Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-29-2003, 11:32 AM

I am about to go and get a 400 from a junkyard. What are things that I need to look for before buying the long block?
Second, I want 9.25:1 compression ratio. What heads should I be on the lookout for? This is the first motor I will have ever built, so I have no idea were to start. All the help I can get would be appreciated.
I'm looking to get the best running engine on pump gas I can. Not a daily driver and haven't selected a gear ratio yet. What cam would run good, a 292?
My combo is completely open. Its going in my 70 bird that currently has a 350 in it and "highway gears" that will be changed.

Chris

Drink Beer.

Old 05-29-2003, 11:32 AM

I am about to go and get a 400 from a junkyard. What are things that I need to look for before buying the long block?
Second, I want 9.25:1 compression ratio. What heads should I be on the lookout for? This is the first motor I will have ever built, so I have no idea were to start. All the help I can get would be appreciated.
I'm looking to get the best running engine on pump gas I can. Not a daily driver and haven't selected a gear ratio yet. What cam would run good, a 292?
My combo is completely open. Its going in my 70 bird that currently has a 350 in it and "highway gears" that will be changed.

Chris

Drink Beer.

Old 05-30-2003, 08:02 AM

Well, I got a short block from a salvage yard up in Oklahoma. So now the next thing I need to do is worry about heads and all the internal parts of the engine. I e-mailed the dude about a set of heads, so I'm going to wait and see what he says before I do anything.

Thankfully its not my daily driver. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Drink Beer.

Old 05-30-2003, 09:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Might be hard to find a set of heads that will give you 9.25-1 on a 400. what heads came on the 400 you just got?? What do you plan to do with this motor? how much are you willing to spend?

And a bit of advice. Don't go by what the web pages post on head volumes. 9 out of 10 times they're wrong. The compression calculators could be wrong as well.

If you go with edelbrocks, the 87cc head with flat tops will be close if you zero deck the block.

Old 05-30-2003, 10:08 AM

I'm spending most of my money on the internal parts of the block. I can't afford a set of Edlebrocks (which is what I want). I'm just looking for a good set of heads that will get me running well. Eventually (a year or so) Edelbrocks will go on the car. I'm just looking for a set of "large" valve heads that will get me a decent comp. ratio that won't require any fuel additives. I didn't buy any heads when I got the motor.

Chris

Drink Beer.

Old 05-30-2003, 12:56 PM

6X-4's can be milled to give you exactly 9.25 to 1, IF you zero-deck the motor.

Old 05-30-2003, 08:45 PM
Senior Chief

I have a set of #47's, From what I know they can be made to flow as good as the #46's, Anyone know anything about the potential of the #47'S. I would like to sell them, get them out of the way..... Make an offer if you would like them.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Im putting together a .040 455 with Edelbrock heads (72cc), Eagle Rods, FLAT top J&E Pistons for 12:1, Harland sharp roller Rockers, Fluidampner, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, and 750 Demon Carb. "GOT TRACTION"