Old 01-16-2020, 06:46 PM

Default 65 Catalina Sedan. Difficulty matching interior colour "83 Blue".

Hello PY,

Currently in the process of restoring the blue interior in my 65 Canadian Pontiac Laurentian 2 door sedan. Almost identical to the USA Catalina, interior wise. Interior is completely out, seats are getting done. I'm now trying to match up the interior blue paint, and I'm having a tough time. Been to two paint shops for spray can mix, and they can't quite get this blue correct (or even close). Using a reader at one shop (off the glovebox door), paint chips at the other. 4 cans into it now and getting frustrated. I'll keep trying but this is getting expensive.
The idea is to match to the blue that is on the kick panels, door and rear panels. Will be painting the lower and sides of the dash frame, steering colum collars, glovebox and ashtray door and window trim.
The GM Pontiac Catalina brochure states it as being "83 Blue" in the 2 and 4 door sedan. It's really a distinctive bright silver blue. Quite brilliant. Could it be a blue that was used for many different models through the 60's?

Does anyone know if there is a factory colour that could be suggested that would work here? Or an available off the shelf colour from a vendor? I see Ames has a VDM12 "Light Blue" and VMD14 "Bright blue", and I'm contemplating trying these.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Images below are taken from the web, but they illustrate what I have,
Cheers and Thanks, Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cat1.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	528936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cat2.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	528937  

Old 01-16-2020, 07:15 PM

This is a link to the old color chip chart for 1965 Pontiacs. If you click on the second page, it has color codes for the interior paint colors. You may be able to get them cross referenced to modern paint codes. https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/pag...l#modal-close2

Old 01-16-2020, 07:40 PM

Thanks Stuart, it's a start!

So it looks like medium blue poly (fontaine blue poly), Ditzler 13006.

Old 01-17-2020, 12:45 AM

Looks like I might have found a number that will work. I'm in Canada and there is a cross Canada paint company call Rondex that might have what I need.
Code is 353022 IR. Light french blue. Nason base. This from a person that successfully touched up a 66 of the same interior colour scheme. Says, remarkably it was a 100% match!
Thanks again.

Old 01-17-2020, 07:57 PM

For any Canadians, turns out Rondex 353022, although more brilliant, is a decent match, a nice tone...provided you are painting all the trim. Cheers.