THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-16-2023, 08:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Reread A book,Tuxedo Park. About wealthy financier.

My wife bought me book about 20 years ago called Tuxedo Park. I just reread it.The book is about a wealthy financier who made his money before the stock market crash. However he wanted more challenges. He opened his own lab. Invited physicists there,he was very intelligent himself amateur physicist himself. Through his efforts and influence helped win WW II. His efforts evolved the development of approx 100 different forms of radar. The proximity fuse. Before any news of atomic weapons he helped build a cyclotron. One quote was from a friend,'radar helped win the war,the atomic bomb ended it'. You do not hear much about these 'back' stories.

Old 06-16-2023, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Alfred Lee Loomis. There's an interesting bio of the man on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Lee_Loomis His children and grandchildren were innovators as well.

Old 06-16-2023, 08:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The wife new I liked books about spys,WWII,inventions. So she bought books as surprises. Programs dont mention much but the proximity fuse helped shoot down many V1s. Bringing a 'trunk' from Britain to the US with all Britains military secrets by Britains physicists was unique. Radar helped defeat Hitler more than anything else it seems from the information.