THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-21-2019, 10:25 AM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two_70_Converts View Post
"Relax, you'll be dead before this country is totally fkd"

and I thought I was the only one thinking this.

Quite common, actually.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 11-21-2019, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

And I imagine my great-grandfather was saying that.

I can remember the 50's, the 60's, the 70's, the 80's, the 90's, the turn of the century especially, the 2010's, soon to be the 2020's!

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 11-21-2019, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
People suck !
^^^TRUTH^^^

DOGSTTF!!!

Old 11-21-2019, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Chances are your parents complained about your generation, and their parents complained about theirs. It's been going on for millennia.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 12:06 PM
Senior Chief

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Chances are your parents complained about your generation, and their parents complained about theirs. It's been going on for millennia.

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

Plato (attributed.) (c. 428 BC–c. 348 BC)

The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Dillon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm a townie, ancient subdivision with alleys behind the lots. Anything under $100 value that I can't find home for, I just stick out there. Usually gone in 2 hour max. Poof. Outta my hair.

Old 11-21-2019, 12:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

this thread continues to amuse me.

I expect people to haggle, and feel like they're getting a deal, so generally, if I'm selling something I pad the price, and ignore low ballers.
Furniture can be a royal PITA to sell or even give away;
My wife seems to have luck selling on facebook marketplace over the more conventional means that I tend to use.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 11-21-2019, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I lived in the city, we would put stuff out in the alley. If it didn't go we would put a price on it....Bam! it would disappear!

George

Old 11-21-2019, 02:46 PM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
I'm a townie, ancient subdivision with alleys behind the lots. Anything under $100 value that I can't find home for, I just stick out there. Usually gone in 2 hour max. Poof. Outta my hair.

Same here. If you really want it to be gone fast, put a sign on it that says $10. It'll be gone before you close the door.

Old 11-21-2019, 02:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Some years back, I was having a bunch of work done at my house and had a variety of workers out, (framers, roofers, drywall hangers, etc.)

After all the work was done, I found an old extension ladder on the side of my house. I was going on the roof for something, and leaned it up, but decided it was way too rickety to use and thought "those lazy asses just left their trash here." I dragged it out to the curb for garbage collection.

Nine months (!!) later, one of the guys called me and said "I'm going to be by tomorrow to pick up my ladder," then he got mad when I told him "what ladder?"

There are just so many wrong things about that whole thing.

A few years earlier, at a different house, we had bought a clothes dryer and my wife wouldn't let me throw away the old '60's era one: "one of my friends might want it." (Translation - it'll sit in our yard until I throw it away in 5 years.) I wheeled it to the side yard, and it was stolen by the junk man less than an hour later. I think I did a good job of feigning anger.

Old 11-21-2019, 03:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
I live in the inner city, my neighborhood was built 100+ years ago. There are scrappers making the rounds daily, so it's a handy way to get rid of stuff. Conversely, it can also be a good way to acquire things. My brother has a retirement hobby of restoring and reselling mid century modern furniture; I recently snagged him a nice mahogany dresser someone put out in the alley.

Old 11-21-2019, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
Same here. If you really want it to be gone fast, put a sign on it that says $10. It'll be gone before you close the door.
My luck the whackos be bangin' on the door wanting to argue over five bucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I live in the inner city, my neighborhood was built 100+ years ago. There are scrappers making the rounds daily, so it's a handy way to get rid of stuff. Conversely, it can also be a good way to acquire things. My brother has a retirement hobby of restoring and reselling mid century modern furniture; I recently snagged him a nice mahogany dresser someone put out in the alley.
I figure if scrappers, or someone low on bucks takes it, my way of charity. If a doper takes it, one less thing they steal, if some woman who paints old sheet that milky white takes it, cool. Hopefully it spins into some good though. But if some millionaire from up the ski mountain is trolling my hood in their Lexus, I may rethink this

Old 11-22-2019, 01:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

yeah, getting rid of stuff I dont' want any more isn't that difficult. As others have said, put it out on the curb and it usually disappears pretty quick. Small stuff like clothes and other items that may be worth something to someone I just drop off at the local Goodwill. I'm always amused by the people who hate on Goodwill for being a for-profit corporation. Heck, the founder of that company found a way to take stuff that some people don't want and would otherwise just throw away and sell it for a profit to other people who find it useful. Along the way he's created a business that employs thousands of people, many of them immigrants who might not be able to find other kinds of work, and kept a lot of stuff out of landfills. I have no problem dropping off a bag of old clothes and misc. household items that I don't want any more there rather than throwing them away. On the other end of the cycle I've found work clothes and some nice kitchen items there (quality Santoku knife and stainless skillet) for a lot cheaper than new.

What I haven't been able to get rid of is an old built-in microwave and built-in oven that don't work. County wants quite a bit of money to take them at the dump and they're too big for garbage pickup.

Old 11-22-2019, 02:48 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Even the old-car enthusiasts have some irritating individuals. A few years ago I had this '64 Ranchero for sale. I spent more than an hour with a guy who seemed quite knowledgeable and serious about buying it- crawled all around and under it, went for a lengthy ride and test drive. I was asking $4,000 and he offered $1,800 "but could go as high as $2,000! I said nothing- just left him standing alone in the yard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64_ranchero.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	525090  

Old 11-22-2019, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

(lightly edited for quoting purposes)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gifford View Post
Even the old-car enthusiasts have some irritating individuals. A few years ago I had this '64 Ranchero for sale;

I spent more than an hour with a guy who seemed quite knowledgeable and serious about buying it- crawled all around and under it, went for a lengthy ride and test drive. I was asking $4,000 and he offered $1,800 "but could go as high as $2,000!
I said nothing- just left him standing alone in the yard.
Seriously?

low-balled you at less than 1/2 of your asking price?

Sheesh, I'm not a Ford, or a Rachero guy, but i'd think that should be worth a fair share more than $4k!?!

What a jerk.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 11-22-2019, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
(lightly edited for quoting purposes)

Seriously?

low-balled you at less than 1/2 of your asking price?

Sheesh, I'm not a Ford, or a Rachero guy, but i'd think that should be worth a fair share more than $4k!?!

What a jerk.
I agree. I hope it was more than a few years ago - that sounds super cheap.

As for the time-waster: If people don't even value their own time, why would they value yours?

Old 11-22-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtohunter View Post
Had a prof. auctioneer come in and they pretty much swindled the Mother in law, sold a lot for scrap price, as he brought the bidders with him and they had a game plan! For instance, a 10" ID/OD grinder and a couple dozen wheels went for $47 !!
The auctioneer who sold my dad's stuff in 2013 had his guys unbolting fixtures from the inside of an old hardware store that was built in the 1890s or early 1900s and that my grandfather bought in the 1940's or 50's. It was moved to my parents' acreage after it was closed- small town casualty to Menards/Home Depot/Lowe's etc. It would have cost as much to tear it down and haul it as it cost to move it. So we moved it in '95.

The 7acre property with the house, 2 garages and the hardware store was sold, except for contents. The auction guys were taking cast iron shelf brackets and v-belt hangers off the walls. I flipped out on them. Kind of made a scene but for Christ's sake, they knew full well the only stuff to be sold was what was On the shelves, in the drawers, unattached cabinets and work benches, etc. The store still had the ladder that rolled end to end along one wall with the trolley rail the the ceiling. Suckers even sold the front screen doors off the building. It was a big sale and lots going on... too much for my mother and me to watch it all.

A few weeks ago I posted on another forum a WIW on a 1970 heavy-duty wheel. Would have come on 1970 high performance mopars or maybe a c-body or van/truck. Anyway, good date codes with and H stamp near the hub and a nice true wheel with no curb rash. I was advised $50 wheel all day long and 'they're all over the junk yards if you know where to look'. Well.. I've been looking for almost 20 years and H-stamped wheels are a rare breed. I said I'd keep it and use if for a spare tire. A week later a PM comes through with an offer where I figured it should be. $150 plus $28 bucks UPS from IA to WI. Also got a few miscellaneous screws I was needing from the buyer.

Old 11-22-2019, 03:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Last year, my wife's nephew was selling a 1990 Cadillac he bought from my mom several years ago. 75,000 original, nice clean car, etc. Advertised it online a few places.
One guy calls him, and dead serious, tells her nephew that since he is selling the Cadillac, it means he doesn't need it or want it anymore. And since this guy needed a car, her nephew should just give this guy the Caddy! Guy called and talked several times, couldn't figure out why he couldn't have the car for free.

Old 11-23-2019, 02:42 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
... couldn't figure out why he couldn't have the car for free...
Wow!

Old 11-24-2019, 01:25 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
... I hope it was more than a few years ago - that sounds super cheap...
That was 2013. I don't think the value of a '64 changed very much in the last six years.
P.S- The guy who DID buy it was just the opposite- happy as heck to get it for $4,000. He has enjoyed driving it to the Syracuse Nationals a couple of years.