Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-24-2023, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Clutch noise.................lets see if we can figure this out

https://youtu.be/7Cv_cUmVRLo

Ok, little background, tkx 5 speed, 66 gto, about 1200 miles on it so far..........noticed this the other day, never really heard if before..........no issues shifting.

Tried it this morning, cold............no issue, drove about 5 miles and this is what i get when pushing in the clutch pedal...............had my mechanic aka my wife under the car, if she messed with the fork some, the noise would go away, but if you kept pushing it in and out, the noise would come back............now if you pushed the clutch in very fast, no noise.................i have everything set up per the 66 manual spring wise.............so not sure whats is going on here.

In the pic, i can move the fork up and down, dont know if that is right or not.

Pretty sure the clutch springs are new from last year..............any guess on what might be the issue...................to make it interesting.........$20 bucks goes to the winner...................let me know what you guys think it might be.

Rich

Old 10-24-2023, 07:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

sorry about that.................here is the fork i can move up and down some

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clutch fork pic 1.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	622192  

Old 10-24-2023, 07:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbFJ9kNSwC8

This is the other vid i had.............seems the slower you pushed in the clutch, the worse the noise

Old 10-24-2023, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That sounds like the clutch boot - it's black rubber or plastic and looks like an accordion. Sounds like it's letting air out when compressed # 1 in this diagram. https://www.chicagomusclecarparts.co...-linkage-parts

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
‘66 Lemans, 455, KRE D-Ports, TH350, 12 bolt 3.90 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears (Traded)
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 10-24-2023, 08:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like the linkage is binding somewhere when hot? Did you grease the cross shaft? Try lubing all linkage metal to metal Parts?
Mine was link that after installing new hp clutch. Never did find and answer, ended up swapping over to Hydraulic set up. Only did this when hot,
then hotter it got the worse it would do this. Tried him joints on lower adjuster, no diff.

Old 10-24-2023, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans64 View Post
Sounds like the linkage is binding somewhere when hot? Did you grease the cross shaft? Try lubing all linkage metal to metal Parts?
Mine was link that after installing new hp clutch. Never did find and answer, ended up swapping over to Hydraulic set up. Only did this when hot,
then hotter it got the worse it would do this. Tried him joints on lower adjuster, no diff.
Interesting.................i have everything lubed beyond lubed.............clutch i have is a centerforce............new, but i had a old center force

for years before, never a issue.................will check into the rubber boot deal...............

I was wondering if i moved the springs around some, but really no place to put them.....................this is some weird stuff, went out now, about 6 hrs after driving, quite as a mouse.

Rich

Old 10-25-2023, 03:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans64 View Post
Thanks for the tip on the him joints, was thinking of trying that, was wondering if getting a new clutch fork rod would help any.............im trying to figure out what is getting too hot for this to work right.............the only things there are the fork rod and the springs holding the fork.

Grivera..................looks like i have to take the power brake booster off to even see that boot.............

So far i have if my wife holds the back of the clutch fork up some............no noise, if pushed the other way down..............i get the noise................guess i got to figure out some way to not have the fork move up and down.

Rich

Old 10-25-2023, 03:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivera View Post
That sounds like the clutch boot - it's black rubber or plastic and looks like an accordion. Sounds like it's letting air out when compressed # 1 in this diagram. https://www.chicagomusclecarparts.co...-linkage-parts
Looked at the link you sent me again..................seems im missing #25, the clutch fork boot on bellhousing..............dont know if that would be making any noise one way or the other..............

Guess i"ll try adjusting the clutch linkage again, maybe something i have wrong with that.

Rich

Old 10-25-2023, 05:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Try the easiest things first. I listened to both vids and can't tell for myself if the entire noise is coming from the outside, I'm going to assume yes?

From what I hear and the way it looks when you're working the peddle it seems to be totally linkage related and possibly due to worn bushings.

Try removing the return spring #20. Have you replaced the bushings #23 and confirmed no movement in the bellcrank other than the rotation?

The movement in the clutch fork is common, it rides on the clutch fork pivot ball. That said, you can't rule it out so you want to check everything.

Use a piece of sweeper hose as a stethoscope, have your "mechanic" work the peddle while inspecting the bellhousing and linkage related areas.

The obvious sound should lead you to the root of the problem. Keep in mind there is also a bushing on the brake and clutch pedal pivot bolt #5.

A bit odd it's quiet after cooling down. You'll figure it out, just takes patience and time, reserve that $20 for your deserving "mechanic".

Frank

Last edited by 4zpeed; 10-25-2023 at 05:26 AM.
Old 10-25-2023, 07:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtorich View Post
Looked at the link you sent me again..................seems im missing #25, the clutch fork boot on bellhousing..............dont know if that would be making any noise one way or the other..............

Guess i"ll try adjusting the clutch linkage again, maybe something i have wrong with that.

Rich
The boot I’m referring to is on the clutch rod, not the booster- my 64 has one. That being said, my response was based on the first video. After looking at your second one I retract the boot idea- sounds like something slightly binding.

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
‘66 Lemans, 455, KRE D-Ports, TH350, 12 bolt 3.90 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears (Traded)
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 10-25-2023, 08:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4zpeed View Post
Try the easiest things first. I listened to both vids and can't tell for myself if the entire noise is coming from the outside, I'm going to assume yes?

From what I hear and the way it looks when you're working the peddle it seems to be totally linkage related and possibly due to worn bushings.

Try removing the return spring #20. Have you replaced the bushings #23 and confirmed no movement in the bellcrank other than the rotation?

The movement in the clutch fork is common, it rides on the clutch fork pivot ball. That said, you can't rule it out so you want to check everything.

Use a piece of sweeper hose as a stethoscope, have your "mechanic" work the peddle while inspecting the bellhousing and linkage related areas.

The obvious sound should lead you to the root of the problem. Keep in mind there is also a bushing on the brake and clutch pedal pivot bolt #5.

A bit odd it's quiet after cooling down. You'll figure it out, just takes patience and time, reserve that $20 for your deserving "mechanic".

Frank
Thanks for that write up Frank.....................all the bushings and springs are new this year....................but i didnt replace the bushing on the brake and clutch pedal pivot bolt # 5 on the diagram.

Tried it this morning and cannot get any noise at all..............only seems to do it after a 20 minute drive or so.

Strange part yesterday when it was making the noise, if hitting the pedal fast, no noise...............noise was worse going slow on the push, regular push on the clutch pedal made some noise but not as loud as going slow.

Quess the question is what parts are getting warm to cause this...............even with the headers near by the parts dont feel warm.

Will try again this week, got the car up on the rhino ramps, will lift the back up and run the car in the garage, weather looks bad the next few days here, and i usually put it away for the winter this week anyways..............

Once again i really appreciate the help...................think i"ll take my mechanic out for din din tonight....................then get her back under the car..........lol

Rich

Old 10-25-2023, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok, for you guys that are keeping up with this a little..............so today while on the rhino"s ..............let it idle for about 15 minutes in garage, kept putting the clutch in and out.........the temp was about 172 ish......no issues...............took car out for a 20 minute run, a lot of 1st & 2nd shifts up to about 5500...........ran good...............got home and same issues, so got it back up on the rhino"s, got the stethoscope out, the only place i could hear any noise is where the rod goes into the clutch fork in the back............

If you check this after shutdown for the night..................i will make no noise, even with the stethoscope....................only when hot, which is always about 174 ish on the car.

I took some pics , but as usual my camara chip isnt showing up on the puter..................i have a spare clutch fork, and a clutch rod, cant seem to make a noise rubbing those together................the aftermarket fork i was using has two different holes to put the spring in..................i bought a stock fork where the hole is in the back by the cup, seems like the rod is moving in the cup ..............seems tight to me, hard to believe its making that noise as in my vids................but that is the only place i can hear with the stethoscope..........if it helps, the clutch fork is new, as is the rod itself..................this is getting old fast, lol

Rich

Old 10-26-2023, 06:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok, got the camara to finally work................in the pics this is the old clutch fork i used, and the spring went into the hole on its side. So all the noise is comming from the metal rod into the cap where it sits..............as said before only does it when car is driven and hot.................no noise when car is cool.

Seems hard to believe am getting all that noise from the posted vids by that metal rod.

Thinking maybe where the spring hole is in the new fork, which is supposed to be the same as stock is binding the rod inside the cup.

Guess i could try the longer rod from ames...............not sure that is gonna do anything different though.....................any thoughts on what to maybe try

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old clutch fork and stud (1).JPG
Views:	71
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	622258   Click image for larger version

Name:	Old clutch fork and stud (2).JPG
Views:	63
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	622259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Old clutch fork and stud (3).JPG
Views:	66
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	622260  

Old 10-26-2023, 06:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Are you sure the sound isn't coming from the bellhousing via the throwout bearing end of the clutch fork? This is likely the origin of the heat relation.

If the length or geometry of that after market clutch fork you're using is different, it could cause the throwout bearing to bind and grind on the shaft.

It's very unlikely that that sound is coming from the pocket end of the fork, there shouldn't be enough room or lack of pressure to allow for that noise.

I know what I'm proposing isn't good news but it's the only thing that seems to fit what you're describing. Use your stethoscope for confirmation.

After market parts suck...

Frank

Old 10-26-2023, 09:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4zpeed View Post
Are you sure the sound isn't coming from the bellhousing via the throwout bearing end of the clutch fork? This is likely the origin of the heat relation.

If the length or geometry of that after market clutch fork you're using is different, it could cause the throwout bearing to bind and grind on the shaft.

It's very unlikely that that sound is coming from the pocket end of the fork, there shouldn't be enough room or lack of pressure to allow for that noise.

I know what I'm proposing isn't good news but it's the only thing that seems to fit what you're describing. Use your stethoscope for confirmation.

After market parts suck...

Frank
Frank, sorry for the confusion................i have a new stock clutch fork in there now, the one in the picture was an aftermarket fork i had in the 4 speed for many years...................im gonna keep at it................but it looks more like next year, car is going to sleep for the winter.......................ii had that stethoscope every where on the fork and bellhousing...............weird, only noise is on the fork cup...........

Also strange, i get the noise going real slow on clutch or normal pushing.............but if going fast on the push, no noise..............guess i will have to keep at it.

Rich

Old 10-26-2023, 01:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My apologies as well Rich...

Looking back again I don't see anything that could be causing that kind of grind from heat with the exception of the throwout bearing.

Still suspicious of the "new" clutchfork at this point, it's the only thing being effected by heat, and that's through the throwout bearing.

As for the sound, think of a bad bearing, the faster it turns to some point the quieter it gets, the slower, the louder and more grinding.

You could try the rod but heat isn't a factor there, I'm still wondering if the sound is being transferred through the fork, via the bearing.

When and if you take it apart in the future, if this is the problem you should be able to see scoring on the shaft. Best of luck to you Rich.

Frank