Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 06-16-2007, 02:07 PM
Senior Chief

Cool ford theft light flashing

anyone know how to reset the system on a 97 mustang? someone tried to steal my girls car. i swapped out the broken pieces and put back together. it will start but stalls after a couple seconds. theft light flashes rapidly. any ideas? hate to wait till monday for the dealer. can i cut a wire to bypass it? thanks, pontiacmonstr

Old 06-16-2007, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

did you try to unhook the battery to see if it will rest itself.

Old 06-16-2007, 02:26 PM
Senior Chief

Cool

yes. i had the battery disconnected so i could pull the air bag and wheel. they ripped one of the wires out. i swapped the ignition switch, the little black box under the ignition and the black plastic coller under the steering wheel. pontiacmonstr

Old 06-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

then you might have to flash the ecu

Old 06-16-2007, 02:47 PM
Senior Chief

Cool

ford and there better ideas! at least they didn't get the car. i wonder if you could bypass it?

Old 06-16-2007, 03:22 PM
Boost Engineer

Even if I did know how to keep the car from stalling and how to turn off the theft light I would never post that info on a Internet board. Have the car towed to a dealer and have them fix it. Your girlfriend has insurance and the insurance will cover the dealer fee.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That knowledge can be like gold. I remember one time we went tubing down the river, and my boss's key fob got wet; he had locked the key in the car, and just taken the fob with him floating down the river. After a good soaking, it wouldn't work to unlock the car so he could get to his ignition key.

One of the guys rolled under the car, did something, and "click," the doors unlocked. He wouldn't tell us what he did, but it sure was handy.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:07 AM
Senior Chief

Cool

tom, if you're not willing to help members out, then why do you even read the posts? if you don't know how to reset it, thats fine. don't be a dick. i wonder why people don't like you. you never had a friend help you out so you didn't have to visit the dealer? pontiacmonstr

Old 06-17-2007, 11:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

pm sent

1 69 gto 4 speed
1 69 gto judge
1 75 ta
1 79 formula
1 80 formula
1 81 ta
1 89 formula
1 96 ta
1 66 mustang
1 84 mustang
1 89 25th anniv mustang convert
kaysersuzuki@yahoo.com
Old 06-17-2007, 11:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I work at avis car rental as a mechanic, we do lots of theft recovery being close to Detroit. I work on all new cars so Im trying to remember the older pats system.... (disclaimer) lol. When you replace the ignition switch, module and the ring your going to have to hook it to either a wds or pds (ford scanners) and program 2 new keys. You will also need to scan the system for codes to see if there are any other problems. The module may need to be re-flashed. This is where Im not sure! Sorry, but I think your sol and stuck taking it to the dealer. I dont even think a new,up to date snap -on scanner can do these functions.

I know you probably dont want to here it but... these new anti-theft systems have pretty much eliminated new car theft. You need a tow truck to steal a new car! The work I do is attempted thefts (like what happend to your girlfriends car) and they steal rims tires and radios and vandalize.