Old 08-09-2022, 01:30 PM
Senior Chief

Default Cutting Tie Rod Ends

Hello all,

I recently purchased some new tie rod ends for my 68 Firebird. I purchased them from Global West. I also used tie rod adjusters that came with my SpeedTech control arm kit.

I removed the old tie rods and then assembled the new ones and attempted to adjust them to the same length as the old but ran out of adjustment. I'm unable to get them to shorten up to match. I'm about 1/2" too long with both ends screwed all the way into the adjuster sleeves.

I contacted both vendors and thus far SpeedTech is saying they see this fairly often and that I may need to cut down the tie-rod ends. I have not yet received a response from Global West yet.

Does this seem a little odd? The new adjusters aren't threaded all the way through. If they were, I could likely just barely achieve the desired length but there wouldn't be much if any additional adjustment. Anyone else had this experience?

Thanks

Northwind with XFlow TBI
4L80E
3.50:1 Rear
Old 08-09-2022, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had to further tap mine deeper to work. If you do cut it off, make sure you thread a nut on one end further to use as a deburr thread chaser when you take it back off after deburring end of cut. It's hell sometimes to get something started to thread after threads are rolled over or messed with.

The Following User Says Thank You to tjs72lemans For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2022, 10:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've run into this with bone stock parts, I just cut the ends, and deburr them, set the toe, and send it down the road.

There's no worries about doing the repair, or liability to worry about. It used to be there was a standard, and you wouldn't run into parts that were made sloppily, but there are no standards any longer among manufacturers.

Once in awhile you'll run into a damaged car that wasn't properly repaired from a wreck, and the frame horn will be swayed to one side, this will show up with one set of tie rods too long, and the other side with a wide gap between the ends of the tie rods. You might look at the gaps on both sets to see if the steering box, or idler arm isn't in the correct position due to collision damage.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2022, 12:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Are the adjuster sleeves stamped metal or the fancy machined ones.

I have speed tech arms but I went with Hotchkis tie rod sleeves. No issues for me. They were very nice and heavy duty.

The Following User Says Thank You to rohrt For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2022, 07:00 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks everyone,

The new adjuster sleeves are billet. They're not tapped all the way through and appears to be about 1" of un-tapped material in the middle.

Sirrotica, thanks...I was simply going to do one side at a time but maybe before jumping in and cutting them I'll make sure both ends of the drag-link are where they need to be. I've been focused on the passenger side thus far. I'll step back and take look at the whole thing first.

Thanks everyone, I've got a few more thoughts to work with.

Northwind with XFlow TBI
4L80E
3.50:1 Rear