Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 10:34 AM
formerly Steved400

Send a message via Yahoo to Steve Hoog

Strange this thread would end up in the for sale section when it's not a for sale thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Hoog For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2012, 02:57 PM

Don............Your just up the road from me !
Whos the guy on 414 (a few miles off 104) with all the Olds in his front yard?

Old 12-06-2012, 08:02 PM
PY VIP

Not sure- haven't been back that way in a while. Sounds like a road trip is in order!

Founding Editor-in-Chief, Poncho Perfection Magazine (October 1, 2015- present)
www.ponchoperfection.com
Contributing Editor: Collectible Automobile (1999- present)

Author:
"Grand Prix: Pontiac's Luxury Performance Car" (Released April 27, 2007)
"How to Restore Your Pontiac GTO" (Released July 15, 2012)
"Pontiac Concept and Show Cars, 1939-1980" (Release Date April, 2016)

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."
Old 12-06-2012, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hoog View Post
Strange this thread would end up in the for sale section when it's not a for sale thread.
i guess you should ask first, which moderator moved it.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:52 PM

I'm sure this car is worth restoring(or swapping vin tags/LOL), but if I were the "final" buyer & paying $125k-190k, I'd much prefer to get a car that "survived" fairly well, and not one that looked like this & had every part(except the trunkfloor) replaced. But thats just me....

Old 12-07-2012, 05:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok, maybe this is the wrong thread to ask but im going to anyway because this car seems like a good candidate for this....

What are the legalities/rules when swapping ID tags on cars? I know its looked down upon but is it actually illegal? Lets say some guy has a nice 69' lemans convertable. He wants to make that car worth a ton and wants to buy this car simply for the tags and GTO only stuff to swap on to it. Is it actually illegal {serve jail time if caught} to just swap tags, engine, tranny, rear and frame stamped pieces? What if the guy used the stock frame from the Judge convertable, used the whole Judge firewall and drivetrain and dropped everything else from the lemans on top of it effectively using the body parts to replace rotten stuff on the Judge??? I dont get how anyone could get caught doing this, they could just say the lemans was a parts car??

Yes i know this is a touchy subject. No I do not have a 69' lemans convertable, and even if I did I couldnt afford this car so. Im just curious as to what the real low down is on musclecar fraud. It just seems to me like there are endless supplies of original SS Chevelles on EBAY and hardly any of the more common Malibu in comparrasson if you get what im saying....

Old 12-07-2012, 08:46 AM
formerly Steved400

You all have the wrong idea about this car, it is not even close enough for what some might consider as a retag candidate.

Gary, are there some better pics you could take or maybe sand down some of the nasty spots to show them, pull the shag up for a full pan shot? Rollback it to my house and I'll do some of this if you don't want to.

Remember this car has been inside for well over 20 years in a dry enviroment; granted I have not looked at it for purchase review but I never got the impression it was only worth the tags, and I don't agree with retags anyway.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

there is no way in the world this car needs rebodied. goodness ive seen plain jane hardtops restored that started worse than this one.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:15 AM
PY VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks67GTO View Post
Ok, maybe this is the wrong thread to ask but im going to anyway because this car seems like a good candidate for this....

What are the legalities/rules when swapping ID tags on cars? I know its looked down upon but is it actually illegal? Lets say some guy has a nice 69' lemans convertable. He wants to make that car worth a ton and wants to buy this car simply for the tags and GTO only stuff to swap on to it. Is it actually illegal {serve jail time if caught} to just swap tags, engine, tranny, rear and frame stamped pieces? What if the guy used the stock frame from the Judge convertable, used the whole Judge firewall and drivetrain and dropped everything else from the lemans on top of it effectively using the body parts to replace rotten stuff on the Judge??? I dont get how anyone could get caught doing this, they could just say the lemans was a parts car??

Yes i know this is a touchy subject. No I do not have a 69' lemans convertable, and even if I did I couldnt afford this car so. Im just curious as to what the real low down is on musclecar fraud. It just seems to me like there are endless supplies of original SS Chevelles on EBAY and hardly any of the more common Malibu in comparrasson if you get what im saying....

Just to be clear, removing and/or replacing a VIN tag is a FEDERAL offense. Jail time? You betcha...

Founding Editor-in-Chief, Poncho Perfection Magazine (October 1, 2015- present)
www.ponchoperfection.com
Contributing Editor: Collectible Automobile (1999- present)

Author:
"Grand Prix: Pontiac's Luxury Performance Car" (Released April 27, 2007)
"How to Restore Your Pontiac GTO" (Released July 15, 2012)
"Pontiac Concept and Show Cars, 1939-1980" (Release Date April, 2016)

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."
Old 12-07-2012, 11:20 AM
formerly Steved400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Keefe View Post
Just to be clear, removing and/or replacing a VIN tag is a FEDERAL offense. Jail time? You betcha...
But unfortunately it happens.

We had a guy bring a Judge up to our dealership here many years ago and wanted us to look at it; they called me out because I am the resident expert. When I walked around to the window and saw the regular rivets it was tragedy time; he had just paid a small fortune for this supposed original Judge, he did not take the news well.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Suspended

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_collector View Post
bogus, that is the original spoiler that came on the car. want to see bogus, go look in your garage

Old 12-08-2012, 11:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

since this thread was moved to the classifieds by a certain moderator, am i to assume based on the py rules that moderator black cat should be suspended for slamming the value of my car??? i copied and posted the rules that they laid out below

Stay out of the Classifieds, even if you think that your 'expert advice' is needed here.

All of you experts that think you're doing the hobby a service by analyzing, correcting, educating and generally trying to 'Father' the classifieds, MUST refrain from doing so.

The abuse of sellers in this format must end. If a particular seller engages in repeated bad business practices here on PY, we have a forum for that.

Not cool anymore.

Leave the sellers alone, keep your 'helpful advice' to yourself and out of their ad space.

Don't say their stuff is too expensive right there in their ad.

Don't say that you sold the same thing for much less a while back.

Don't inform them about current market conditions.

Don't try to sell your car or parts in their ad thread! That's the lowest you can get!

If you feel the need to communicate with the seller, just PM him.

We consider this a common courtesy for the posting member, the readers and the management of the PY Forums.

Effective immediately, we will strictly be enforcing this long standing policy. Members who disregard, forget, can't help themselves etc. will be immediately suspended. Repeat offenders run the risk of being permanently removed from the PY Forums community

Old 12-09-2012, 12:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There were already multiple posts made that wouldn't fit well in a "car for sale classified listing" by the time it was relocated here.

This thread should be completely deleted.
Or moved back to the Lobby, over to the Judge section, or Club House. imho

The unsuspecting classifieds reader would think we're all monsters and sabotagers.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baron Von Zeppelin For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread