Pontiac Business Entities Exchange Sources, Compliments and Grievances in regard to Pontiac parts or services rendered by an individual or business.

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 10:03 AM
Senior Chief

I ordered a set of sunvisor supports from them.Just to try them out because I had never ordered from them before.I put them on and they wouldn`t even hold the sunvisor in the up position.I really tightened down on the screws and got one of them to hold just barely and the other one broke from me tightening it down.I called and they said they would send me another and I could just throw the old one away.Same thing it wouldn`t hold.I ended up having to wrap the end with tape and then putting it in the support and it still doesn`t hold like the factory ones.It just barely stays up.I won`t buy anything else from them.

www.cardomain.com/id/gto_guy

Old 03-19-2003, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Two order attempts:

First - part mis-advertised and returned. Refund issued after 3 telephone calls, but slowly. Shipping was not refunded.
Second - part on permanent??? backorder. After 3 months I canceled.

Both attempts several years ago. Have not attempted any orders since.

Jon.

Good carburetion is fuelish hot air.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 03-19-2003, 12:59 PM

About three years ago, I ordered a dash pad, armrest pads & bases, and a ignition lock bezel removal tool from OPG.

1)the dash pad had no provisions for the retaining clips and did'nt fit well.

2)the armrest pads were made of plastic rather than the original vinyl and padding, and did'nt fit well.

3)the bezel tool was the incorrect type and would not line up against the notches in the bezel.

4)I found the customer service to be indifferent.

Needless to say, I do not order from them anymore.

Old 05-10-2003, 04:19 AM

I recently ordered outside door handles from OPG and recieved them two weeks later handles were excellent wrapped in styrofoam wrap inside a plastic sealed bag surrounded by lots of newspaper in a box that was taped. also after my neighbor spent over twenty dollars on window cranks from OPG, I found them at NAPA and Autozone for 5.99 for the black and clear handle

Old 05-16-2003, 05:19 AM

as with the other posts from pontiac hobbyist who have had bad experiences I placed an order with opg when I first started my project about three years ago. approx 1000.00 to start they back-ordered about 90% then after about to months of waiting they started piece-mealing this stuff and nailing me for the shipping. I had good luck with Items such as wiring which comes from other manufacturers but was not happy with the trim items I have learned since then to deal with co,s such as PY and AMES I have never been dissapointed with any of their products and have alway,s been dealt with very profesionally not to mention I always get my parts fast.

Old 05-23-2003, 08:40 AM

I paid good money to PY for "Pontiac Rally II charcoal" paint, received Auto Zone Truck and Van paint, but paid at least twice as much. They all do that. I expressed my dissatisfaction to Chris and was told"that's as close as we can get." Seems a couple of years back, Bob's Pontiac parts had an exact match that came in their own cans. I took first palce at the GTOAA Nat's with that paint on the wheels. Wonder what happened to ol' Bob, anyway. My point is, there is a learning curve for all involed in this hobby. I don't believe for a minute that any one company presumes to flourish by intentionally ripping people off. The folks at OPG just handed over a check for two-grand to sponsor the drag races at this year's GTO Nat's, so just show up and you can get some of your money back, if you're quick enough!I still can't understand all of the negative experences relayed here and I have been lucky enough to have had nothing but good dealings with them. Believe me, that is not how my luck runs. Anyway, I belive that if you ask to speak to Colin Date at OPG, he would want to hear of your experinces, good or bad, as I can assure you that the folks running any busines will take your gripes much more seriously than any employee. If I have questions or concerns with Ames or PY, I have the common courtesy to confront Steve or Chris, and not just go to some public forum and bash them. I seem to get better results that way. But that's just me. Ron

Old 05-23-2003, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Hey Ron, That Van & Truck paint was duplicolor and we haven't carried that in 12 years. Are you sure you purchased from us and not Ames. He carries that Duplicolor paint and swears by it. In fact, if I can find it, I'm going to start carrying it again. lmk.

---------------------------
Fool around, Get hurt, don't come crying to me.

Old 05-23-2003, 11:34 AM

Chris, you may be right, and I wasn't slamming anyone, just trying to make a point. In this hobby, you need to shop around. I have always had excellent service from both you and Steve and appreciate the fact that you both specialize in Pontiacs. That in and of itself speaks volumns. Sorry if I misspoke, but again, it wasn't a put-down. Ron

Old 05-23-2003, 02:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A coupla of years back. Bobs Pontiac Parts has not been around for 10 years or so.

Regarding PY, Ames, etc and charging as you said twice as much for paint. Well if you knew where to purchase it in the first place you should have purchased it there, but you didn't. You paid for not only the paint but someone to research it, come up with the correct paint, and to keep it in stock. In the end you got a bargin.

OPG...no one has anything to say good about OPG except Shark Landis and he got $2,000 for a race from them. HUMMMMMMMMM!!! OPG is in my back yard, I tried them, will never do it again, would not recommend them to anyone, except Shark Landis.

Sounds fishy!!

Ron

[This message was edited by Ron on May 23, 2003 at 05:12 PM.]

Due to the current economic conditions...the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Meet you at the finish line.....don't be late!
Old 05-23-2003, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OPG is also right in my back yard. I have also used them and I have also had trouble with them. I would not buy anything from it unless they were the only source for a specific part. When I had my El Camino, I also had trouble with those parts from OPG.

http://www.jimspontiac.homestead.com/Index.html

Old 05-23-2003, 08:26 PM
Administrator

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shark landis:
Chris, you may be right, and I wasn't slamming anyone, just trying to make a point. In this hobby, you need to shop around. I have always had excellent service from both you and Steve and appreciate the fact that you both specialize in Pontiacs. That in and of itself speaks volumns. Sorry if I misspoke, but again, it wasn't a put-down. Ron<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

no offense taken. It's just been a hot topic around the office and I'm gathering info and opinions. Sorry for the thread jack.

---------------------------
Fool around, Get hurt, don't come crying to me.

Old 05-24-2003, 02:20 AM
Senior Chief

Hey "Shark"!
If you are in so tight with the OPG guys and think that they really are concerned about customer service and all, why don't you ask that Colin Date guy to call or email me?!?! My phone number is 269-684-6020, fax 269-684-6185. email is gto@deltavalves.com.
When the last deal with them went sour for me I called at LEAST 10 times trying to get in touch with someone in upper management who would at least talk to me. I was always told that no one was available but that they had my number and would call me. NEVER HAPPENED!
From my point of view, they are selling some real junk parts. Then when they get called out on it they either duck out completely on admitting that they have a problem, or create a situation where they make it so restrictive (costly) to return a part that the customer just gives up. In my case I bought a $169.00 front valance. It was JUNK. I mean completely unusable! I can send you pictures of it as proof! They charged me about $50.00 shipping when it cost them about $12.00 to ship it (it had the amount on the shipping company label). When I wanted to return it they wanted a 25% restocking fee, PLUS they wanted me to pay them the same amount for return shipping that I had to pay originally! It's still in the loft of my garage as a constant reminder NEVER to buy from them again, and also to make sure to tell everyone else to keep away from them also!! I would LOVE to talk to this Colin guy and work something out.

Old 05-24-2003, 06:25 PM

No need to send ME any pictures. I don't work for OPG, don't care who buys what where. I've had good luck with OPG and if I have a problem, I'm a big boy and I'll take care of it myself. I continue to support PY and Ames because they have been instrumental in the success of my past projects and I know I can count on their expertice, but I still shop around. I deal with crybabies every day at work. That is how m/o works.We pay shipping to you, you pay shipping back. If you come in the store and get the wrong part, we are NOT going to send a CAB to BRING YOUR DUMB ASS BACK! You get back to the store and we'll handle the problem. Legit problems get proper attention, but the only company I know of that pays shipping both ways is Year One, and I don't know how they do it. Also, if you think OPG donated 2k for ANYTHING I did or said, I appreciate your high opinion of my word, but also sympathize for your ignorance. Again, buy what you want, where you want. Don't shop around, cheat yourself. I can't tell you how much I don't care. I don' blame anyone for not giving their business to anyone that gave them a raw deal, but in my 18 yrs in this hobby, I've had tremendously good luck with most vendors. I know where to go for what I need. No need for me to bash anyone. Sorry about your luck and please excuse me for offering up the honest f/b that was originally requested. I guess I should have known better by now. My bad. Good luck to you. Ron Landis.

Old 05-24-2003, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congratulations to you Landis. You are the NUMBER 2 reason why I DON'T do business with Jegs anymore.

Ron

Due to the current economic conditions...the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Meet you at the finish line.....don't be late!
Old 05-25-2003, 10:50 AM
Senior Chief

Ok, Landis.
Let me get this straight.
You say that this Colin guy that you know at OPG would be interested in knowing about any customer service problems. I tried at LEAST 10 times to call them. He was never available, but they promised that he would call me back which he never did. So I ask you to ask him to call me if he is really concerned about things, and you say that I'm a "crybaby" and
and not a "big boy" like you?
And on my deal I paid them $50.00 shipping TO ME when the actual shipping cost to them was only about $12.00!!!! And they would'nt let me ship it back to them myself. They said that they wanted to do a "call tag" to have it picked up and then charge me ANOTHER $50.00 for the return shipping!!!!
The part was COMPLETELY unusable!!!
It was a valance for a 68 GTO.
NONE of the openings were cut out. It was NOT trimmed or finished in any way! The edges looked like the brim of an old straw hat! It also had several big cracks in it.
I honestly think that it was a reject or an unfinished prototype or something.
I tried to work with them to get it returned, but it's pretty hard to work with a place when the people on the phone claim that they can't do anything more than charge the standard re-stocking fees and shipping fees if I want to return it, and after 10 calls I still couldn't get in touch with anyone who DID HAVE the power to do anything about the problem!
I can't stop anyone from buying from them. I can only relate honestly my problems with them and hopefully prevent others from getting stung for hundreds of dollars!
If people want to buy from OPG after the warnings from myself and others, fine. But like my grandpa used to say, "It don't matter if you know what time the train is supposed to come, if you don't want to get hit by it, stay the hell off the tracks"!

Old 05-26-2003, 05:34 PM

The "crybabie" thing wasn't directed at you, just relating to people in general that won't try to resolve a matter on their own, regardless of where thre blame lies. I believe you have a legit claim and stated that I don't blame you for not doing business with them. I wouldn't either after what you say you've been put thru, and I do intended to aprise Colin of your issue. What he does or doesn't do is on him. As for the Jeg's comment, if I check our records, you probably didn't deal with us much anyway,if at all or you would know the advantages in doing so. Or are you the one who can't stand to wait while someone hunts for the part you think you need. Anyway, a ricer will probably take your place. And the beat goes on. Take care. Ron

Old 05-26-2003, 06:02 PM
Senior Chief

I think that you are getting your people confused. I have never dealt with Jegs at all. No political statement there, I just have never have had a catalog to look through.
Do you own or work for Jegs?
I don't know who was slamming Jegs, and I'm not the impatient guy.
Please let me know what Colin says when you tell him about my bad deal.

Old 05-28-2003, 08:45 AM

The "Jeg's" reference was for Ron what's his name, always has something to add to other folks chats. Glad he doesn't use Jeg's, we've got plenty of those already and I can't help them. Takes too much time from good customers. Just assumed he was a buddy of yours. Anyway, my son is the one organizing the drags and I informed him of your issues. Please let me know if you get any response, good, bad or indifferent. If you want to e/m me, that's fine. I just don't watch this board much anymore. Just be grown up about it and see how Colin treats you. He expressed a genuine concern in improving his companies relations with the consumer, so I guess we'll see how sincere he really is. Thanx. Ron

Old 05-28-2003, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ron L,
If OPG was such an upstanding vendor why would they offer some vendor's POS fiberglass front valance in the 1st place? The piece is junk, & to even bend one person over over for such a piece, is a joke. I guess OPG being one of the few to offer this piece is considered a "service" Furthermore, for their company to whack a customer for more than double what is suitable for propper boxing & padding & UPS oversize shipping is just not right. BuzzoJoe has a reason to be pissed.

Event $$$$ sponsoring... A bunch of us could care less how much OPG or Y1 gives to some event, but I suppose that's the only way they can gain customers... Hell, I know I'd rather see the money being spent toward cranking out or sourcing some quality parts rather than to suck up to some car club. For many such quality concern reasons, I'll always spend my money with Casperson or Ames if I can't buy it for wholesale.

Old 05-28-2003, 12:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Instead sponsoring an event how about refunding money for bogus parts?