Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-01-2009, 08:27 PM
Senior Chief

Default pulling my engine

What I s the best way to hook up to my cherry picker ? I have a edelbrock rpm
so is one of them carb plates going to work or should I pull the intake and use two bolts from that or just try to hook into the heads on front and back

Old 02-01-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrr421 View Post
What I s the best way to hook up to my cherry picker ? I have a edelbrock rpm
so is one of them carb plates going to work or should I pull the intake and use two bolts from that or just try to hook into the heads on front and back
Any of the three methods you listed will work fine.

Myself I always use 4 lifting points, front and back of both heads usually with a load leveler so I can tilt the engine (or engine/trans assembly) as I go. Using the four outermost intake bolts in the heads works well too, I've done it both ways.

I like the carb lifting plates for moving engines around the garage quickly, but not for engine removal only because they don't tilt the engine.

Using the tilter to remove a trans from the shipping crate:

Old 02-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

front and back and both sides, carb and valve covers removed, dist too. I prefer using holes on the ends of the heads, only cause I fear stripping intake holes more than others. And if you have the shiny rpm, then you want to keep the chains away too. I have lifted by rocker stus and head bolts, using old long head bolts in the end holes. I can't recall using exhaust bolts, but they would be about the same as using intake

Old 02-02-2009, 02:54 PM

This time when I pulled the 400 out of my 69, I used a intake plate, the one with three holes. I used the forward hole and pulled the motor straight up. (auto trans left in the car). I thought it worked great, at least in my application.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tilter with the carb plate or bolt holes on the end of the heads. Generally stay away from intake / manifold bolts.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The conservative enclave in a land of liberals; South Orange County, CA

I've pulled two of the three engines in my cars...I've used a carb lift plate both times.

HOWEVER...make sure there is NO debris (washers, etc) on the bottom of the plate when you reinstall the engine. Don't ask me how I know that...