Old 07-18-2010, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTGOAT66 View Post
going to talk today to the owner. I don't know if $10.000 is a good price or not there is a orange gto judge 1970 ram air lll 4 speed on e bay for buy me now $17,000 clean with original floor pans. this car im looking at has both replacement pans installed. and would need all new interior. why buy a car if its going to take $20.000 to get it to look sharp plus 10.000 $30.000 .... Is the Bermuda blue just desirable color? This car don't have the $4.000 carb as well as the one on e bay for $17.000.I just don't want to get screwed if i pay 10.000 for this car. if its a real judge. Any comments on value?
FastGoat66 -

Car on eBay doesn't seem like a bad deal, but you don't know what that recent paint job is covering up.

If you're in this for the money, just buy it, document it, have some fun working on it and sell it. If you get in it for $10k, you should be fine, but don't expect to make enough money to put your kids through college. You also need to understand that the market took a substantial dip over the past few years and it could dip again. In 2005, this car would have sold on eBay for $25,000-$30,000, but restored cars were bringing 3x that, so most folks saw it as a good investment. That's not the case today; you can just about buy a restored Judge for what project Judges were selling for just a few years ago.

You could spend a lot more than $20k getting this car to "look sharp" and I'll bet you a cold beer that you will recoup less than 50 cents on the dollar.

BB is a desirable color, but the car on eBay was Atoll Blue, which isn't too shabby, either.

To sum up -

If you want to flip it, buy it, document it, and try to sell it for a small profit. If you hang on to it, there's a chance that the market will take another hit. Spend your $ on tune up, fluids, wheel cylinders, brake drums, belts and hoses - and spend your time cleaning, documenting, and getting it road worthy. If you replace the interior, get it painted, rebuild the engine, etc, you're not going to get your $ out of it.

If you want a keeper (doesn't sound like you do), buy a quality car and don't fret over having to pay a good price.

If all you want is a restored car, plop down $40k or so for a nicely restored one. That kind of takes all the fun out of it if you ask me, but it's the most cost-effective way to do it.

My $.02.

Scott

Old 07-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Spot-on post, bulletpruf.

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime