our cars go faster so I’ll say I’m doing it for performance improvement!
Absolutely. Just because there's no meat doesn't mean it can't taste great.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
The Following User Says Thank You to jhein For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2024, 12:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This come up due to the major surplus of snake meat in Florida? The snakes they have could feed a bunch of folks, things are Huge .

Old 04-04-2024, 12:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
This come up due to the major surplus of snake meat in Florida? The snakes they have could feed a bunch of folks, things are Huge .
Yep. Pythons have reduced the small animal population in the Everglades by 90%. The annual python hunt started while we still lived in SE FL. The largest one caught that year was a mere 110lbs.

Dr. Thomas Sowell