Old 08-20-2019, 12:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Semi dumb belt question

I know this sounds stupid on the surface but I am not close to a parts store and don’t want to make a million trips back and forth getting belts. I have to get custom belts for my CVF Racing accessory drive setup and I have seen custom belt measurement done two ways. One is to take yarn and run it around the pulleys and tie it off and take it to the parts store to be put on the good old fashioned v belt measurer if they even still have one. The other is to take a sewing measuring tape and measure the distance and write it down. What method do you use for custom belts? What do you think is gonna result in me having to make the least number of trips?

Old 08-20-2019, 02:32 AM

Assuming you are running V-belts, I think twine would be better, but first wrap something on the pulleys to simulate where the inside of the belt would actually ride. Otherwise the twine falls too far into the groove and your belts will end up too short. I'd position the adjustments close to as short as they can go, leaving a little to allow you to get the belt on but not stretch out so far that they don't have enough tension. Longer belts stretch more than shorter belts.

If it's the serpentine style with multiple belts, the twine should work well right on top the pulleys. But have someone hold the tension device in the right position while you work the twine.

I would want to measure all the new belts with the same device I measure the twine with.

Yarn I suppose would be OK if it didn't stretch.

Old 08-20-2019, 06:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Weather you need a v belt or serpentine belt i perfer to use an old belt that is too long. I cut it square, then wrap it around the pulleys and mark the end at max length. Subtract 3/4"-1" and you've got your length. For me this works better cause the belt is sitting excatly how it should be in the pulleys.

1967 GTO, 432 (428+.030), 4-bolt mains, factory Nodular crank, scat rods, icon dished pistons, Lunati HR 243/251@.050, .618/.622 lift, Edelbrock 72cc round port heads, 10.5:1, offy 2-4 intake, Edelbrock 650cfm carbs, Super T10 trans (2.64 first), BOP 10 bolt w/ Eaton posi and 3.36 gears
Old 08-20-2019, 02:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67gtospud View Post
Weather you need a v belt or serpentine belt i perfer to use an old belt that is too long. I cut it square, then wrap it around the pulleys and mark the end at max length. Subtract 3/4"-1" and you've got your length. For me this works better cause the belt is sitting excatly how it should be in the pulleys.
This is what I do. Tape measure, string, rope etc. did not work for me.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
Old 08-20-2019, 02:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67gtospud View Post
I do this also but I set the adjustment at halfway to give me some leeway.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 08-20-2019, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From CVF;
Q. What belts do I use?
A. Our V-belt pulleys all use the Series 15 belts (except for Toyota Landcruiser Pulleys). The best way to get the right length is to cut your old belt or use a rope to measure the length with the bracket fully compressed. Most auto parts stores sell the belts in 1/2" increments.

Old 08-20-2019, 03:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dayco V-belts are carried by many local, and online sources (Rock Auto, etc).

Dayco belt number breakdown =

First 2 numbers = Series (2 common series available, 15 & 17, and applies to the width of the belt)

Last 3 numbers = Length

So, a 15465 is a 15 series, 46.5" long.

15470 - 47" long

15475 - 47.5" long

Rinse, repeat.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be