Old 12-03-2013, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

if you cant do it right at the present, wait til ya can....a car that survives that well, needs to be done right....

do it because ya love it, not because its an investment, you'll enjoy it more

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 12-03-2013, 11:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post
if you cant do it right at the present, wait til ya can....a car that survives that well, needs to be done right....

Absolutely. I am prepared to be without the car for a year or so once work starts. One of my good friends owns a high-end resto shop and does excellent work.

This car could be a gem at some point. Still have a daughter in college, might have to wait.

1970 GTO Judge
RA-III, 4-SPD & A/C. Power Windows, Power Seat, Power Brakes, Steering, AM/FM, 8-Track, Formula Wheel, Rallye Gauges, Remote Mirror, Numbers Matching. Assembled at Pontiac, MI Plant 5/26/1970.

1968 GTO
461 CI, RA-III heads, Hotchkis springs, UMI suspension, Bilstein shocks, 12-bolt 3.73's.

1966 GTO Ragtop
4-Speed, AM/FM, Original driveline.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd be tempted to sort out any mechanical issues it had, do some spot repairs
on the worst of it's warts & drive the wheels off of it.

That would give you a few years of enjoyment while you collect any needed parts and let your daughter graduate from college too.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:37 PM
Suspended

I stated that the exhaust manifolds in the pic to me looked like they were the std. manifolds. To me in the pic it looked like they were the wrong manifolds to me. If I'm wrong I'm sorry for that , but in the pic it looked like the wrong ones . If the pic would have been maybe at a different angle then , well. If they are the correct then I retract my statement. I am sorry for the mistake it is a nice car I just jumped the gun this time.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well done Rex!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
The Following User Says Thank You to The Boss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2013, 07:49 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post

X 2. Congrats on the car and bringing it back to its original form.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
I stated that the exhaust manifolds in the pic to me looked like they were the std. manifolds. To me in the pic it looked like they were the wrong manifolds to me. If I'm wrong I'm sorry for that , but in the pic it looked like the wrong ones . If the pic would have been maybe at a different angle then , well. If they are the correct then I retract my statement. I am sorry for the mistake it is a nice car I just jumped the gun this time.
Not a big deal. You've provided good input in the past Rex. No worries...

1970 GTO Judge
RA-III, 4-SPD & A/C. Power Windows, Power Seat, Power Brakes, Steering, AM/FM, 8-Track, Formula Wheel, Rallye Gauges, Remote Mirror, Numbers Matching. Assembled at Pontiac, MI Plant 5/26/1970.

1968 GTO
461 CI, RA-III heads, Hotchkis springs, UMI suspension, Bilstein shocks, 12-bolt 3.73's.

1966 GTO Ragtop
Old 12-04-2013, 12:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would certainly get the car operational for cruise season next year. You would be surprised at how many looks you will get with that "Rat Muscle" look at cruise nights.

Enjoy it for 2014 and then consider the restoration after you have all the parts lined up.

Going back to original colors would mean Granada Gold with a Sandalwood Cordova Top and Sandalwood interior. Interesting combo for sure. Once it is done you won't see another like it around I bet.

I also have a Granada Gold 70 Judge with a Sierra Yellow painted top and Sandalwood interior. That will go back to stock colors as well.

Email jbr69gto@gmail.com

My Website www.minnesota-muscle.com

Old 12-04-2013, 08:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have already had the car insured for an agreed upon value like I did with my '68, the insurance is year-round and reasonable in price, so yea, I plan to drive it next spring. Gonna be a LONG damn winter!!! I have some news about parts I will share but need to lock them in first. Very excited about the treasure trove of NOS parts I can get for it. Just have to secure the funds, I have already stretched myself out here but felt this was worth it and managed to convince momma (wife) that this was a "can't lose deal".

There's a cool burger place near my shop that has classic car cruise-in's every Thursday in spring/summer/fall. The Judge will fit in nicely.

1970 GTO Judge

1968 GTO

1966 GTO Ragtop
Old 12-04-2013, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gold with the sandalwood interior will look great!

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 12-04-2013, 11:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to kylek350

When it's done, it should like something like this. Click the image to see the car on eBay.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:21 AM
Suspended

I like the 70 Judge second best to my 73 GTO. I'd really like to have a 70 orbit orange with real white interior not the ivory white that the 70's have. I love white interiors on all cars. Yes my 73 GTO is Florentine Red Met. with white interior. It's a 4spd 462, with 3:73 rear end. It runs mid 11's .If you can go to the A-body site you can see my car as on the site on any of the posts with my screen name Rexs73 or Rexs 73GTO when you see any of my posts you'll see my car on the left side of the screen. I bought it new. Not to say your car is going to look great in the color that your going back to. It will look great.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:31 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
It has the wrong exhaust manifolds on it if that the pic. it has reg. 400 exh. manifolds so to start it's not numbers matching.
No offense, or anything- but your definition of matching numbers is that no one ever swapped out exhaust manifolds, or lets say- brake booster, or maybe radiator- or alternator, or PS pump? Which changed-out components would make a 50 year old car non-matching numbers (in your eyes)?

I always believed personally that while it may not be AS original as a car that is entirely original, if the motor, tranny and rear end were all factory born with(and I even have leeway for the rear end in my opinion) then that is pretty damn matching numbers. But maybe I am not purist enough?

The Following User Says Thank You to Unclesamscandy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2013, 12:39 AM
Suspended

Uncle , you didn't rear all the posts but you are completely wrong in the eyes of everyone. If it's been changed it's not numbers matching because in the statement itself NUMBERS MATCHING explains itself. That would be like saying I have this NOS part it's only been on for a short time but it still NOS. NO IT"S NOT. Numbers matching means just that. Plain & simple. Fact not fiction.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:59 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylek350 View Post
When it's done, it should like something like this. Click the image to see the car on eBay.

Is it really that dark. Somehow I imagined it to be lighter.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Uncle , you didn't rear all the posts but you are completely wrong in the eyes of everyone. If it's been changed it's not numbers matching because in the statement itself NUMBERS MATCHING explains itself. That would be like saying I have this NOS part it's only been on for a short time but it still NOS. NO IT"S NOT. Numbers matching means just that. Plain & simple. Fact not fiction.
Good luck with your myths....

Old 12-05-2013, 08:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Retracting post 25.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
The Following User Says Thank You to The Boss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2013, 08:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I respectfully ask that my topic not become a flamefest. When I said my Judge was "Numbers Matching" I was referring to the engine block casting and transmission. Regardless, it sports the original exhaust manifolds. The car's not perfect. Far from it. But it's a real Judge.

And it's mine and it's paid for.

1970 GTO Judge

1968 GTO

1966 GTO Ragtop
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 6TEE8GTO For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2013, 09:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6TEE8GTO View Post
I respectfully ask that my topic not become a flamefest. When I said my Judge was "Numbers Matching" I was referring to the engine block casting and transmission. Regardless, it sports the original exhaust manifolds. The car's not perfect. Far from it. But it's a real Judge.

that is the given definition of numbers matching. it has always meant the vin# stamped on the engine and / or transmission matches the vin # of the car. only in the last number of years have people started trying to make it mean carb, dist, etc... and then they had to expand it now to born with .

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to muscle_collector For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2013, 10:34 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6TEE8GTO View Post

It might have the wrong coil (from NAPA) so send her to the crusher (just joking!) GREAT CAR! Enjoy!