Old 08-09-2022, 06:01 PM
Senior Chief

Default 64 Tempest value

I am looking at a 64 Tempest convertible. Has a 6 cyl/Pwr steer/ AT/ and an add on A/C unit, meaning did not come from factory that way. Paint is driver quality, top has no holes and is power top, interior is straight seat and very presentable. Good floors, quarters, and trunk. RUNS AND DRIVES fine for a 6 cylinder.

What value would you put on this car?

Old 08-09-2022, 10:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No idea what somebody would pay for it, but I like it already.

They did not make a 20 Series Tempest Convertible in '64 so it is actually a 21 Series Tempest Custom Convertible.

The 6 cyl auto trans is an air cooled unit. Some were the Buick Super Turbine but the Chevy Powerglide was installed on some in '64. A secondary trans code added at Final Assembly to the Engine Code identifies those that got the Powerglide.

The 6 cyl was basically a Chevy stovebolt but the displacement was a Pontiac exclusive. Not commonly seen even when new but makes it unique today.

What colors?

Old 08-10-2022, 11:15 AM
Senior Chief

light green white top green interior

Old 08-10-2022, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My own '64 GTO is Pinehurst Green (Paint Code J) with White Top. I think the combination looks great.

Pinehurst Green was considered a Medium Metallic Green and was a one year only color. Wonder if you are looking at the same color on that Tempest Custom?

The Lemans didn't have a Green interior choice, mine has the Black Lemans interior.

But the Tempest Custom did have a Green interior. I think that would make a great combination.

In a thread here a long time ago, I wondered if the TC Green interior used a Black steering wheel or if there really was a Green steering wheel.

What color wheel does this one have and is it the Deluxe Wheel with the horn ring that was standard in the TC (optional in a Tempest).

Old 08-10-2022, 09:22 PM
Senior Chief

Has a green steering wheel with horn button.

Old 08-11-2022, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Any chance you can get the Trim code off the Data Plate? May as well check the Paint code too if you can.

According to the 1964 Tempest Inspectors Guide revised as of Dec, 1963, there were only 3 Trim colors available for the Tempest Custom convertible.

And the Standard Release steering wheel for the 21 Series TC was the Deluxe wheel that included the Horn Ring. Only the 20 Series Tempest should have gotten the Standard wheel that used the center horn cap.

No green trim listed in the Inspectors Guide. There was an Aqua trim and it used the Carib Aqua color Deluxe Steering Wheel.

I haven't seen very many Tempest Custom interiors and even fewer, if any, TC convertible interiors.

I do not know if the Aqua trim would be described as Green so I'm really curious to know what the code shows. And it seems pretty odd that it would have a Standard wheel with horn cap. The Deluxe wheel was one of but a few features that justified the higher Base price for a TC versus the Tempest.

Could be a Green trim was released after Dec '63, the Trim code would establish that.

Since the convertible wasn't offered in the Tempest series, it is only for the body styles that were offered in both that the Base price differential can be seen but it would be odd if the TC convertible was "decontented" by the deletion of the Deluxe steering wheel vs. the other TC body styles since it was the most expensive Body Style.

Old 08-14-2022, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Would need pictures (at least one) to take a shot at value.