Old 10-08-2003, 12:07 PM
Senior Chief

My '67 has the standard steering wheel with the Energy Absorbing button in the center. The clear lucite is pretty cracked. Anybody know if the clear piece can be replaced by itself? Where can I get one? It looks like PY only has the deluxe version.

Old 10-08-2003, 12:07 PM
Senior Chief

My '67 has the standard steering wheel with the Energy Absorbing button in the center. The clear lucite is pretty cracked. Anybody know if the clear piece can be replaced by itself? Where can I get one? It looks like PY only has the deluxe version.

Old 10-08-2003, 01:58 PM

are you talking about the cap that goes on the center of the standard 67 steering 3 spoke GTO wheel. Kinda a brushed aluminum "cone" with a a Pontiac logo in the center. If I recall right it smaps on the wheel. I THINK I still have mine but it will take some looking. If I still have it has been clunkin around since 1972 or 1973. Might be I kept it that long for a reason. Consider that the darn thing has survived 4 moves over that period of time.

Describe the piece in detail. If I still have it you can have it. all we gotta do is arrange shipment. No biggie. I don't wanna go chasin off into all sorts of boxes that are burried under all sorta of other boxes unless I think I am lookin for the part you need so try to crank out a description..

Old 10-09-2003, 12:24 AM

I don't think they are repro'd yet. The lucite looks to be held in by a steel retainer riveted into the back of the horn button. Maybe drilling out the rivets is how you would get it out? Thats my plan anyways.

Brian

1967 GTO project in the works. 2000 GTP family hauler.

Old 10-09-2003, 12:56 AM

I bought one at a classic car junk yard here in Phoenix for $20 with the metal spokes and horn buttons and they looked almost brand new (I love the desert). You should be able to find a good piece locally. They were used on alot of different Pontiacs but if you need the metal spokes tke care not to get them from a big car as they had a larger steering wheel.

Old 10-09-2003, 03:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Joe,
No the plastic can not be replaced. No one makes it and it is riveted in place. You will have to find a good replacement. I always find them in the B-Body cars. However they are different in as the center backing is a darker green/turq, then on the A-Body. But it is the exact size.
Good Luck.

Old 10-09-2003, 05:04 AM
Senior Chief

67Ramair, I'm sure we're talking about the same part. Send me an e-mail, the address is in my profile.