THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thinking of Steve off and on all day. He is one of the strongest people I have ever come across. I did chemo off and on for five years. But I was not terminal and it was nothing like his, and he had radiation also. I could not do what he did. There is a point of running and hiding for me. Not for Steve! I remember I mentioned to Steve in a post about pot helping my chemo effects. He got kinda angry about the subject, he passionately disapproved, didn't say why. For some reason that really endeared him to me, as I dig people with passion. A great man. Great.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Once in a while Steve and I would P.M. each other and he would share things that he was dealing with. And before I go further I will say this much, I know that P.M. means private message and I always respect that. I think you guys will agree that Steve is not so big on personal privacy and has shared things with us that few of us would dare throw out here.
So with that said...........
I was looking at some of those P.M.s I still have from last year, and I can say that, from his own words, Steve has endured because of the love he has for his family. Just as it would be for most of us, that has been his motivation to go forward every single day. I believe that he wants to live more for them than himself. He spoke of his death and what he wanted it to be like.
The rest is just my opinion.
I don't think Steve fears death, but he doesn't want to die.
I'm sure lots of you have noticed how in recent weeks he recently became such a vocal presence on here again. He also started lots of small garage projects (his videos) and worked gathering info for a website he wants to update. I think he started putting small goals out there for him to keep reaching for, to keep going forward with things he enjoyed that would distract him from the reality.
Steve has my utmost respect for staying close with family and friends at a time when very many would give up and hide, like Anthony mentioned above. That would be the easy way for lots of us. Steve has put his intimate health and life experiences out there for discussion with a great attitude about his mortality.
I think all of us have benefited from that.
Godspeed, Herr Hoog.
Steve

Old 06-11-2015, 12:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I want to personally thank everyone for all their comments and I know steve would appreciate them also. like everyone mentions, he is a fighter to the end and given hours to live on Monday, he is still alive. however he is medically asleep and this afternoon his breathing is becoming more difficult. short of god sending a miracle I am afraid the end is nearing anytime.

ALVIN, I got your message sorry I missed your call I was really tired Monday night and made the post and fell asleep with my computer on. thanks for the kind words.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_collector View Post
I want to personally thank everyone for all their comments and I know steve would appreciate them also. like everyone mentions, he is a fighter to the end and given hours to live on Monday, he is still alive. however he is medically asleep and this afternoon his breathing is becoming more difficult. short of god sending a miracle I am afraid the end is nearing anytime.

ALVIN, I got your message sorry I missed your call I was really tired Monday night and made the post and fell asleep with my computer on. thanks for the kind words.
Thanks for keeping us updated, Gary. You're a good man.

How are his wife and children holding up? I'm praying for them as much as Steve.

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 06-11-2015, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Although I don't know Steve he has been on my mind, and in my prayers last couple days.
I had my Father in Law live his last 9 months in my house so it is a very hard situation for the Family to deal with. I think they need our prayers more than Steve. My woman had to do things for her Dad I never thought would have been possibly.
Family steps up at these times and from the posts I've read his Family & Friends are some gracious & courageous people.
God Speed Steve..........

Old 06-11-2015, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You are absolutely right.
My wife was caregiver to her father for his last 6 months and there are things she did for him that she can't talk about 12 years later.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
You are absolutely right.
My wife was caregiver to her father for his last 6 months and there are things she did for him that she can't talk about 12 years later.
My wife went through the same thing just last year. Before that, my mother went through it with her husband...for 4 years! She was in her mid to late 70s at the time and it almost killed her.

Didn't mean to stray off subject but these situations make you think about your own mortality.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
My wife went through the same thing just last year. Before that, my mother went through it with her husband...for 4 years! She was in her mid to late 70s at the time and it almost killed her.

Didn't mean to stray off subject but these situations make you think about your own mortality.
Melanoma slowly took my father in law a few years ago. He passed at home (four houses up the street from us) and I can tell you that the whole process took a lot out of the whole family. And being able to help we'd have had it no other way. My wife was standing on her fathers front porch talking to our churches youth pastor when she decided she needed to go in and check on "Papa". He had passed on.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My mom took care of my stepdad until his last day. Stomach and liver cancer. Once they stopped chemo it wasn't long.... from November until the first week in May. In the end he just quit eating as he couldn't keep anything down long enough to do any good.

Not to endure or prolong his agony, but I hope he awakens on last time for his family to say at least say good bye.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.

Last edited by GT182; 06-11-2015 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just turned my computer on for the first time since Monday. My wife took me to the ER Monday night with a high fever and other symptoms that led to a bacterial infection diagnosis that will only respond to IV antibiotics. When I found out that I would be here until Friday at the least I asked her to bring me my laptop so I could catch up with what is going on here at PY.
I was truly saddened to read about Steve but it made my problem seem trivial and made me realize that I had it pretty good. I have always used Steve's courage to bolster my own when I have been down. I thank him for that and hope to meet him one day when we can set down and talk about the good stuff. God speed Steve. And prayers sent for his family.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb Some become pearls

Life ...

Most of us live as oysters - while some become pearls ...

Steve showed that the gritty elements of Life can be turned into a Pearl

Thank you Steve

Jim

Old 06-11-2015, 11:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You guys have worded it all so well about Steve Hoog.
Wish he could read it himself.

He and I are the same age and mostly the same style backgrounds.
At first his illness shocked me hard and scared me into too much realization.
Way on out past my comfort zone.

Had some tough roads myself not long ago.
Hoog has absolutely no idea that his strengths in his battles are really one of the things on the short list that kept mine In-Check.
I'll remember him as one of the toughest MoFo's ever from our age group.

Only knew him via PY / Interweb , and we hit it off as good www . friends .
My heart felt sorrow fully extended to Gary Daniels/muscle_collector, and all of Steve's family.
And everyone on here that felt a kinship to Steve.

This is a picture from Steve's younger days (mid 20's), doing a Roger DeCoster pose.
You almost have to be Bionic to handle a 500cc 2-Stroke Suzuki Dirt Bike.
Its grabbing the bull by the horns, only it goes faster.
lol - they be a Whole Lotta Rosie

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Steve Hoog RM 500 in late 80s.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	400232  

Old 06-12-2015, 12:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

thanks well said bvz

now where did you get that picture of steve?

as for steve, today he rested very peaceful, his breathing was easy. his vital signs were all great.
so I said " I got to ask a dumb, well maybe a hopeful question. is there any chance that he could actually wake up and come out of this since his vitals are so good and back to breathing normally?" the reply was none

Old 06-12-2015, 12:39 AM
Suspended

Quote:
No worries...hard to believe it's Thursday eve already too! Hang in there.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Can't even remember if he emailed it to me after some dirt bike talking, or if he posted it on here somewhere.

I've been riding since 7 and still do, and i know from other posts you started young too. But I admit that I have never thought of the 500cc 2-Strokes as "fun" bikes. lol
He must have won that race flag to flag, doesn't look like he was ever behind anybody judging by only having dust stains around the goggle area on his face.

I would have asked the exact same hopeful question about his present condition.
So sorry man

Steve was a real Silver Dollar
Worth much more than just face value.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Gary, Thanks much for all of the updates and we will all continue to pray and hope for the best.
Unfortunately, I have been through this more times than I care to think about with some very close friends and family. Many times there is a significant rebound before a decline. Steve is a fighter like my sister-in-law was. She was given 6 months and fought stage IV pancreatic cancer for 4 years. It is heart wrenching to watch what they go through but at least it gives everyone an opportunity to say goodbye. This is a gift for the people around these fighters but an absolute living hell for them. If anyone can snap back it would be someone like Steve however, they deserve peace with the lord at the end of the battle. I wish Steve, his family, and friends the best!
I also admire the memories that he has created on you tube for those same friends and family to cherish forever.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
thanks well said bvz

as for steve, today he rested very peaceful, his breathing was easy. his vital signs were all great.
so I said " I got to ask a dumb, well maybe a hopeful question. is there any chance that he could actually wake up and come out of this since his vitals are so good and back to breathing normally?" the reply was none
Doctors are great and wonderful blessings from God, not to be ignored. Miracles happen every day. I'll continue to pray for God's miraculous powerful hand of healing upon Steve. Anything is possible, Jesus told us to Believe!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 06-12-2015, 11:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
thanks well said bvz

I asked the same question regarding my son. How can someone look good and be dying. This thread opens some troubling memories. At this time think of Steve's family and friends. He is in peace with Creator. They are in pain. I hope they talk to him. So much research confirming coma patients can sometimes hear. Nurses talk to them as they can. I had a spiritual experience with my son where he communicated through his hand with a low voltage, I and another both felt it. he reached out while in a coma. The inexplicable, except our spirit transcends this body. I believe as energy can not be killed, only mutated into other forms, so our spirits are, as they also are energy. There are dimensions beyond all this. Ride on Steve.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trulyvintage View Post
Life ...

Most of us live as oysters - while some become pearls ...

Steve showed that the gritty elements of Life can be turned into a Pearl

Thank you Steve

Jim
Very well put, Jim.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
You guys have worded it all so well about Steve Hoog.
Wish he could read it himself.
Oh, he knows Todd - he knows! God sees to that . . .