Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-05-2009, 02:07 AM
Senior Chief

Default Q-Jet rebuild tools

Armed with Cliff's book and a nice 17056262 core, I'm ready to start planning my rebuild. I have disassembled the carb and all is going well. I'm now ready to start making my modifications and parts list to order. My questions are:

What is the best way to measure the small inner diameters (ie idle downtube restrictions, idle bleeds, etc). I did a search and came up with a hit referring to pin gauges. However, I'm not sure that when I went searching for pin gauges that I was coming up with the correct item.

Where do I find a nice set of numbered drill bits? I haven't been able to find a set at any local hardware stores (Lowes, Home Depot).

Thanks!

Old 03-05-2009, 03:25 AM

Hi JJKJ,
Your local machine tool retailer will have the drill sets. I use my pin gauges (my set goes from .061 to .250.) to measure the holes when they fall into the range of my gauges. When they don't fall into that range I use my numbered drills to measure. Not as accurate as the pin gauges but close enough for what we are doing. I am doing my second carb. now and will put it on a 462. I find the second carb. is going a lot faster than the first. I'll bet that with the number of carbs. Cliff has done he turns one out every ten min. HA HA.

Jack.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJKJ View Post
Armed with Cliff's book and a nice 17056262 core, I'm ready to start planning my rebuild. I have disassembled the carb and all is going well. I'm now ready to start making my modifications and parts list to order. My questions are:

What is the best way to measure the small inner diameters (ie idle downtube restrictions, idle bleeds, etc). I did a search and came up with a hit referring to pin gauges. However, I'm not sure that when I went searching for pin gauges that I was coming up with the correct item.

Where do I find a nice set of numbered drill bits? I haven't been able to find a set at any local hardware stores (Lowes, Home Depot).

Thanks!

Cliff sells them.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:08 AM
Senior Chief

You can get small pin sets form .011-.060 and small drill sets #60-#80 from most tool supply houses. MSC.com sells all this and probably McMaster. I recommend the American made drill sets, cost a little more but better quality.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We have five 1-60 bit sets left in the inventory. They are imported, and reasonably priced. They are fine for a couple of q-jets builds here and there, but the American made stuff is better, but they cost about 3 times as much......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 03-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
We have five 1-60 bit sets left in the inventory. They are imported, and reasonably priced. They are fine for a couple of q-jets builds here and there, but the American made stuff is better, but they cost about 3 times as much......Cliff
Cliff, do you also sell the pin gauges? I'm reviewing chap 6 of your book now and putting together my plan for this carb as well as my parts list. Once I've got my list together, I planned on giving you a call to order parts. It would be nice to be able to get the tools from you as well and keep the ordering simple.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have the 1-60 bit set, pin gauges are not needed. The recipes in the book will fall within the selection of drill bits found in the 1-60 and 61-87 sets.....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 03-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can use the drill sets AS the gauges.... simply invert the drill bit to check the size of the hole you're lookin at and effectively you have a full set of go/nogo gauges already to check hole sizes. Ready to drill holes.... invert again and use the business end of the bit to bore said hole.

File that under worthless tip of the day I guess, but pretty damn useful in practice.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Forgot to mention.... not meant as a smart aleck comment ,just meant as additional explanation for what Cliff said.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good advice, just make sure to measure the diameter of the other end, some "low" quality bits will have several sizes ground from the same diameter shanks......Cliff

Old 03-06-2009, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Find a pin vice before you buy the bits. Had a #$ of a time finding 1. I agree with Cliff that the offshore bits work just fine. Harbor? or any other cheap tool shop will have the bits.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the input. Looks like I can pass on the pin gauges. I plan to pick up a #1-#60 bit set and additional bits down to #70 for my receipe #2 carb build.