The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 04-23-2017, 02:10 PM

Default Body Bushings

I am going going to be putting in new body bushings in my '64 Lemans Convert. Just from what I hear, not from experience, I believe I do not want polyurethane bushing because I want to minimize a harsher ride and noise. I bought a set of "OEM type" rubber bushings. Pretty obviously repopped in China. Recently I had a pair of shoes with thick rubber soles that were made in China. Literally the soles fell apart, dropping off chucks of rubber. Something really wrong and inferior materials. So, is the same thing likely to happen with the bushings I brought? Is there a quality manufacturer of these parts? Should I just go to polyurethane? Thanks for any assistance here.
Steve

Old 04-25-2017, 12:37 PM
Senior Chief

i always changed bushings to poly my trucks, jeeps,and pontiac when the rubber cracks. i never had issues and never noticed a harsher ride or noise. im sure all the poly stuff is china crap too but i personally never noticed a difference other than a poly bushing has yet needed to be replaced

1968 LeMans Convertible - 462 w hydo roller comp cam forged flat tops- 6x-4 heads- performer intake - 800 cfm QJ- edelbrock 110 gph mech fuel pump- 4 row copper rad- followed by a Th400 w/2300rpm stall then a nodular 10 bolt posi w 3:90 gears ( need 3:55 bad
Old 04-28-2017, 03:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Aluminum bushings won't make the ride harsher, they allow you suspension to properly work without the frame and body flexing first! I have had all three on my 73 TA, rubber, poly and aluminum.