Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-11-2020, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Dip stick with Milodon oil pan

I'm getting ready to install the 7 quart milodon oil pan for use in my 67 Bird. What dip stick should/can I use???

67 Firebird Convert 455 +.060 TH400 74cc KRE d-ports piston dished 16cc H-beam rods Comp Cam 305-AH-8 cam 108* LSA 253/260 @.050 duration .577/.594 lift w/1.65 rockers Ford 9" 3.50 Detroit Locker M/T Sportsman Radials 31x18x15 on Convo Pro 15x15s
Old 06-11-2020, 12:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Talking

I have the same pan on my 68 and I use the same dip stick as came with the car the way I see it is , the dip stick is marked so the crank don't hit the oil when turning so who cares how deep the pan is, just as long as you don't over fill it and the crank don't hit the oil when turning, and air don't start to get added, had pan for over 10 years and never had any trouble-------BOB

The Following User Says Thank You to ELKHORNAOG7 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2020, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELKHORNAOG7 View Post
I have the same pan on my 68 and I use the same dip stick as came with the car the way I see it is , the dip stick is marked so the crank don't hit the oil when turning so who cares how deep the pan is, just as long as you don't over fill it and the crank don't hit the oil when turning, and air don't start to get added, had pan for over 10 years and never had any trouble-------BOB

Thanks. Been a while but what is the length of a stock dip stick without a/c ???

67 Firebird Convert 455 +.060 TH400 74cc KRE d-ports piston dished 16cc H-beam rods Comp Cam 305-AH-8 cam 108* LSA 253/260 @.050 duration .577/.594 lift w/1.65 rockers Ford 9" 3.50 Detroit Locker M/T Sportsman Radials 31x18x15 on Convo Pro 15x15s
Old 06-11-2020, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i have that pan also & use a stock non a/c dipstick, mine measures ~17.5". at 6 qts it is at the "add" line. 7 qts shows full.

a bit of advice when installing the pan, do not use the stock 3 prong rear rubber "U" gasket, it will not seal very well if at all. use the 1/4" thick cork gasket with ultra black or grey or another good gasket sealer on both sides. i installed it myself & fought with a leak when i first ran the engine that i thought was a rear main leak, took it back to the builder since he assembled the short block & he pulled it off & replaced the rear main & reinstalled the pan... leaked worse than when i did it! after doing some research & talking with a reputable pontiac builder i used the cork gasket & its still dry 6 years later.

The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2020, 06:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
i have that pan also & use a stock non a/c dipstick, mine measures ~17.5". at 6 qts it is at the "add" line. 7 qts shows full.

a bit of advice when installing the pan, do not use the stock 3 prong rear rubber "U" gasket, it will not seal very well if at all. use the 1/4" thick cork gasket with ultra black or grey or another good gasket sealer on both sides. i installed it myself & fought with a leak when i first ran the engine that i thought was a rear main leak, took it back to the builder since he assembled the short block & he pulled it off & replaced the rear main & reinstalled the pan... leaked worse than when i did it! after doing some research & talking with a reputable pontiac builder i used the cork gasket & its still dry 6 years later.
Thanks for the advice. I plan to use Butler's one piece gasket. It's a thcker rubber rubber gasket with a metal core with some ultra black.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Why would you think a different dipstick is required? Nothing changes in relation to the height of the oil in the pan. The displacement (volume) of the pan is increased by the added depth and/or kick-outs at the sides.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:44 PM
Boost Engineer

At my old job, the first one when I worked for the "F" Guys, our mechanics used to calibrate every stick with two lightly filed marks on the OPPOSITE side of the stick.
So any Non A/C stick will work if you put in 4 quarts plus 1 for the filter and run the engine for a couple of minutes. Then let the engine sit for a hour.

Come back and check the oil. The reading will now be 4 quarts in the pan and one in the filter with a full size filter. If you have a smaller than one quart filter it does not matter you still have 5 quarts total in the engine in the two places. File a mark on the back side of the stick for the "1 quart low" oil level.

Then add the last quart of oil, run the engine, let it sit again and after the same period of time take a second reading with 6 quarts added to the engine. Make a mark on the stick at the higher location.

So now you have a "calibrated" oil dip stick for your engine/oil pan/oil filter configuration.

If you have a 1967/1968 engine /oil pan some of those used a different marked dip stick as they wanted 6 quarts plus one for the filter. Doesn't matter though if you mark the back side of the stick. If the lines match then you are good. If the lines are different you know exactly the oil pan offset from the AVERAGE Pontiac OIL PAN configuration.

Kick-out pans, deep sump pans, makes no difference. Put your oil in the engine, run the engine and do what I posted above.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 05:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
At my old job, the first one when I worked for the "F" Guys, our mechanics used to calibrate every stick with two lightly filed marks on the OPPOSITE side of the stick.
So any Non A/C stick will work if you put in 4 quarts plus 1 for the filter and run the engine for a couple of minutes. Then let the engine sit for a hour.

Come back and check the oil. The reading will now be 4 quarts in the pan and one in the filter with a full size filter. If you have a smaller than one quart filter it does not matter you still have 5 quarts total in the engine in the two places. File a mark on the back side of the stick for the "1 quart low" oil level.

Then add the last quart of oil, run the engine, let it sit again and after the same period of time take a second reading with 6 quarts added to the engine. Make a mark on the stick at the higher location.

So now you have a "calibrated" oil dip stick for your engine/oil pan/oil filter configuration.

If you have a 1967/1968 engine /oil pan some of those used a different marked dip stick as they wanted 6 quarts plus one for the filter. Doesn't matter though if you mark the back side of the stick. If the lines match then you are good. If the lines are different you know exactly the oil pan offset from the AVERAGE Pontiac OIL PAN configuration.

Kick-out pans, deep sump pans, makes no difference. Put your oil in the engine, run the engine and do what I posted above.

Tom V.

Thanks Tom. Just being a "little" over cautious. Been TOO many years since this car was on the road. Getting closer. Just wanting to make sure as much is correct as I can.

Old 06-12-2020, 09:08 AM
Boost Engineer

Never want to see anything bad happen on a member's vehicle.

If you calibrate the dipstick then you KNOW exactly what you have for your collection of parts in the oil system. Always better to know vs think you know.

The EPA was very picky about any maint on the 50,000 mile fleet durability vehicles.
You had to prove that the oil level was a true quart low at add oil.

The process described eliminated all discussion by the EPA with "what is the true oil consumption of the vehicle vs the mileage on the engine."

And it is a very good way to now know exactly what your oil level is.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post: