THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 07:14 PM
Senior Chief

Up here in Canada the penny was discontinued in 2012.everything is rounded off to the 5 cent.

Old 01-14-2021, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by redonred81 View Post
Up here in Canada the penny was discontinued in 2012.everything is rounded off to the 5 cent.
Here in Australia, the one and two cent coins were withdrawn in February 1992. Paying in cash the total is rounded up or down to the nearest 5cents. But if you pay by card, the actual amount to the cent is taken out.

Now there is talk they want to remove the 5 cent coin out of circulation!!

Old 01-14-2021, 10:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just another test. Manufactured crisis.

Old 01-15-2021, 01:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have found myself going almost 100% cashless over the last 5 years or so. No particular reason other than the fact that it's just so much more convenient. The problem is that it makes me spend more. If I go to a gas station to get a cup of coffee, I find myself picking up snack items just because I don't want to run the card for $1.30...so, I'll spend 3 or 4 bucks.
The smarter thing to do is use a credit card if you don't want to use cash. For one thing, it makes you pay more attention to what you're spending when you have to pay that bill at the end of every month. It's probably more secure also.

Old 01-15-2021, 01:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
My dumb ass didn't think about it until later...I was paying with a debit card..lol.
okay
that was a REALLY good one
Can't make that up

If Seinfeld was still filming , they would use that material and pay you for it.

Old 01-15-2021, 03:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would be tempted to say "that's okay, just give me a receipt for the additional amount you are collecting".

Old 01-15-2021, 03:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Think about this, that round up money never gets taxed, or reported that it was a sale. Tax free income with no investment or added overhead.

An establishment that has been doing this since last March is making pretty lucrative extra income. Nobody in the gubermint is paying any attention to it either.

If you use a card, the business pays a 2.5-3.5% finance charge for using the credit card service. I'll bet they would really prefer that you pay cash and accept the bogus round up policy.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 01-15-2021, 06:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Also noticed no one is any longer wiping down the handles of shopping carts as they once were, and many times there isn't any supplies for the customer to wipe the handles down either.
Hy Vee, a grocery chain with more than 240 retail stores in eight Midwestern states, including Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, South Dakota and Wisconsin, actually has cart sanitizing machines in their stores.

All carts are brought back into the store from the parking lot and are run through the cart wash prior to being placed into the cart area in the entrance area of the store.

https://www.supermarketnews.com/issu...itizing-system

Old 01-15-2021, 12:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No shortage here.
And try not to let change pile up.
The fuel station and other small stores I frequent say don't worry about not having enough coins. Your good to go.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 01-15-2021, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

BTY, I'm way behind on tech...
My son showed me how he scans groceries with his phone before putting in cart. No waiting in line for check out.
And phone turns on the fuel pump, and billed thru it also.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 01-17-2021, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We went out for beer and pizza last night. On the way home we stopped at a Kwik Trip (convenience store) to pick up a half gallon of milk. Paid for it with a $5.00 bill and got two $1.00 bills, six quarters, two dimes and one penny in change.

They didn't have a coin shortage, they had a shortage of dollar bills....

Old 01-20-2021, 11:58 AM

Unhappy

Society seems to be getting more dumbed down with each passing day.

Old 01-20-2021, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've noticed that a few local restaurants that were "CASH ONLY" (Translates to "we don't like paying taxes") have moved over to "credit cards only because Coronavirus." With that added 3% credit card fee, sales and income taxes, that's gotta be quite a hit to the bottom line.

Old 01-20-2021, 01:36 PM

In our building, we have a business that sells filtered water and car washing supplies. Pick-up trucks and vans frequently come by for supplies and water to detail their customers' cars at their homes. They empty their vacuum cleaners into our dumpsters and it is amazing how many coins are sucked up from car floors and end up in the dumpsters. When people receive their change from a fast food drive thru, it's easier to just throw the change on their car floor and leave it for the "sweepers" .

Old 01-20-2021, 05:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Red face coin shortage ?

I visited my US BANK branch in Kingman, AZ the other day to deposit a money order. Because I have collected pennies (Lincoln Cents !) since I was a kid in Detroit, I asked for $5.00 in pennies. 'Hattie' told me she didn't have any to give me, not even ONE ROLL. I kept my cool and just went on home. I do not believe there is any kind of coin shortage. Another 'conspiracy theory' probably.

Closed Thread