Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 01-21-2017, 11:34 AM

Default Garage/Shop floor coatings

So, I'm to the point where I'm ready to apply a coating to my new shop floor in advance of ordering my lift (yay!).

Has anyone here used coating products from these guys?

http://discountindustrialcoatings.com/index.html

and if so, how are they working out for you in terms of age, durability, chemical resistance, etc?

I talked with them on the phone and was impressed with their willingness to explain the details of how their products work, how to prep for them, how to apply them, etc.

Thanks,
Bear

Old 01-21-2017, 06:37 PM
Senior Chief

wow, I'm about a month behind you and was searching the same info. Check this link out. I joined, some interesting stuff this forum

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/

Old 10-24-2019, 07:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by beargfr View Post
So, I'm to the point where I'm ready to apply a coating to my new shop floor in advance of ordering my lift (yay!).

Has anyone here used coating products from these guys?

http://discountindustrialcoatings.com/index.html

and if so, how are they working out for you in terms of age, durability, chemical resistance, etc?

I talked with them on the phone and was impressed with their willingness to explain the details of how their products work, how to prep for them, how to apply them, etc.

Thanks,
Bear
Did you end up using this coating? If so, how did it work out?

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 10-24-2019, 07:46 AM

Yes, I did. My bride and I applied it ourselves and the results are good. There are some places where we didn't get it on thick enough (the vendor did caution me about that) and it's beginning to show some wear, but overall I'm happy with the result. Having the benefit of experience now, there indeed is a temptation to treat it like a coat of paint and spread it too thin. Don't hesitate to really slather it on. Once the hardener kicks and it cures out, the stuff is super tough. I've spilled all kinds of stuff on it, including oil and lacquer thinner, and it just wipes up. About the only thing that will damage it is welding slag. I have a big sheet of plywood that I made an edge border around with 1x2 to keep spatter from rolling off that I put under where I'm welding now, and that works great.

Old 10-24-2019, 08:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Coating concrete is tricky. I used to build firehouses and every one had epoxy floors of some description. And every one failed in some way. All were installed by professionals. Like any 'paint job' preparation is the key. Shot blasting is the best way to go. I would be curious to see how it holds up in the long run. I have been tempted to do my garage but everytime I am about ready to do so I remind myself of the long term result. Years ago Pop simply cleaned his garage floor and put a grey porch paint on. He put runners down for the car tires and 15 yrs later it still looks pretty good. It would be super easy to throw down another coat on top at this point to dress it up. I am thinking about going this way with my garage.

Old 10-24-2019, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I also went with the basic garage floor paint ... similar if not the same as porch paint. My logic is .... at some point it IS going to need to be replaced, and it will be a lot easier to replace/re-do if it's paint. Run a floor sander over it ... repaint.

I think a LOT depends on how the shop is used. Mine is a fabrication shop that see a lot of welding, heavy metal items dropped and dragging across the floor and general neglect and abuse. So it will start to fail no matter what it's made of ... I'd rather have it easier and cheaper to re-do. Paint actually holds up for about ten years, and I've actually redone it in sections before.

Kind of the same way I look at powdercoat .. last longer, looks better, but when it needs to repaired or replaced ... it's a total pain in the butt. I'd rather have paint that I can sand a bit and repair.

Old 10-24-2019, 02:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine is a bit more complicated...

1200 sf and I put a sealer on it so it wouldn't absorb oil...well it doesn't work and I have to grind it if I use any type of coating on it.

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 10-24-2019, 03:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Brake cleaner is pretty good at drawing out oil. Might have to be applied, wiped ... then wait for more to come up, then do a gain a couple of times. I've had some areas I've done that ended up white, dry concrete again.

Old 10-24-2019, 04:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Brake cleaner is pretty good at drawing out oil. Might have to be applied, wiped ... then wait for more to come up, then do a gain a couple of times. I've had some areas I've done that ended up white, dry concrete again.
That's good to know. I will give that a try. I also used some stuff I got at auto zone awhile ago that was supposed to bring the oil stains out of concrete. I worked pretty good but needed a few treatments.

Old 10-25-2019, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just installed the Rustoleum epoxy product from Home Depot. It goes on easy and gives great results. However, the coverage advertised is more than the coverage I got. I have used this product numerous times in the past. I installed it on my old home garage floor and other than what has been stated (weld slag) it holds up extremely well. My floor was 9 years old when I sold the home and it still looked great.