Pontiac Business Entities Exchange Sources, Compliments and Grievances in regard to Pontiac parts or services rendered by an individual or business.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cammer, you are not responsible for these charges. Since it has been 3 months, I think that FedEx has tried to collect from the buyer but has failed, so rather than eating the charges, they are trying to get them from you. If not?, Why didn't they charge you when you paid for the transportation fee?? They knew the value.
Also, if the buyer is a member of the PY Board, please let us know.
Good Luck .................eh

Old 02-11-2008, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I really doubt that the buyer is a member here,said he did Chevelles.
Im not paying it and if its charged off to my credit card Ill have them contest it.
I think at that time Ill have the person reported to what ever agency you report tax evaders to.
Odd thing is that the buyer was thrilled with items and gave good feedback.
I had sent them something not part of the auction with the rest of stuff which I only charged
the extra shipping on and it did take a couple of emails before I got my check for $50.
So much for being a nice guy.A good friend has a saying" No good deed goes unpunished".

Old 02-11-2008, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gotta watch these couriers. I clear my own stuff that gets sent across the line. If UPS errors and clears the goods themselves they will either unwind the process and give me the paper work so I can clear it myself or "eat" the "borker" charges and just collect the taxes. In the second senerio they have tried to claw back the "borker" $$ everytime. A quick phone call usually puts an end to it.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Brian Scoles has brought up some very valid points here (he's generally well informed and wise beyond his years)....The fee breakdown is well worth understanding....That considered, if it's taxes that are owed it's not your responsibility....From what your saying, this guy is an A$$ and his day will come soon enough if he conducts himself like that with everyone he deals with....

Old 02-11-2008, 08:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just recieved a package from the States that was shipped Fed Ex. I had to pay the taxes owing and the brokerage (or is it borkerage?) prior to picking the package up. No ifs, buts, or sorry, pay the bill. The fed ex dude took my visa card right there and put it through his hand held card machine. The shipping papers clearly noted that the taxes and brokerage fees were COD. Maybe yours was checked prepaid by error

Old 02-11-2008, 08:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I never agreed to "prepay" the fees,only the initial shipping charges.
Fed ex rep even told me that I couldnt prepay those fees,taxes,dutys or what ever else they are called, as I wouldnt have known how much they were ahead of time.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:53 AM

This situation also needs to be considered from the receivers point of view. He bought something off EBay, was given a shipping quote, paid the asked amount, received his items and left positive feedback.

Now three months later, out of the blue he's asked to pay another $40.00 dollars in shipping related expenses. I'll bet alot of folks would act the same way as this fellow is. I'll also bet that if FedEx had asked him at the time of delivery for the extra funds to cover the taxes and duties he would have paid them - like we all would have or we (Canadians) have done in the past.
I'm not saying this guy should be free from paying his fair share (although in Canada the taxes we pay are more then our fair share, but that's a topic for another day) I'm just saying that it's going to be harder to convince him of that three months after delivery.

I believe this is a FedEx screw-up and as an account holder their going to try to recoup their losses from you. FedEx needs to be taken to task here not the little guy.
Brian Scoles.

1971 Firebird 350
1968 Camaro convert.
1981 Mazda RX7 GSL
1941 Packard coupe convert.

Last edited by Scoles; 02-12-2008 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought parts for my wifes 68 Firebird on Ebay and a bill from Fedex came stating I owed them $44.65.

Here is the break down. Parts were $143.04
GST was $8.58 on parts.
Brokerage Fees were $28.50 + 1.43 GST.
Disbursement Fees were $5.85 + .29 GST
Total was $44.65

Send cheque to Fedex today.. Fedex seems to be the only company to bill after the fact. UPS gets you at the door before you take parcel. Canada post also get you to pay up front.
Most of the time Canada post through United States Postal Service is the best way to go..

Charles

Old 02-13-2008, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

But you like all the others that are responsible citizens paid it.

Who do I file with if this deadbeat doesnt pay it?

Old 02-13-2008, 10:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think it's your issue.. You did your job. Fedex is just trying to collect their money. The charges are to the person who received the goods. He's the importer.

Did you call Fedex see what they say?

Charles

Old 02-14-2008, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cammer,
If I go to Buffalo and buy a part from someone (business or private) when I return Canada Customs doesn't go after the person I bought it from, they go after me for the money. What does FedEx say when you ask them, Why me? and secondly, why now? why didn't they charge you at the time of shipping? They knew ALL the information then, destination, commodity, and value. I really don't like these big couriers trying to intimidate people. Keep us posted.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:12 AM

Default Shipping to Canada

I thought I'd state my two cents worth.
On behalf of all Canadians I apologize.
On items purchased there is no duty usually, but there is GST (tax), and maybe PST and brokerage charges. I have received shipments from UPS in the past and their brokerage is excessive. I don't know about Fedex.
It is for this reason I have a US broker to receive all my US purchases. I gain on lower US shipping, his brokerage charges are reasonable and he sees to all cross boarder shipping. I pick up the item on the Canadian side a few minutes away.
I have run into several times of seller refusing to ship to Canada which is frustrating.
Any seller should add a statement to all shipping quotes that additional tax and brokerage charges are the buyers responsibility.
Since this was an Ebay purchase are there not buyer and seller penalties?

Old 02-14-2008, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is all on the auction
pretty clear who pays all shipping costs

Item will not be shipped until Cashiers check or Money Order has cleared.Please ask about shipping outside of USA fee quoted doesnt apply.ship Fed Ex ground or optional USPS Priority .Insurance is optional.
Seller's return policy:
Item must be returned within: 7 Days Refund will be given as: Money Back
Return policy details: No Returns unless OK by seller.
Shipping cost burden of buyer.
No returns due to improper fitament,
please check before bidding.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To protect your self as a seller on ebay there are several boxes you can check or uncheck as the case may be when you list your auctions clearly stating where & where you will not ship to. How that bid got thru & the guy won is that you had the wrong boxes checked. Or maybe you did not have enough boxes checked. Point being, YOU can block out certain countries or all of them if you want to; except the US if that's where your selling out of. That one little box would have cured this entire problem before it began in 2 like seconds time. Often I have a possible bidder EM me & ask beacuse if you have a country blocked, he or she can look & ohhh & ahhhh but he or she can't bid, (it will not go thru). That way perhaps you can pre-screen possible bidders in the future.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammer-6
I have called Fed Ex,they claim its policy to deliver the package, when shipped ground, without payment of duty taxes and fees.
Fed Ex has said they will bill my account directly if this isnt paid.
Maybe Ill let them do this and let my credit card company that the account is paid on
fight it out with them. But Im sure they will suspend my shipping account until its cleared up.
This is unique to Fedex. It is their policy to deliver the shipment even if the duties and taxes are not paid by the buyer/importer. UPS will not deliver under any circumstances unless the taxes are paid. Fedex and UPS have to prepay the fees to customs. If the importer refuses to pay, Fedex will deliver and charge the shippers account. UPS will hold the package and give the shipper the opportunity to have it returned, but they won't deliver without the fees being paid.

This particular buyer/importer is probably familiar with these policies and has taken advantage of getting the shipment without paying the fees. If it was shipped UPS, he probably would have paid the fees to get the A/C system that he had already paid for.

You are not going to change Fedex's policy, and you are probably not going to get your money from the buyer. You can refuse to pay, but then you won't be able to ship Fedex any longer, they will close your account and send the debt to collections.

You can either pay it and learn a hard lesson, or let them close the account and start using UPS. Fedex and UPS fees are very similar, but you are much safer with UPS, especially shipping Internationally.

2007 Pontiac Solstice
Old 02-16-2008, 10:47 PM

Default NAFTA

In reference to the North America Free Trade Agreement, (NAFTA) a shipment can qualify for reduced or no fees if a NAFTA statement is included on the commercial invoice required by customs. This statement is a sentence requesting the shipment to be rated under the NAFTA agreement. For shipments valued more that $1,600 CAD an actual NAFTA certificate of origin is required to receive the reduced or eliminated fees.

You don't benefit from NAFTA unless you ask for it. Don't ask me why. This only benefits the importer in Canada. It doesn't reduce the costs of the US shipper unless you ship it Fedex and the importer refuses to pay the fees.

2007 Pontiac Solstice
Old 02-17-2008, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Serio
To protect your self as a seller on ebay there are several boxes you can check or uncheck as the case may be when you list your auctions clearly stating where & where you will not ship to. How that bid got thru & the guy won is that you had the wrong boxes checked. Or maybe you did not have enough boxes checked. Point being, YOU can block out certain countries or all of them if you want to; except the US if that's where your selling out of. That one little box would have cured this entire problem before it began in 2 like seconds time. Often I have a possible bidder EM me & ask beacuse if you have a country blocked, he or she can look & ohhh & ahhhh but he or she can't bid, (it will not go thru). That way perhaps you can pre-screen possible bidders in the future.

Pete I didnt want to exclude shipment to Canada.
I did state that the buyer,if from Canada,needed to contact me first as the flat rate
shipping that was part of auction was for USA only.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:11 PM

I'm Canadian ah UPS won't even drop at my place of business ( where they pick-up and deliever 9 out of 10 days ) with out being paid. However don't let them leave without a proof of payment, because I've seen their collection agency come looking for money they already recieved more than once. Please don't stop shipping goods North we need parts too. Thanks