The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 04-23-2017, 09:15 AM
Senior Chief

Default Rear of quarter panel to trunk deck panel avail?

Working on 68 lemans uncovered a nightmare on the driver side while removing old paint. The side was hit from the front fender to the rear bumper. Never in a million years did it look like it was hit. I was re painting because of rust bubbles in the common areas the guy that did that did the bondo work was a god bc it was a laser straight body. Anyway got to replace the whole quarter. In the attached photo the left rear was hit too but I can not find that rear quarter to trunk deck panel anywhere being it is a convertible. I don't want to buy the hardtop panel and cut it and have it not work bc of the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1968 LeMans Convertible - 462 w hydo roller comp cam forged flat tops- 6x-4 heads- performer intake - 800 cfm QJ- edelbrock 110 gph mech fuel pump- 4 row copper rad- followed by a Th400 w/2300rpm stall then a nodular 10 bolt posi w 3:90 gears ( need 3:55 bad
Old 04-23-2017, 10:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I also have a 68 convertible in need of quarter panel work. What I have read on this is the after market h/t panel will give you a lot of steel you can use. I think at the top where the panel flares out is the difference. I'm sure some who has used will add and if you search I think you will find some information , I don't think we will ever see replacement for the 68/69 convertible due to low production numbers. Doug

1979 400 Block, 1970 Heads, Unknown Cam, Comp Cam Lifters, Edelbrock RPM Intake, Hedman Headers, Holley 750 Carb, WFO Drop Base SOLD

1968 GTO convertable project. 400 auto with air. west coast car . Not started in 15 ..update now running (around block spinning tires all the way. Have a lot of cosmetic work to do winter of 17/18

1969 GTO 400 4 Speed this a complete project. Rebuild will start in spring of 2017. SOLD
Old 04-25-2017, 05:07 AM
Senior Chief

I feel the pain. I'm going through the same thing with my 68 GTO convertible. Under the bondo discovered that the car had been hit at the rear door jamb between the jamb and wheel well. My only choice is to experiment with the HT quarter if this car is ever going to be made whole again.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:19 PM
Senior Chief

Thats the full panel u guys are going with not just the skin? does that panel cover the part in the pic i posted? id like to get a panel that goes right to the trunk deck.

1968 LeMans Convertible - 462 w hydo roller comp cam forged flat tops- 6x-4 heads- performer intake - 800 cfm QJ- edelbrock 110 gph mech fuel pump- 4 row copper rad- followed by a Th400 w/2300rpm stall then a nodular 10 bolt posi w 3:90 gears ( need 3:55 bad
Old 04-26-2017, 03:51 AM
Senior Chief

Yes, I'm using a full panel. I cut the trunk and pillar section off to turn it into a skin that has the full door jamb. It's the only way I can see to replace my damaged door jamb.

The full panel does have the section in your pic. I'll have to check to see if the profile matches the convertible profile.

Here's a pic of a panel sold by one of the ebay vendors showing the corner.
Disclaimer "not advertising for said vendor" "Pic for reference only"