The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 01-28-2021, 03:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hopefully that thread I made on fixing them will still be worth something when I try to install the fenders It all looks right so far, but won't really know until the sheet metal goes on.

Old 01-31-2021, 02:45 PM

Anybody remember what these brackets are for ?
They are presenton the GTO Core as well but are of a different shape and different location
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Core support brackets.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	559852  

Old 01-31-2021, 03:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

These are the attachment points between the core support & the large stamped steel structure that runs sideways & attaches to the bumper. This style of attachment was used on '70 Pontiac A-body, GTO, '71 & 72 T41 LeMans & GTO. The rubber insulator is reproduced for these. '69 & 70 GP's had similar attachment with wider larger rubber insulators.

Old 02-01-2021, 01:29 PM

I appreciate that offer but these are at the top of the core support (you are looking at the core support upside down in the image)
I m having atough time picturing what you describe this high up

Old 02-01-2021, 04:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I remember I had to cut them off to use the support on my 68.

Old 02-01-2021, 06:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think OPH is correct...they look like the hooks that you insert a rubber bushing and help keep the front bumper pulled up tight...at least that is what they look like on a 70 GTO core support.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 02-02-2021, 02:51 PM

I finally found my tear down pix and have determined they were not used on the 70' Lemans Sort Vert
Still have no clear idea as to thier purpose but at least I know I don't need them anyway.
Here's a couple pix of them as found:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Core support top brackets (unused) Left side.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	559972   Click image for larger version

Name:	Core support top brackets (unused)Pass side.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	559973  

Old 02-03-2021, 11:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrell in Vancouver View Post
I finally found my tear down pix and have determined they were not used on the 70' Lemans Sort Vert
Still have no clear idea as to thier purpose but at least I know I don't need them anyway.
Here's a couple pix of them as found:
Here is the assembly manual drawing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1970GTOSheet14-3.1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	560076  

Old 02-04-2021, 12:23 PM

Hey! Thanks for that drawing. Looks like the GTO Endura front end requires them to stabilize the top of the bumper (if Iam reading it right)
Not so much for the LeMans Sport as the Bumper is bolted to the top of the core with a couple brackets that look like straps
I have found some subtle differences in the lenght of the uprights of the repop core for the GTO as compared to the LeMans which would alter the hiegth by as much as a quarter inch.
This worries me when thinking about the effect it would have on the bottom gap of fender to door, so I have removed the bottom rail and working on not only the angle (8- 10 degrees,) but the hieght of the core as well. Much like Data Way had done on his replacement core.
Thanks again to all who've contributed to filling my brain on the differences.

Old 02-04-2021, 03:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, the height question may be an issue for me at some point. When I modified the bottom rail to tilt I left one side connected, pivoted the rail on that side, then added a tiny "Pie Slice" section to fill the gap opened up by tilting it. Which means although the lean is now correct, I have now added about half the pie slice height to the overall LENGTH, whether this increase in straight line length is offset by the tilt I won't really know until the sheet metal goes on. Could probably be corrected by shaving down the frame mounts a bit.

Old 02-05-2021, 11:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Yep, the height question may be an issue for me at some point. When I modified the bottom rail to tilt I left one side connected, pivoted the rail on that side, then added a tiny "Pie Slice" section to fill the gap opened up by tilting it. Which means although the lean is now correct, I have now added about half the pie slice height to the overall LENGTH, whether this increase in straight line length is offset by the tilt I won't really know until the sheet metal goes on. Could probably be corrected by shaving down the frame mounts a bit.
Wondered about that when I read your thread in the 68 section, 'very nice and complete instructional', and was going to comment but it was after you'ed finished.

From looking at the piece you added it should only be about 1/4" high from rotating it forward. If you still have the original a measurement could be verified.

I am in the same dilemma, the new core support I have is undoubtedly the same. My original is bent horizontally but should still measure correct vertically.

Let me know if you want a comparison, you could amend your thread, although 1/4" shouldn't be to much of a issue to adjust down with the support bushings.

Frank

Old 02-06-2021, 04:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you get a chance, I'd appreciate a measurement from top to bottom ... close to the center somewhere? Front edge of the top plate to some easy location on the bottom.

Old 02-13-2021, 03:11 PM

Here's a shot of the two side by side with measurements as found:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Core support side measurements.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	560669  

The Following User Says Thank You to Farrell in Vancouver For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2021, 03:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you sir.

Man you can really see the difference in that bottom plate angle between those two pieces.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Re-pop-Vs-Original-Support-measurements.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	560720  

Last edited by dataway; 02-14-2021 at 03:42 AM.