The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 05-12-2008, 09:33 PM

Default 68 firebird fenders same as Camaro?

Curious if in 68 the fenders were the same just like the doors and trunk lid with Camaro?

Thanks,
Marty

Old 05-13-2008, 06:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i don't think so...

Old 05-13-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guccieng
i don't think so...
Thanks for the reply, is it just the marker hole or the the shape of the front is different?

Marty

Old 05-13-2008, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i think it's the headlight attaching stuff inside that differs. 67 varies to 68 and rallysport and non-rallysport for the camaros. you can get the usa made ones for 800 bucks or the camaro repops for 190, the firebird for 320. quite a price difference, huh?

Old 05-13-2008, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guccieng
i think it's the headlight attaching stuff inside that differs. 67 varies to 68 and rallysport and non-rallysport for the camaros. you can get the usa made ones for 800 bucks or the camaro repops for 190, the firebird for 320. quite a price difference, huh?
I think the headlights and all the other stuff in that area is atached to the bumper support and radiator support, the fender just wraps around. Also the 67 had different turn signal and valance so the lower fender attachment might have been different.
The GM dealer quoted me like $625 list with a $475 my cost for a left Firebird fender. But are these the USA made or just a repro licensed by GM? Not much response here, maybe people just haven't had much experience with these.

Thanks,
Marty

Old 05-14-2008, 01:07 AM

Send a message via MSN to shannon2356

Marty!
I don't know a whole lot about the Firebirds. But I just read were you talked to a GM dealer. I would think that most of that price is in just a marked up price.
But thats just me!
And about them being the same? I just went to Ebay. And was looking 68 Camaros and Firebirds. I got to say they really look close. Just from the looks of them!. All but the light as you know.

812-820-0274 or 812-794-2356
http://www.myspace.com/andersoncustomauto
http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii206/shannon2356/
Old 05-14-2008, 02:50 AM

Shannon,
I agree with you about both price and the similarity of shape. Need to find a Camaro one for up close comparison.
Thanks,
Marty

Old 05-15-2008, 03:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The lines and the dimensions are the same, but one thing is for sure, the camaro fender has a notch at the front bottom where it meets the lower fender extension. That notch is for the bumper support. A while ago, in 1998, a friend of mine ordered two front fenders from a local resto parts supplier for the 67 Bird he was restoring and what he got was a pair of 67 Camaro fenders, right down to the holes for the Camaro nameplate ! That was the only fenders available then, he was told. I remember he welded that notch closed, along with the holes for the Camaro emblems. I do not remember about the front part where the headlamps are but once finished, everything was perfect as far as lenght, curves, fit along door, etc. Frank.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:04 AM

Thanks for that info Frank. Do you recall if the wheel well lip has the same contour?

Marty

Old 05-15-2008, 02:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I ordered a pair of standard 67 camaro fenders in 80.
They were the same as my 67 FB with no holes cutout for emblems.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 05-16-2008, 01:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

yes the wheel lips were absolutely the same because he put back on the original wheel opening mouldings that were on the firebird before. Also, everyone lists the wheel opening mouldings being the same for camaro and firebird, at least in the front. Frank.