Old 03-27-2020, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
There are "merchandised" option codes and "non-merchandised" option codes.

The merchandised option code is the one the customer selects (ie, "I want a manual trans", or "I want an automatic trans"). The non-merchandised option code is the specific trans, in terms of capacity or gear ratios, that the engineering release charts choose on the customer's behalf, taking into consideration powertrain, GVW rating, etc.

It doesn't really matter when there is only one trans part number or type is offered, but when there are multiple choices then it becomes significant.

Let me use a pickup truck example, since there is more proliferation in that product line:

Let's say you want a "three on the tree":

You tell your dealer and he chooses the "merchandised" option "MM3" = manual trans 3 speed.

From that then the engineering charts choose non-merchandised RPO M62 or M64, depending on the first gear ratio required for your specific powertrain and GVW.

Another example: you say "I want the manual trans with a creeper gear".

Dealer selects the merchandised option "MM4", but there is only one part number available, the non-merchandised option M20 (SM465), so the two option codes can be used interchangeably.

Same thing happens with brake systems: the customer might choose manual or power (ie, J50 vs not) but then the engineering charts dictate which system the vehicle gets within that broader category (ie, JB3, JB5, JB6, etc, in terms of truck RPOs).

K
Yes you are correct, my other book that shows the factory codes are the same as what appears on the build sheet. By the time I remembered that my explanation wasn't completely right the edit time had run out, but your reply with examples makes thing completely clear. Thanks Keith.

Old 03-27-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway star View Post
My Van Nuys '78 WS6 W72 had Cars & Concepts T-tops installed in Memphis. There is a sticker on the driver's (aft) door stating the modification.
Any chance yours has a door sticker?
I did look for the Hurst decal and I also wanted to see the tire size decal because that would have told me if it had WS6 option without having any paperwork to look at
or having to find a tape measure to measure the rear sway bar size. It had neither because the car had had a complete color change a long time ago. The paint job had been done correctly and the door jams were sanded so all decals were removed. Thanks highway glad your car still has it's decal.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen2guy View Post
This is where I got my info for the code MM4 I've had this book since 1986. Now remember there are factory codes and dealer sales codes. Sometimes they are the same and sometimes they aren't. Here is are some options from 77 & 78 I just took pics of the pages with the transmission codes.
That book is similar to the Firebird Red Book.
A 1977 Firebird order form is pictured in the W72 .pdf article (long version) found on this page.
http://www.originalho.com/1979TA/1979TAProject.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FirebirdRedBook.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	535526   Click image for larger version

Name:	FirebirdRedBookPgs7879.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	535527  

Old 03-28-2020, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I did look for the Hurst decal and I also wanted to see the tire size decal because that would have told me if it had WS6 option without having any paperwork to look at
or having to find a tape measure to measure the rear sway bar size. It had neither because the car had had a complete color change a long time ago. The paint job had been done correctly and the door jams were sanded so all decals were removed. Thanks highway glad your car still has it's decal.
how would the tires size sticker tell if it was a WS6? they all came with
225 70 15

Old 03-28-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_collector View Post
how would the tires size sticker tell if it was a WS6? they all came with
225 70 15
The WS6 cars had the 225 70 15 the standard TA's had GR 70 R 15 decals

Old 03-29-2020, 12:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway star View Post
My car came from Van Nuys to Memphis Foster Pontiac and they sent it to Don's Upholstery (in Memphis) to have the T-tops installed. I took the car by there in the late 80's and they said they did the install.
That's interesting. You said you had a sticker on the jamb, could you send me a pic of that. I have only seen one other car with C n C that had a jamb sticker and that was on grand prix.
morgandane@zoominternet.net

Old 03-29-2020, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The WS6 cars had the 225 70 15 the standard TA's had GR 70 R 15 decals
interesting, I never bought a new one that wasn't ws6 or 7 what year did they all change over to the same size? or did they?

Old 03-29-2020, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_collector View Post
interesting, I never bought a new one that wasn't ws6 or 7 what year did they all change over to the same size? or did they?
1979 because both the Rally II and the Snowflake wheels got the 225 tires on the TA's. 1978 got both sizes the GR on the Rally II and 225 on the Snowflake when the WS6 option was offered. My comment about the decal letting you know if it's a WS6 applies only to 1978 and that was the year model I was going to look at. It did end up having the cast aluminum wheels but 7" and no WS6 but it was a W72 which was really what I wanted.

Last edited by Gen2guy; 03-29-2020 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
That's interesting. You said you had a sticker on the jamb, could you send me a pic of that. I have only seen one other car with C n C that had a jamb sticker and that was on grand prix.
morgandane@zoominternet.net
Well, it's actually on the rear door jam and has some overspray on it (has one paint job) but it reads:
THIS VEHICLE WAS ALTERED BY (blank) IN (block) AND AS ALTERED, CONFORMS TO ALL APPLICABLE FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS IN EFFECT IN (blank) NO. 010729 (block). The decal was apparently not signed, seems they were lazy in that aspect and just slapped it on. It's the last decal pictured. The first two pics are the OEM decals on the rear of the door. Hope this helps, Robert.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0318.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	535744   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0317.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	535745   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0316.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	535746  

Last edited by highway star; 03-29-2020 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Decal and papers from Norwood car.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HurstHatchDecal.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	535753   Click image for larger version

Name:	HurstHatchPaper.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	50.6 KB