Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 10-10-2019, 02:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 1990 F150 wipers start and stop?

I'm having trouble with the windshield wipers on my 1990 Ford F150. When I turn them on Lo or High, they work fine for the first 10 to 15 minutes. However, after that they begin giving me trouble. They will go 5 or 10 wipes, then pause for a second or two, and repeat. If I leave them on intermittent, they seem to work properly.
I really don't know a good way to check this out since it only happens after they have run for a while and I'd prefer not to check things while standing in the rain, lol.

Just wondering if anybody has any insight?
Only using my truck on short trips or clear days is getting to be a pain.

Thanks

Old 10-10-2019, 08:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Most likely the circuit board if it has one. When the one on my 94 C3500 went bad the wipers worked when they wanted to.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 10-10-2019, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Your wiper switch; Ford trucks are notorious for that and the headlight switches acting goofy in those years.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well, after an hour and a half of searching online I think I found the culprit(causes the same symptoms anyway). Apparently there is a wiper module under the dash. Hopefully I'll get the chance to pull that down and check tomorrow. Apparently, it makes a clicking sound when it malfunctions.
Thank you SRR for pointing me in that direction.

455Grandville I hope it turns out to only be the switch. That dumb module is $75 and up for a used one because they don't make replacements.