Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 10-13-2019, 02:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Looking at a '73 Scout II.

Was at a car show this morning- talking to the owner of an absolutely immaculate International Scout. In the course of conversation he mentions that he's got a '73 Scout II that he's going to put up for sale soon. So of course, me being the glutton for punishment that I am, I ask him about it. Looks pretty decent in the pictures, especially for the price. I don't know a whole lot about them, other than they rust pretty good. This one looks pretty solid, owner says that rust does exist, but not too bad. I'm not expecting perfect at the price point we're at. Also, it's got a plow, the only way I can justify buying it. If it were too nice I wouldn't feel good about taking it out in the snow.

Any specific spots to look at, or common mechanical issues? It's a 6 cylinder, 3 speed, 4 wd.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9ABA36BB-4271-427C-AC6E-BD0935248F8F.jpeg
Views:	212
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	522067  

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw

Last edited by goatless; 10-13-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Any external body rust you will probably pick up on pretty easily. That's not so bad. The worst example I've seen had severe rust on the inner rockers and floor pan supports/cross members. So much that the body sagged at the mounts. I told the owner if he ran into anything, the body would probably shear off of the chassis and the steering wheel would take him out..

Old 10-13-2019, 04:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I love them Scouts but, I bought a new one in 74 & that SOB rusted faster than any Mopar around. YMMV
Look it over good. Body braces, floor and rockers in particular. Around here, it’s hard to find one with anything left below the door handled.

Good luck!
Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 10-13-2019, 05:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Worked at an IH, Datsun, Honda Motorcycle dealership in the late 1970's. What a combination? Anyway, the Scouts, Pick-ups, Travellalls and such had few hard mechanical problems. It's all simple, well tested, heavy iron stuff. Body integrity, fit and finish, body hardware and interior stuff was beyond terrible. That's the only stuff we typically had to deal with. They would be rusted all the way through in 2-3 years. Just incredible. We had a 2WD, 4-cyl Scout that sat on the new car lot for a year and a half. Powder blue, dark blue vinyl interior. It literally rusted out sitting on the lot un-sold. Door hinges were so rusty, when it was finally sold, had to go through the body shop for paint and body rust repair before delivery. So rust would be the only serious issue on a 45 year old one. Looks nice in the pic. Check all the boxed-in areas carefully.

Last edited by mgarblik; 10-13-2019 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

A good friend of mine bought a 72 IH pickup 3/4 ton 2WD, circa 1980. We have been friends since 1976, was in he and his wifes weding, Feb 1978, and YES they are still married.
What was left of this beast of a pickup, was a little rough. It has the traditional 345 (2 Bbl) and the grandma 4 speed, that's all...no PS, PB, AC, and the sucky front drum brakes.

It has had a Ford 429/C6 since 1986, has had AC on and off (working on it sometimes the AC had to be disconnected.) Has a hybrid front disc brake setup (Chevrolet c20 rotors on his stock IH spindles) C-20 calipers. He also added PS, PB.

Saying all this, rust was an issue, He has made repairs, some still to make. IF, IF, they could have prevented the rust, these pickups/Scouts are very well make vehicles. The first time I shut one of the doors, I thought my ears wear deceiving me. THey sound closed to a vault closing the any car or pickup I had ever heard. It's a shame they quit making these!!!
He has a custom grill and headlights in it, with a small air dam in front. Nobody knows what it is. He gets compliments any time he drives it anywhere, thaen they ask what it is/// LOL It has a flat black paint job that is fading fast.
I can't find any pictures of it...dang

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 10-13-2019, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rust. I think Fiat stole the patent from IH.
Mechanically, they are sturdy. The 6 is the AMC six so it is a better road engine than the school bus engines they normally used. Might do 18-20 MPG?
And they have exploded in value the last 5 years with cheap gas...One that is road worthy starts at about 8 grand. The 1/2 cab is desirable.
And don't even think about driving it in the winter!

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 10-13-2019, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rust issues aside they’re mechanically bulletproof. Doors like to sag and the door hardware is poorly made. They ride rough and are stiffly sprung. The AMC 6 is a good engine and much better at pulling one than the slant 196 4 cylinder (1/2 of a 392 V8)
Friend of mine I graduated high school with invited me up to his home in Wyoming in 1997.
He had several Scouts and he took my then new wife and I in one to some really remote badlands and it was unstoppable.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I always like the scout and I had a rusted out one with a 345 for a short time.
I was riding coast to coast on my Harley back in 2001 and I came across one in mint shape for sale near Boise Idaho.
Still wish I bought it!
FF to a few years ago I bought a 65' Corvair Corsa Turbo car, burnt out factory paint hardly any rust from same area.
Like the Blazer the scouts rust out bad were the front & rear floors meet.