Old 12-24-2005, 02:49 AM
formerly Steved400

Send a message via Yahoo to Steve Hoog

ROFLMAO

The whole board is going to thing we're nuts.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Old 12-24-2005, 11:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hopefully it's not just the time of year, but it's great to see people actually trying to help one another, without trying to finance their retirement with it.
I just can't for the life of me figure out why Dave made his very personal, very specific, attack against me. I know I've spoken with some sellers in the past, who for whatever reason, either by pricing or just their natural arrogance and bad attitude, I have quickly written off. The conversation would typically start with me telling them what I was looking for, and the seller (if it's one that I write off) replying that he has it, can't tell me the condition, won't send me pictures, but wants a gazillion dollars for it. Then, when I try to press for the details that should be provided as a matter of course, I get nothing but attitude, since I didn't immediately whip out my wallet.
This exact scenario has been repeated many times with numerous sellers, most memorably Barry Martin (Sonic Motors), and from what I have heard, Potomac Pontiac Parts (that you, Dave??). That Dave seems to remember me with such detail, I should perhaps feel honored.
While the hobby has suffered for those who need some of these parts, I firmly believe that this is a temporary blip. These prices are being driven by aging baby boomers who now have money, and who want to get some of their youth back. So, at the moment, prices are going insane. But- just wait until the next stock market correction, or when some of the corporate pension plans start going under, or, inevitably, when some of us start dying off, and you will find that a lot more cars and parts will be available, at MUCH better prices.
And, desire is only half of the equation. GREED is the other, since in any business transaction, there is both the buyer AND the seller. If someone needed a part more than anyone has ever needed a part in the history of auto restoration, and you had it, but the guy was a little short on money (compared to your asking price), I'm certain that he would be going home without it. And, the only reason, would be because of YOUR inflexibility, driven by greed.

Old 12-24-2005, 01:38 PM
Senior Chief

I have made many friends over the years buying and selling parts. ALL of the transactions have been pleasant. I am a very lucky guy. I listed some NOS '70 GTO tailight assemblies in the original boxes years ago for $650. I got a couple emails from Thomas J Hartman. I was insulted and flamed for my asking price. I was never asked for any information, pictures or the like. Just told i was a fool and that ONE day I might find another fool to pay that for them. He told me he was a Ford engineer and that he knew what they were worth. When i find someone asking too much for something I say thanks I'll keep you in mind or I'll try to get back to them when I can afford their price. I have never dealt with anyone as arrogant and rude as TJH. Just thought the 10k quarter statement was hypocritical after what he said to me about my price for the assemblies. I do agree with TJH in that I am not worth remembering. I do remember I sold the assemblies a few days later. I am not in business. It's just a hobby. Merry Christmas to ALL!!

Old 12-24-2005, 01:55 PM
Suspended

I sold a 68 NOS GTO convert 1/4 panel with no body damage last year for less than a 1/4 of what is being talked about for a pair of 70s.

I think it might be a good idea to buy some repo fenders, rework the marker light so it fits, paint it up like a Judge fender and let is sit in the rain for a couple of months upside down---then sell it on ebay as an original that was taken off back in the 70s.

Old 12-24-2005, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dave- Sorry- I honestly do not remember flaming or insulting anyone via email, particularly in an initial contact. If I received a snotty reply to that initial email, however, a reply in kind would have to be expected.
I am also sure that you don't still have those emails, to prove my recollections incorrect.
The last time that I recall even looking for these parts, was WELL over 7-8 YEARS ago. Please try to get over it, and get on with life, as I have.