Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:09 AM

Default Charlotte Auto Fair 2015

Hello all,
I've been reading about the Charlotte Auto Fair and am considering making a trip down either this year or next. In particular I'm looking for items from Morgan Motor Company, the Pontiac dealer in Albemarle where my car was sold new.

For me this is a long trip (500+ miles). After last year's disappointment at Carlisle I would like to know what people here think of the event. Will I find full size Pontiac parts there? Is the AACA car show worth attending even if you're not into muscle cars? How are the crowds?

Thanks, Frank

1964 Pontiac Catalina Ventura Sports Coupe

Connecticut Pontiac Association

Old 02-16-2015, 10:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I went to the last one in October. Was not all that. It is big, don't get me wrong but I walked the whole swap meet and was not impressed and didn't see too much in way of Pontiac stuff. But then again, I have yet to go to a big event and see a bunch of Pontiac parts. If I were you I'd look into the Spring show in Daytona or even the Turkey Run over Thanksgiving. At least after the event you could hang out at the beach or bel aire.

Check out my sons blog, www.driftundertheradar.com

Old 02-16-2015, 02:12 PM
Senior Chief

really not much in the way of used Pontiac stuff. You could build a complete Ford or
chebby from parts available there. Spring is better. Auction has some nice cars. Mostly muscle cars.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Spring show is a larger venue than the Fall show. The Red field outside of the track is opened only for the Spring event.
It is a good show but if you're looking only for Pontiac parts you'll have to hunt pretty hard for 'em. Like most open meets it's mainly Chevy/Ford parts as mentioned above.

For Pontiac parts Norwalk is you best chance to find what you're looking for!

Old 02-17-2015, 07:47 PM
Senior Chief

I go every year for the spring show. always a good time.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:55 PM
Senior Chief

Default xxxx

Dito on all the comments. Spring show is the biggest, but you need a bird dog with a scent for Pontiacs. They are hard to come by ,also.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:49 PM

Hey Guys,I have had spots spring and fall for over 15yrs now.Spring is bigger for sure.Last fall was down pretty bad.Last spring was about as full as I've ever seen as far as venders,but shoppers were down really bad.We probably sold less than ever.Were really excited to see how full the spots were when arriving on Thursday morning,but foot traffic was poor... As far as Pontiac parts,there are couple dozen venders that have mainly Poncho stuff.There are always Chevy & Ford guys with one of two Pontiac pieces,but you have to look through all there off brand stuff to find them.Usually those are the screaming deals to be had.If your looking for a swap meet that's something comparable to Norwalk,This Ain't it! But there is no other in world like that!!! If your a car guy,& like swap meets,this is one of the best on east coast.It has tons of other stuff,such oil & gas items,signs,& just about anything else.You can find everything thing from antique condom machine to a baseball bat.Also I saw someone say they covered it all.If your not coming for all 4 days,you Ain't covering it all.In other words if you only come for one day,forget it.Your only going to hit the high points,not even half the vendors...Everyone should try it once.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:06 PM

Sorry Frank,meant to say that the AACA meet is kinda small(at least compared to everything else),it's out back kinda of away from a lot of the other stuff.Not a lot of muscle cars in it ,I don't think?There are a ton of clubs for specific makes that show on Saturday.All of pit road & grass in front of it are full of them.Not to mention the track is the car corral.In the spring their parked (to the inside edge and outer edge of the track)all the way around the whole 1 1/2miles,with more outside around back of track.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am always at that show. If you want parts, you need to get there before the re-sellers get there. They have the directory that lists the Pontiac vendors and hit them early on, snapping up deals and rare parts.

At the last show, a fellow PYer arrived on my spot a few hours before I arrived. He spent the night at my house, and towed down a trailer for me loaded with some parts. Upon arriving, he had a guy follow him across the swap meet on foot to get first shot at a 71-72 GTO hood.

Mike

Old 02-21-2015, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The spring show is the better one for sure. I'm still undecided on whether I'll make or not, depends on the money and whether I'm going to show the Grand Prix again. But I do look forward to it every year. I agree you have to look hard for certain parts but at times you can find some interesting stuff. Way more Ford and Chevy stuff than anything else.

A poor man has poor ways.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's a good event and I've been multiple times but never early enough to scarf up any great deals on Pontiac parts. As noted, tons of Ford, Chevy.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:57 AM

Well here we are.Only couple days till AutoFair begins.This Thursday thru Sunday... Hope some of you can make it? Looks like going be wet on Thursday?Chance of late afternoon shower Friday,and real nice for Sat... Notice I didn't give Sunday? It's going be nice also,but if you wait till Sun to come,you have missed most of it... Any of you guys have vender spots?List them here,& members can come by and see what you have or just meet each other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-07-2015, 07:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

LLB-76 - 78. I'm in the corner of the blue field across from the condos.

I'll be taking some 70-76 T/A and Formula hoods, some 71-72 GTO stuff, a 3.23 A-body posi, and some cylinder heads.

Mike

Old 04-07-2015, 09:07 PM

Mike,I'm in JJB 100(?) I can't remember #,lol. We have 89-93(those fall I think),& 100-104 think spring.Ill look at pass later and update for everyone. Guess we're neighbors.Im sure I would probably reconis you.Ill have to come see Ya.Might be interested in rear?

Old 04-08-2015, 04:01 PM

Looks like I'm heading down Saturday. No car or booth this year so I'll be on foot dodging golf carts...

Old 04-08-2015, 05:19 PM

My spots are JJB-99-101.Not taking much Pontiac stuff.Back not going let me take much of anything.Guess just a vacation,lol... Have an NOS pair of Gilbarco 900 series gas pump doors,a few signs,odds and ends.Looks like good weather for Fri-Sun.Maybe wet tomarrow? Come out guys if your looking,there is good chance someone has it...

Old 04-08-2015, 06:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll try to look you up. I don't stray far from the spot until Saturday, so stop by if you get a chance. I have a dark blue 2500 Suburban. My youngest son will come down Friday night.

I didn't bring as much as I originally planned to due to a number of reasons. My oldest son said he may come down and bring the 68 ex-IHRA Firebird drag car on Friday.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:17 PM

Well, thanks to the weather man we took umbrellas instead of sun screen. We got a nice burn and my eyes were full of NC dust for 2 days. I thought the number of vendors was up and the crowd was about the same. As usual, we made it thru the swap meet field and 2 laps around the car corral- but never made it to the AACA show or inside the special displays. From what we saw of the auction, it was pretty lame. Stopped at the PY trailer and made Ames a little richer. Nice to see Chris and the guys. Spent one night at the AACA host hotel, the nearby Embassy Suites- nice place. Bring on Carlisle.