Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 10-01-2019, 01:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1998 Dodge ram 3500 V-10

My neighbor has a Dodge 3500 V-10 that got overheated that I'm going to have to tear into. Anyone have any idea what I should pay particular attention to? I've been trying to avoid this job but got roped into it.
Be thankful for anything that anyone can give me a heads up on. Thanks in advance.

A poor man has poor ways.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.W.Dille View Post
My neighbor has a Dodge 3500 V-10 that got overheated that I'm going to have to tear into. Anyone have any idea what I should pay particular attention to? I've been trying to avoid this job but got roped into it.
Be thankful for anything that anyone can give me a heads up on. Thanks in advance.
Seems the intakes on those magnums (the V10 is based on the magnum) tend to leak coolant in the lifter valley, if that’s what caused it to overheat it might look pretty ugly on the inside.
Also working on a V10 to me a pain in the ass physically as there’s more bolts to remove and lifting the heads is a back breaker especially since you have to reach far in the engine bay at an awkward angle; be careful with your back !

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks. I don't know all the specific details of what caused the overheating but apparently it was low on coolant but now (from what I've been told) if you pour water in the radiator it runs right on out of the tailpipe.
If I can get it close enough to the one garage door I was going to try to use my cherry picker to lift the heads off.
I figured the intake might give me issues but wasn't sure how much.

A poor man has poor ways.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would do some additional testing before I removed the heads. How many miles are on it? If it has high mileage and it was severely overheated, there is a good chance the block and lower components have damage as well. At the very least the piston rings will be relaxed and lost their radial tension. Then once the nice rebuilt heads are bolted on, it will consume oil. It's a bit of a gamble. I generally, do a used engine replacement on a vehicle of that vintage vs a head R+R. But if it's 4wd, that's a big job. I did a quick check on car-part.com for a complete replacement engine. Looks like an engine with right at 100K miles will run $1000.00-1300.00. I don't think you can refurbish the heads and get them back on for that amount if you use good gaskets and parts. Pretty sure the head bolts are one time use, so a few hundred bucks for bolts. As mentioned, heads are heavy and long. I have had a few Viper heads off and on but there is lots of room to work on them. Trucks are tight. Something to consider anyway. Good luck.