Pontiac Business Entities Exchange Sources, Compliments and Grievances in regard to Pontiac parts or services rendered by an individual or business.

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-1999, 04:11 PM

OPG Formerly Chevelle Classics
Huntington Beach, CA
800-243-8355

List your good or bad experiences as a response. As always be fair and professional. Beware.... Slander or unsubstantiated claims or greivances could be grounds for legal action.

If you would like to add a business, individual, club, association....etc. Please e-mail Performance Years.

Old 12-08-1999, 04:11 PM

OPG Formerly Chevelle Classics
Huntington Beach, CA
800-243-8355

List your good or bad experiences as a response. As always be fair and professional. Beware.... Slander or unsubstantiated claims or greivances could be grounds for legal action.

If you would like to add a business, individual, club, association....etc. Please e-mail Performance Years.

Old 01-21-2000, 04:43 AM

I order spark plug wire holders for a 65 389,eng. They listed them as chrome, everbody else was selling zink plated ones for less, so I order the chrome ones plus a few more parts. I get the shipment in there the same zink plate eveyone else was selling for less. I call up, I tell them I'm sending them back and what happened to the other parts I ordered, Oh they not in stock yet, as we get them we will ship them out. That was the last time I ordered from them. Then every time they ship a part, you pay shipping and handing on each part. They wont hold the order until all the parts are in stock and charge one fee for shipping it all at once. Perforeance Years has almost always been the best for me. Thanks guys.and the girls taking the phone orders.

Old 01-29-2000, 09:23 AM

I called on some rugs. Their Customer Service help on the phone left a lot to be desired. I didn't order.

------------------
Check out my homepage at http://barney.wcupa.edu/~badgoat

Old 01-30-2000, 02:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have seldom had an order fulfilled correctly by them. For small stuff I just accept it, but I had to return my seat covers when they sent the ones for a Chevelle instead of a GTO.

Old 12-17-2002, 04:47 PM
Senior Chief

I ordered a fiberglass repro front valance panel for my 68 GTO from OPGI.
When it arrived and I opened it I IMMEDIATELY freaked out over the TERRIBLE quality of it!
The outside had not been trimmed and it looked like a CHEEA-VALANCE! NONE of the holes for the parking lights, etc. had been cut out, it was so warped that it didn't even come close to fitting, and there were several big cracks in it. They were willing to take it back but they had charged me $50.00 for shipping and wanted another $50.00 in shipping to take it back (although the actual shipping charges paid by them were MUCH less.
SO I would have paid like $100.00 in shipping charges to return a completely defective $160.00 part. After a few more phone calls with no satisfaction I stuck it in the rafters of the garage and will just try to sell it at a swap meet in the spring.
I also ordered an arm rest base at the same time from them. They shipped a base that was a completely different color than my interior. Not just a poor match, a completely different color. Not only that but the base had been shipped with NO packing material in a box sealed with large metal staples. The loose armrest bouncing around in the box got thoroughly trashed by the staples. I called them about it and they sent me out a new armrest base. AGAIN the wrong color for my interior and AGAIN shipped loose and unprotected in the same type of box so it ALSO got trashed.
I finally just shook my head and threw both armrests in the dumpster with my OPGI catalog!
I would have ordered the stuff from PY but PY only sells the armrest bases by the pair, and the valvnce was $100.00 less from OPGI. NOW I know why!!! THey must have been buying the rejected ones from Ames and PY!
The OPGI customer service people were extremely rude, and when I tried to go "up the ladder" in authority I got less and less help!
THEY SUCK!

Old 01-08-2003, 06:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Final verdict: OPGI SUCKS! Got a call yesterday to inform me they were not going to refund me my $ for the bad (wrong) conv top they sent. The 1st guy I spoke with admitted they sent a 64-65 top for my 69 (their mistake) but refused to refund cause it was "dirty" and had "been installed" ...it wasnt. The 2nd guy claimed that ALL tops were small and needed to be "stretched" on . What an idiot! This thing was too short by 2" left & right (total 4") Anyway stay away from these idiots. Now I hope American Express is on my side for this. At least they are suspending charge, till "further investigation"

You know why they call it "PMS"? Because "Mad Cow Disease" was taken

Old 02-02-2003, 10:06 PM

I bought some stuff from OPG for my '65 GTO Conv. I was a little disappointed with the quality of some of the parts (particularly upholstery and chrome parts). Prices are cheap, now I know why. Though I must say, they have a really sharp looking catalog - wish I could say the same about my interior.

Old 02-25-2003, 07:48 AM

We had purchased tons of parts for several ongoing restorations, two '69 GTO ragtops, one '69 Judge and a '64 Pro-streeter. Of course, we shopped around and ultimately used several vendors, OPG being one of them. As others refused to deal on certain charges, we ordered three radiators, two gas tanks and several incidental items. With their points system, we totaled about four hundred dollars in discounts, which pleases me. Granted, not everything was totally perfect, it almost NEVER is! But I experienced no catastrophic problems as mentioned in this post and plan to do business with these folks again. As a sales/tech rep for Jeg's High Performance, I get to see both sides of the business. I don't discredit any stories I've heard here, but I also know what I know and a company with such a track record in all probability would have folded by now. I could point out flagrant deceptive practices by "legit" businesses in our hobby, but having been scolded for sharing my thoughts on subjects that I found offensive, I'll refrain from any negative comments, no matter how obviously true they be. Anyway, most of them have been touched upon by others. As I have stated, they are obvious. Ron.

Old 03-15-2003, 06:18 AM

OPG has an attractive cataloge and pricing. The advertising and marketing will always get your attention. I have ordered from them and experienced the same problems. The convertible top was 4" short, the interior quality is poor, they send Chevy or Olds parts and then argue that point. The the shipping charge tactics, what are we stupid. Then the customer service, forget about it. You can go to UPS.COM and get all the tracking info you need. Then as they tell you you return package is lost you can tell them who signed for it and when it arrived. I can go on. Performance Years is the best way to go.

Old 03-15-2003, 06:57 AM

I'm sure OPG has its drawbacks, but compare some prices on obviously similar items. Lets say disc brake bacing plates, what, about 40 bucks cheaper than anyone else? They seem to have trouble with fabrics, I try to use PUI interiors exclusively. Haven't done a conv. top yet, that's next. Again I'm needing about three more gas tanks and at least two more radiators plus one complete interior and an extra headliner. I'll be shopping around again, but odds are I'll give OPG my business, as nobody would match prices on their " Be Cool" radiators without a "Be Cool" part number, and I believe that I heard lauhgter when I asked about free shipping on these items. Ron

Old 03-15-2003, 07:37 AM
Senior Chief

My experience with them is that the "sale" prices in their catalog have always expired when I call them. Plus the quality of MANY of their parts appears to be very poor compared to PY, Ames, and others.
When I was looking for a fiberglass front valance for my 68, OPG's price was $70.00 less than anyone else. When I called the other places and asked them about a price match they all said that they couldn't match the price because the OPG valance panels were junk. I didn't believe them. Until I got the panel from OPG. It was worse than junk. Junk usually was decent at some point in it's existance. The panel that I received was not correctly shaped (no way it could EVER be bolted on). It had NONE of the holes cut out for the openings, parking lights, or bolts, it had big cracks in it, and the edges looked like an old straw hat with loose strands hanging off.
They had charged me about $50.00 for shipping (cost them about $10.00). After fighting with them for 2 weeks they said that I could return it if I agreed to pay a restocking fee, the original shipping charge, AND an additional shipping charge of the same amount to send it back!
I would have been out $80.00 just in shipping OVERCHARGES, let alone legitimate shipping charges! I trashed it. This is just the last of the problems that I had with them.
Do what you want, but they will never get any money from me again!

Old 03-15-2003, 08:29 AM

The bitterness of poor quality and service remain long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. Unfortunately most consumers these days shop on price alone and quality and service is an afterthought when something goes wrong. How much do you save when you have to buy something twice and deal with the aggravation? There is a name for those types of consumers, WAL-MART SHOPPERS!

Old 03-17-2003, 06:57 PM

The "buyer beware" rule definitely applies, but some parts obviously come from the same supplies or are of equal or better quality. My gas tanks came with the necks intact, welded and plated. My radiators were "Be Cool" brand..top notch. My backing plates looked identical to ones that I had paid nearly double for in another catalog. No excuse for that, in my book. Small pieces and detail parts...ditto. I still can't understand why I only hear complaints here, as I deal with GTO enthusiasts on a National level and could understand if I randomly heard other complaints. As I said, I have one more large order to do here shortly, a couple of more gas tanks an two wire harnesses, which the last ones were drop-shipped from M&H, the best in the business from my experience. I would buy direct from them as I have in the past, but all things considered, shipping and discount points, it was cheaper through OPG. I trust folks 'till they give me a reason not to. I'll keep you posted. Ron.

Old 03-18-2003, 04:46 AM
Senior Chief

SO they might sell a few of the same parts for less.
But their packaging is CRAP, their customer service is non-existant, and their website is worthless and basically non-working. In my experiences with them I got the same $30.00 part for $3.00 less than at PY. But they sent the wrong color part and didn't package it correctly. It got destroyed in shipping and they never took care of it. So I didn't save $3.00, I LOST $27.00!
If you love them so much you should be using THEIR forum, not the one here supported by PY.
Oh, wait a minute OPG doesn't HAVE a forum, do they?!?! That would cost money and then they would probably have to raise their prices...

Old 03-18-2003, 05:12 AM

I was on THIS forum because they asked for honest input, which I gave. I didn't realize that it had to be one-sided as well as close minded, or small minded , whichever fits your application. I found that you can only bash the folks that are not popular on this site, but I didn't realize that nothing good was to be said about anyone but Chris. Again, if OPG is so bad, they won't be around for long. Meanwhile, I'll take full advantage of their lower prices and free shipping on parts that apply. As I also stated, I support all vendors in this hobby, unless you are one, then it would be all but one. Are you "officially" throwing me off the site? Sounded pretty belligerent, there "buzzy". If PY is your life and better than everyone else is to you , why do you even concern yourself with any other vendors, especially OPG? As for your snide remarks, you probably shouldn't go into a battle of wits unarmed. Really profound stuff, there. Ron.

Old 03-18-2003, 05:12 AM

I was on THIS forum because they asked for honest input, which I gave. I didn't realize that it had to be one-sided as well as close minded, or small minded , whichever fits your application. I found that you can only bash the folks that are not popular on this site, but I didn't realize that nothing good was to be said about anyone but Chris. Again, if OPG is so bad, they won't be around for long. Meanwhile, I'll take full advantage of their lower prices and free shipping on parts that apply. As I also stated, I support all vendors in this hobby, unless you are one, then it would be all but one. Are you "officially" throwing me off the site? Sounded pretty belligerent, there "buzzy". If PY is your life and better than everyone else is to you , why do you even concern yourself with any other vendors, especially OPG? As for your snide remarks, you probably shouldn't go into a battle of wits unarmed. Really profound stuff, there. Ron.

Old 03-18-2003, 06:12 PM
Senior Chief

I have to agree with Ron.
The administrators asked for "good or bad" experiences. Ron was just stating he has had good luck with OPG. There's no need to bash him for it.

I myself have never dealt with OPG but I have bought parts from PY, Ames, Year One and several smaller guys. Spreading the wealth keeps the hobby going. I have met Chris Casperson and Steve Ames and they are both good people who have done a lot for our hobby.

One other thing...
I don't understand why every thread has to turn into a pissing contest.

just my .02

Old 03-18-2003, 06:43 PM
Senior Chief

I agree that I was a little too strong in my statements. I REALLY just don't want anyone else to get ripped off by OPG like I did!
I'm not talking about a $10.00 part that wasn't perfect.
And being a business owner myself, I have a negative reaction to any situation where people don't realize the value of things beyond saving a few bucks.
There is a guy in my area who sells new, name brand power tools out of his garage. I don't know how or where he gets them, but people buy them and then complain that places like Home Depot are ripping people off by charging more then this guy selling them out of his garage. They don't appreciate the costs involved with keeping a store open, and they still expect Home Depot to be there if they have a warranty issue or need a spare part for these tools at 8:00AM on Sunday morning.
I'm just glad that not everyone looks for strictly the cheapest price, because there are a LOT of people in this world who are willing to work just as hard as me every day for a lot less money.

Old 03-18-2003, 08:58 PM

I can relate on that aspect as well, as I work for a national performance parts house and constantly get people wanting to price-match some website trying to sell them a blower or something for a few bucks less. I pose the same questions to them. "What if it breaks?" I've got another one here on the shelf to send out as a replacement. Odds are, they wouldn't even be able to contact the seller. And as for giving my credit card # to someone of already questionable credentials, as in "Where did the parts come from?", forget it. We've caught people filling our dumpster with new parts, then arranging with the trash guy to dump it at a predetermined location for later pick-up, so nothing surprises me. I'm not defending anyone, merely stating my own observations. I'm very unforgiving myself when someone burns me, and it does happen. I usually am pretty civil about giving ample opportunity for redemption, but once I see no effort on their part, I get hostile. I guess I'm from the old school where you treated others as you would want to be treated. Now, things are a little more "cut-throat" you might say. There's room for everyone, as the automobile related hobby is like no other. We sell nothing at Jeg's that anyone absolutely needs, yet my phone rings for eight hours straight, every day! I'm sure it's the same at Summit, as I can't even get thru to price-match. Treating folks right almost guarantees your success, and I can't imagine a business doing otherwise and staying alive. Competition should keep everyone honest. I guess we'll see. Ron.

Closed Thread