Old 08-24-2023, 06:23 PM

Default For Sale, LOT OF 20 Pontiac OHC 6 Engines

Hello

I have 20 Pontiac OHC 6 Engines for sale as a Lot of 20.

All the Engines I have Have been bought in the Past 30-40 years, Have been in DRY STORAGE the whole time since I bought them, I have No idea Why they were Removed other than a Bad Cam or just exchanged for being Tired or for a V8 Exchange of some type.

There is NO WARRANTY GIVEN OR IMPLIED!!!

I have Never done anything to, indicate their Serviceability, they are JUST BEING SOLD AS SERVICEABLE PARTS. I an guesstimating that since I have Had them SOOOO long that the about 75-80 Percent or More Blocks are Standard Bore, no Rods Thrown, Some Have the 4 Barrel Sprint Setup, some are the 1 Barrels, some have manifolds, Maybe a 1 barrel crab here and there, some have the Quadrajet Carb. I have Never taken an Inventory of them other than in my head, a Small Number are Missing the Head.

They would be Great for Someone to take over in able to keep the ole OHC 6 alive for many years to come,

I am asking for $10.000.00 "FIRM" for the LOT, that is $500.00 Each.

Anyone interested in purchasing them as a "LOT" Please Contact me below.

I do not want to do oneZes, twoZes with them.

I have been a Pontiac Guy since I bought my 1957 Pontiac Cheifton, 1967 Firebird Sprint, My 1969 Tempest Sprint AND MY 1967 Tempest Sprint.

I really Loved the Sprint Engine, Could NOT let them be JUNKED, too rare of an Engine, and 30 years ahead if its time.

I can be reached at 1010297@att.net, I live in Sacramento, Ca.

"PLEASE ONLY SERIOUS OFFERS, PLEASE"

Thanks,

Mike

Old 08-24-2023, 06:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY!

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 08-24-2023, 07:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If there is a shop that specializes in them you may have a winner.

Old 08-24-2023, 07:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I see you signed as Mike
are you connected to John?

Old 08-25-2023, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Please pay attention to the rules for the for sale sections: https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=704480

Old 08-30-2023, 09:03 AM

Default BMFH and the Engine

Hello

Yes, this me the OLD BMFH, for those of you that don't Know what my name represents it means BOAT MOTOR FROM HELL, one of the guy's on the forum gave this engine that name a few years ago, I really liked the name so used it as My Login Name of BMFH.

Here is a Link to it.

https://www.geocities.ws/ohcjhatch/ohc.htm

This is an OHC 6 Racing engine that I have had for several years, I wanted to do something with it over the years, but I was Just Not able to Finance doing it with Family Financial Responsibilities, 2 Divorces, 4 Daughters and all that comes along with having Girls, Schooling Cost's, Life in General Etc, Etc.

It was Raced on Salton Sea in SO CAL in the late 90's, Won A lot of the Races against a V8 field, the Racers Really Hated it because they Could NOT WIN against a 6 Cylinder, It won Races as a 3.8L, 4.1L And as a 5.0L (301 with a 292 Crank) It even won the "Championship" the first year in the water, that REALLY FRUSTRATED THE OTHER RACERS with V8's

It was in a "Loner" Lakes Car and raced on El Mirage Dry Lake, Murroc Dry lake at Edwards AFB in Nor Cal, Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah.

It's Best Speed was 159 MPH, It Had problems with the Ignition breaking down at High RPM's, (Over 5000 RPM's) It had Gobs of Power and wanted to come around on JD Tone at 5000 RPM's. Like I said It was in JD's Loner Lakes Car, they Just did Not have the Luxury of continuing to racing it. I bought it in 2001.

They Finally figured why the Ignition was Breaking Down, The DIS Ignition unit did not have a ground wire. The Simplest thing some times cause us to pull out our hair trying to solve the Problems., Check the Basics as a lot of People Say.

It was Raced by Bud Meyer, Vic Enyart and JD Tone who is in the 200 MPH club at the Bonneville Salt Flats with a Supercharged 302 GMC Engine.

"LONG STORY SHORT"
I will be Donating it to the American Museum Of Speed in Lincoln Nebraska Soon, at

https://whygoby.smugmug.com/Eddie-Meyer-Display/

If anyone Wants to Visit the Museum, they just picked up 13 Truckloads of the UNCER Racing Family's Historical Racing History Items.

The Museum Recently Completed a $10 Million Expansion.

It is going to the Eddie-Meyer-Display, The Meyer Family Racers started in the 30's with Flathead Fords, They Raced on Land, Water or anywhere they could find the places. The Meyer Family Raced A LOT at INDY, in 1936 Lou Meyer won the Indy 500, he was a Farm Boy and Liked MILK, so that is what he drank in the Winners Circle, He started that Tradition.

The Meyers built engines and Raced, If any one can remember, Meyer Engines were a Threat at INDY for Many Years, they Bought Drake Engines and were referred to as Meyer-Drake Engines, they Bought Offenhauser Engines and became Drake-Offenhauser witch eventually became Offenhauser Engines with RULED INDY for MANY YEARS.

Sorry this Got SO LONG,

Take Care

John

Last edited by BMFH; 08-30-2023 at 09:09 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BMFH For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2023, 09:20 AM

Hello

What Problems have I encountered, Please advise, No Ofence was Intended.

I tried that link, My computer Could Not bring it up, Sorry.

BMFH

Old 08-30-2023, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

good to hear from you John
GLWS

Old 08-31-2023, 07:40 AM
Senior Chief

Hey John good to hear from you. I remember seeing the pictures of the engine way back when and instantly thinking “BMFH”.

Lots of people (me included) would love to own the engine but you are doing a great thing putting it in the museum since it really is a piece of history.

Old 08-31-2023, 11:05 AM

Hello 66Sprint

Yes it will be going to a Wonderful Home, I am Proud to have saved it FOR HISTORY, and Not Blown it up.

Here is a Link to the Museum:

https://whygoby.smugmug.com/Eddie-Meyer-Display/

The Display is for The MEYER RACING HISTORY, It is a Very Large Museum, the just finished a $10 Million Addition, and also Picked up 13 Truckloads of the UNCER RACING History items.

Thanks for the Kudos,

John

Old 08-31-2023, 12:12 PM

Hello

Thanks for the good words.

Do you have any ideas on someone that Might want to buy the Engines??

The were Not Cheap when I Purchased them, I have Protected them these Past 40 Years by keeping them Sheltered, Some were Setting Outside when I found them, they should be completely rebuild-able with the NORMAL Machine Shop reconditioning of ANY Engine.

Take Care,

John

Old 08-31-2023, 01:46 PM

Default Small Mistake

Hello

I made a TYPO Error.

The Engine was Raced at Salton Sea in the Early 70's, and on Land in the Late 90's.

Sorry for the Typo.

Take Care

John

Old 08-31-2023, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMFH View Post
Hello

Thanks for the good words.

Do you have any ideas on someone that Might want to buy the Engines??

The were Not Cheap when I Purchased them, I have Protected them these Past 40 Years by keeping them Sheltered, Some were Setting Outside when I found them, they should be completely rebuild-able with the NORMAL Machine Shop reconditioning of ANY Engine.

Take Care,

John
Since you’re asking…..quite honestly I think you need to be willing sell the engines separately. Finding someone to buy all 20 at the same time is a tall order, especially with a vague description and no actual list identifying each one and its actual condition.

Certainly it’s a lot more work to list and describe each engine separately but this may be the only realistic way to sell them. I think you’d find some buyers for individual engines, all 20 not so much.

Old 08-31-2023, 03:37 PM

Default Engines Condition

Hello All

Like I said earlier, In my opinion as a Automotive, Truck and a USAF HELICOPTER Mechanic for More than 60 Years, I feel that they ALL are serviceable Cores and Can be Rebuilt/Reconditioned as any Other engine that needs a Rebuild.

The ONE Requirement is THAT THE MACHINE SHOP THAT DOES THE REBUILD MUST BE A COMPETENT ONE, and Supplied with Technical Information, I.E. A SHOP MANUAL LIKE THE 1966/7 OHC 6 FACTORY Shop Manual, (THE BEST ONES) so that they can do the Rebuild Confidently, Have ALL THE TECHNICAL TECH DATA and Provide a Warranty for the Rebuild, a test stand running would be a BIG PLUS.

Cam and Followers need a Very Good Break in at 2000 RPM's for 20-30 Min's, the Engine MUST BE ABLE TO START WITH THE FIRST CRANKING, Must be Full of Coolant, Oil Filter Full, Oil Pan Full with Break in Oil, A GOOD ZDDP oil Supplement, Well Lubricated/GREASED CAM AND FOLLOWERS, Primed Oil System with Positive Oil Pressure Reading on a Gage, Timing Set to Start and RUN AT THE FIRST CRANKING, and Enough Fuel to Start and Run for 30 Min.

This is WHY a Test Stan Run Would be BEST for the FIRST START and RUN, The Fresh Rebuild will run VERY HOT, Make Sure ALL Cooling System Hose Clamps are TIGHT And the Cooling System Has NO AIR IN IT, A VERY BIG FAN BLOWING ON IT AT RUN TIME WOULD REALLY HELP.

WARNING: THE Coolant will be OVER 220 Degrees during BREAK IN, If a Hose Blows Off Everyone Around the Engine MAY GET SCALDED with the SUPER HEATED COOLANT. Running without the Thermostat will allow Better Circulation and Cooling for Break in.

This is a really SCARY PROCEDURE, but Must be Done for Proper Cam and Followers Break in.

I feel that their Current Condition isn't any different than any other Engine going for Rebuilding, It is Basically a Chevy 6 Cylinder converted into an Overhead Cam Engine, there lies the Uniqueness of the Engine and it Needs Careful Attention to DETAIL and proper DATA during the Rebuilding Process.

Hope this Helps with the Engines

Take Care,

John

Last edited by BMFH; 08-31-2023 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-31-2023, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You didn't listen to a single thing he said, did you?

Old 08-31-2023, 07:26 PM

Default Selling the ENGINES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
You didn't listen to a single thing he said, did you?
Hello

YES I DID, However I can NOT TAKE SO MUCH TIME TRYING TO SELL THEM ONE BY ONE, They Do Not Sell too well as A whole Engine One By One.

Sorry If I RUFFLED ANY FEATHERS, I am just Trying to sell them as a Lot to someone who wants to try and Keep the OLE PONTIAC OHC 6 Engine Alive for Many Years to Come.

John

Old 08-31-2023, 10:12 PM

Default OHC 6 Cam Break In

Hello

Just FYI

Cam and Followers Break in Lubricant.

The Very Best Grease that I have Found is DEAD CENTER GREASE.

It is an EXTREME PRESSURE GREASE used in the Dead Centers on Lathes for turning Large/Long Machining Jobs, in the early days they did not have Live Centers.

I.E. Live Centers that Had bearings to let the Centers Rotate to eliminate the Extreme Heat that Dead Centers Generated from a Frictional Non Rotating Center.

You should be able to find the DEAD CENTER GREASE at a Machine Shop Supply, or Online with Someone.

If you choose to use it, it has to be RUBBED INTO THE CAM LOBES AND CAM FOLLOWERS very vigorously, I use My Thumb and Rub it in Firmly.

I have Never had a Cam, Lifters, or Cam Followers Go Bad during Break In using this Grease.

Take Care

John

P.S.

This is for BEFORE the Initial Start Up After Rebuilding, there also needs to be Good FRESH Oil and ZDDP Additive in the Oil for really Good Protection

Last edited by BMFH; 08-31-2023 at 10:21 PM.
Old 09-01-2023, 06:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Maybe this lot of engines would sell better in an auction, like ebay.

Old 09-01-2023, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I get where Johns coming from on this.
I too will be faced with same scenario(or my kids will).
Its not easy moving that much stuff,so hes just trying to push the easy button.
Unfortunately there were far too many OHC-6s produced to have a serious collector
pull up with an empty semi and a wad of cash. But who knows...
GLWS

Old 09-01-2023, 11:51 AM

Default Pontiac OHC 6 Sale

Hello All

Yes, I know that selling them in a Lot will be Harder, It is My FIRST intention to give the OHC 6 community the FIRST SHOT at saving them, We all Love the Engine and are Trying to Keep it Alive.

They are Still so Unique, Powerful as a Sprint and Fun to Drive, Nothing Better than GRABBING GEARS with a SPRINT.

I raced My 67 Firebird on the Drag Strip against a 1967 Mustang 274 HP 4 Speed and beat him by 1/2 a Car Twice, He was Flabbergasted that a 6 Cylinder beat him.

I only used 1st and 2nd, launched at 3000 RPM's, shifted a 7200 RPM's, that Engine would Rev, It was BOX STOCK TOO.

Nothing Better than Blowing the DOORS of a V8 Powered Car with a 6.

I had MORE FUN with my 1967 Firebird Sprint than ANY Car I have Ever Owned.

That is the Main Reason I accumulated so many of them, I just Love The Engine.

I think Most of us feel the Same about the Sprints and the OHC 6.

Take Care,

John