Old 05-04-2008, 07:35 PM
Senior Chief

Default STARTER ENGAGES 50% OF THE TIME

63 BONNE, 389 STOK. I TURN THE KEY TO START & SOLENOID CLICKS, TRY A COUPLE MORE TIMES & CLICK. THEN TURN TO START & STARTER ENGAGES & SPINS THE MOTOR & IT STARTS. ALL CONNECTION WERE CLEANED & BATT. IS GOOD BECAUSE WHEN IT DOES ENGAGE IT TURNS OVER FAST & STARTS. STARTER OR SOLENOID. I THINK IT IS THE ORIGINAL STARTER 45 YRS BUT 68M MILES.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If the solenoid clicks but the starter doesn't crank, most likely the high current connection in the solenoid is bad. It's a copper disc that makes contact from the large battery bolt to the motor when the solenoid pulls in. The disc gets arced from use and sometimes fails to make contact.

George

Old 05-05-2008, 09:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Miles don't matter. How many times did it start in the last 45 years? Sure don't make em like they used to. Time for a complete rebuild on the starter and sol.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just disassemble the solenoid, flip the copper disk over, flip the bolts over and it will be good as new.

david

Old 05-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Senior Chief

THANKS GUYS. I'LL TRY ABOVE OR A NEW SOLENOID.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6t7gto
Just disassemble the solenoid, flip the copper disk over, flip the bolts over and it will be good as new.
david
DITTO! just rotate the button so the burned part is away and the clean part of the button is the target and it'll go another 45 years. The last one I did that to was in the parking lot of my kids dentist about 25 years ago. About 45 mins to get it done with my x-wife leaning on the car so the bumper jack wouldnt tilt over (she still liked me then) (8-)

Old 05-05-2008, 09:14 PM

An easier way to turn the contact/washer is to leave starter/solenoid in place. Unhook battery terminal, loosen lock nut on big wire connection of solenoid. Push stud in and turn 50 degrees and pull back out. Lock the nut back down, hook your battery connections back up.
Done

Rick
Old 05-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

George is right . 67 is right. Slick, 50 degrees won't get it. 180 will. If you turn it 50 and tighten you will crack the sol cap. Even at that you have only renewed 1 of 3 contacts in the sol. Positive brushes could be down to the screws and give the same symptoms. After 45 years why not give the old gal a makeover. For $50.00 bucks you can give her a drive, bushings, brushes on a true com, good sol contacts, and a little well deserved lubrication. Some old gals need a little lube after 45 years.