Old 03-05-2018, 02:46 PM

Default 69 convertible corner damage

Restoring a 69 convertible and need to replace the passenger quarter due to existing damage at the wheel well and the rear corner. Am aware of the contour difference between hardtop and vert quarters and the need to splice in the skin a few inches below the top corner, but don't know how this difference applies to the rear corner.
Can anyone tell me if the corner section of the hardtop and convertible are interchangeable? Can I cut a full replacement quarter into a skin section and a corner section or do I need to find a convertible specific corner section?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pass qtr.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	477319  

Old 03-05-2018, 04:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Had to do this same repair on the LH quarter on my 68 convertible....

The corner piece from a hardtop is different so finding a good corner from a convertible is your best bet. On my car, the corner section next to the decklid was good so I left enough material from the original corner and then cut off the entire corner from the replacement corner and metal worked it to the correct shape. Then I welded it back to the replacement quarter panel. I would have MUCH better preferred to use a good donor quarter but was unable to locate so I improvised.

If I remember correctly the hardtop corner body line rose up too quickly as it goes towards the front if the car so I had to shrink the metal to lay it down to match the body line of the convertible. Also moves away from the centerline of the car....so it goes in two different directions actually.

I can e-mail you pics of how I went about it if you like....or I can try and post here is you like.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Old 03-07-2018, 10:54 PM

Thanks for the response, I would be interested in seeing your pics if not a hassle since finding a replacement might be a long shoot. I sent you a PM with my email. Thanks

Old 04-17-2018, 04:48 PM
Senior Chief

I’m in the same boat if you guys emailed it - I’d appreciate if someone can fwd it to me. Mtnbktrek@hotmail.com

Thx

1968 LeMans Convertible - 462 w hydo roller comp cam forged flat tops- 6x-4 heads- performer intake - 800 cfm QJ- edelbrock 110 gph mech fuel pump- 4 row copper rad- followed by a Th400 w/2300rpm stall then a nodular 10 bolt posi w 3:90 gears ( need 3:55 bad
Old 04-17-2018, 05:20 PM
Suspended

That is boogered up for sure but nothing that cannot be repaired. Do a belt-cut and repair the top of the quarter when the belt-cut panel is removed.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:07 PM

I will forward you the information provided to me by PurelyGTO68

Old 04-17-2018, 11:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbktrek View Post
I’m in the same boat if you guys emailed it - I’d appreciate if someone can fwd it to me. Mtnbktrek@hotmail.com

Thx
I have posted the method I used to repair my car in this thread.

http://www.gtoforum.com/f83/restorin...doo-ii-127321/

Not sure what page its on so you might have to scan through until you find what you are interested in. Hope it helps.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I guess those of us with 68/69 convertibles will never see replacement quarter panels. I would take two tomorrow if I could buy. Doug

1979 400 Block, 1970 Heads, Unknown Cam, Comp Cam Lifters, Edelbrock RPM Intake, Hedman Headers, Holley 750 Carb, WFO Drop Base SOLD

1968 GTO convertable project. 400 auto with air. west coast car . Not started in 15 ..update now running (around block spinning tires all the way. Have a lot of cosmetic work to do winter of 17/18

1969 GTO 400 4 Speed this a complete project. Rebuild will start in spring of 2017. SOLD