Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 240V Propane Inverter Generator for a reasonable price?

I have a couple old style Gas Generators that work OK, but suck up fuel.

I would like to have an Inverter that does not waste so much fuel and would like to use Propane to avoid issues with gas going bad, gumming up carb etc.

Well pump is 240V so would like to it to be 240V capable.

Have seen lots of lower cost 120V Gas Inverter Generators, but few that run on propane and very few that are 240V capable.

Anyone know of any reasonably priced 240V Inverter Generators that will run on propane.

Any (reasonably cheap)way to wire 2 smaller generators to get 240V.

Links appreciated.

Thanks, Joel

Old 05-13-2017, 09:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You can't wire up two together because they won't be in sync. Sounds like this is for back up for when your power goes out. What about putting a separate 120v pump in the well for just emergency use?

Old 05-13-2017, 03:39 PM

Have you searched for dual fuel gens? Shouldn't be too hard to find one that also supports 240V, I've seen them at HD and the like. Now how long the brand will last I don't know, so any help on brands to look for would be appreciated.

I've been looking at dual fuels myself due to crappy ethanol gas I'd like to avoid.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the replies.

I don't think 2 pumps would fit into my well. Can one be rigged to pull/push through the other.

Lots of dual fuels out there, but the vast majority are not inverters and the inverters are MUCH more fuel efficient when run at less than full load.

Old 05-14-2017, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've looked around for larger inverters. Only thing close to reasonable I could find were the 7000 watt. Hondas .... still not cheap by any means ($4,500). I have a little 2000w Honda inverter ... great little generator.

I have the same issue, I can run pretty much the whole house if need be on 2000w but I need 220-240 for the well.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bringing this topic back up. I still would like to find one.

Last edited by Joel Koontz; 01-27-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:44 PM
Senior Chief

Do you want portability or backup power for your home? For backup power, I have been eyeballing one of these generators from Generac. LP consumption is 1-2 gallons per hour.

https://www.generatorfactoryoutlet.c...D_BwE#features

Old 01-27-2019, 01:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Much easier to change the well pump to 120 V pump and quit worrying about having to have 220 V just to run one item. When I built my house in Erie I needed a pump ASAP and they only had 120 V in stock at the time so I went with the 120 V.

I lived in that house for 10 years and had no problem using the 120 V pump. Granted I might have lost a small bit of efficiency at the meter box, but the guy that sold it to me told me the only difference was the motor on the 120 V was a little bit different and they sold 120 V pumps all the time, he said no difference in the longevity of the 120 V vs the 220 V.

One other point with 120 V is, if the power run is less than 100 ft you can use the standard wiring. If your power run is more than 100 ft you may have to upsize the wiring size due to increased amperage draw. Starting current is 1000 watts for 1/4 second from what I could find. Other than that it's pretty straight forward.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 01-27-2019, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=ID67goat;5985210]Do you want portability or backup power for your home? For backup power, I have been eyeballing one of these generators from Generac. LP consumption is 1-2 gallons per hour.

Yes. ***** Ideally I would like backup power AND portability. ***** Two properties about 1.5 miles apart.

Although that Generac model is fairly fuel efficient, an inverter would be even more efficient and cleaner power.

Sirottica, I might consider the 120V pump, but I would need two of them and from what I understand(I am NOT an electrical expert) a 120V pump would require LARGER wiring than a 240V pump and replacing the wiring would require a LOT of effort.

240V is also easier to connect to the house/shop as it would allow me to run ALL circuits in the house/shop, not just a select few.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In many cases well pumps are 240v for the simple reason that the wiring runs are so long. My main well is 400 feet deep, I'd need giant wiring if it was 120v. My secondary well is about 500' from the power supply ... so same thing, would require lots of large and expensive copper cable.

Not to mention the efficiency losses running 120v for long distances.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In NW Pa the wells are 50 ft deep, (mine was 42) usually no more than 75 feet,
and my well was right next to the garage, easily less than 100 ft worked flawlessly for me.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 01-27-2019, 07:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

50 feet may be the norm is some parts of PA, but not in the part(SW) that I am in. One of my wells is approx. 100 feet deep. The other is over 220 feet deep. I have a neighbor who's well is 800 feet deep.

I agree that a 120V pump would be a much more viable option with a 50 well that is close to the power source.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No real norm for wells anywhere in the North east, my neighbor is at 90 feet, and I'm 400, and I have a cistern well that is only 20 (but is 500' from the power).

A lot can also depend on type of well, type of pump. 220v submersibles can be made smaller and still have the same power ... so they can fit down deeper, narrower well shafts. Jet pumps and the like are easier to make 120v as they usually are lower in power and size isn't a consideration.

Wish I had a 120v pump, would make life a lot easier, but just not feasible in my case. Although I do enjoy the 10,000 year old water coming out of 400' of granite.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

With a 120 V generator you will only be able to power up one side of your breaker/fuse panel.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
Old 10-05-2019, 12:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm still looking.

I have seen quite a few new generator models recently, but still not exactly what I am hoping to find.

Old 10-05-2019, 02:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I saw this one on Amazon:

Honda Eu7000iat1 7,000 Watt Super Quiet Portable Inverter Generator with Electric Start

Specs and reviews read very good.
Like you I have a 240 volt well pump.
With it being really quiet compared to most generators I have, would be good to 'not hear'.

Price though is probably high, especially compared to the regular generators. (could buy 2 to 4 at that price)

But with most of the electrical use not much except when AC or well pump turns on don't need to listen to the other generators run all day at full throttle.

They also had the Yamaha but seemed the newer one is not available yet?

Old model:

Yamaha EF6300iSDE 6,300-Watt 120/240-Volt 357cc Dual -Voltoltage inverter Generator

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 10-05-2019, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry for my post above.
I was looking for propane and gas and somehow got off-track.
Those I posted are gasoline only I believe. Someone in the reviews (I think) had a place convert theirs to propane. The one is fuel injected so should be easier to convert to propane probably?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 10-05-2019, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
Sorry for my post above.
I was looking for propane and gas and somehow got off-track.
Those I posted are gasoline only I believe. Someone in the reviews (I think) had a place convert theirs to propane. The one is fuel injected so should be easier to convert to propane probably?

No problem. MANY people think the Honda Inverters are the best of the best, but I am too cheap to buy one.

There is a Briggs & Stratton 240V Inverter that came out fairly recently that is way less expensive, but it is gas only and I really would prefer to buy one that is Dual Fuel instead of converting.

My guess is that in 5 years, 240V Dual Fuel Inverter Generators will be common. I don't understand why they are not common NOW.