THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-02-2022, 04:06 PM

I live in the Kc Mo area and the are opening a new Wing Stop Restaurant in a nicer strip mall. My wife and I wondered what was the hold up on the opening the manager said they get enough people to run it. I wonder what kind of a worm hole has society fallen through? People not wanting to work a weed store on every corner it is all very strange to me. Brian

The Following User Says Thank You to 455abody For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2022, 07:23 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta6point6 View Post
Back to topic how many people who will/have retired work a part time job? I am 51 and would like to retire or more like partially retire in the next 10 years or so. What are you guys doing for health insurance besides Medicare? I have the VA to fall back on but not the wife.
I’m 62, ready to call it quits but still willing and able to work. I’ll probably keep working for a few more years. After a consulting career in the moving and storage industry which has treated me pretty well, things are so challenging right now with labor and driver shortages, not to mention the rates which are through the roof, it’s constantly one headache after the other. Can’t wait to say F this and spend more time with the wife, kids, grandkid and on my hobbies. Right now there are absolutely no plans for me to be working ten seconds after I turn 65 unless we meet WWIII, the economy tanks and the Ruskies force me to work in a shoe factory, haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vid For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2022, 08:12 AM

I am 60 just completed 40 years still love my job looking to go at 62 if everything works out and falls in place. I have been in the utility world for all 40 years with same company. We always did our job and had fun doing it even though it was dangerous. Seen a lot of changes in 40 years, nothing like now!!. I see no work etic, Management not qualified to manage, if you try to have fun its harassment! I hope I can hold on for two more years but getting harder to do. Looking forward to spending time with family, my Pontiacs and having fun!! Congratulations to those of you who have and looking forward to joining you soon!!

The Following User Says Thank You to MH 1964 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2022, 01:33 AM

Well, I have been retired 7 whole days and I realize it is going to take a few more weeks to fully decompress and get in the grove. Still waking up and thinking about work. Of course,.. I was local government, and 40% of us worked our ass off so the other 60% didn't have to do anything.

I want to help my 90 year old dad, so having more free time helps a lot. Went with him to renew his drivers license today, but he failed the eye test. Need a serious conversation about not driving. He was a firefighter for 35 years, and has NEVER been in an accident, drove the trucks to the fires, but was safe and did not hot dog it because fire trucks don't stop on a dime when some idiot pulls out in front of you.... I learnt a lot from dad. Old school Korean war era NO fn nonsense stuff.

No plans to work again, but not completely sure of future now. WTF is Putin up to?,... leave the FN nuclear power plants alone! I was thinking that in the world wide history of conventional ground warfare,.. Korea, Nam, Afgan, Iraq,.... nowhere have we had to worry about nuclear power generation plants in the line of fire before. Brave new world.

Hang tight all,........

Old 04-13-2022, 07:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Itttttttsssssssssss happppppeeeeennnnnnniiiiinnnnggggggggggg

RETIRED TODAY!!!!!!!!!

moved my paid time off up a month due to yet another overtime demand in my area. 10hr days 7 days a week. no more of that for me. i'm 60 1/2 and time for fun stuff only.

42.5 years and now done and does it ever feel great! already have reservations for several big camping/hiking trips.

tossed my alarm clock in the trash.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JUDGE3 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2022, 08:24 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbird455 View Post
Well, I have been retired 7 whole days and I realize it is going to take a few more weeks to fully decompress and get in the grove. Still waking up and thinking about work. Of course,.. I was local government, and 40% of us worked our ass off so the other 60% didn't have to do anything.

I want to help my 90 year old dad, so having more free time helps a lot. Went with him to renew his drivers license today, but he failed the eye test. Need a serious conversation about not driving. He was a firefighter for 35 years, and has NEVER been in an accident, drove the trucks to the fires, but was safe and did not hot dog it because fire trucks don't stop on a dime when some idiot pulls out in front of you.... I learnt a lot from dad. Old school Korean war era NO fn nonsense stuff.

No plans to work again, but not completely sure of future now. WTF is Putin up to?,... leave the FN nuclear power plants alone! I was thinking that in the world wide history of conventional ground warfare,.. Korea, Nam, Afgan, Iraq,.... nowhere have we had to worry about nuclear power generation plants in the line of fire before. Brave new world.

Hang tight all,........
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDGE3 View Post
RETIRED TODAY!!!!!!!!!

moved my paid time off up a month due to yet another overtime demand in my area. 10hr days 7 days a week. no more of that for me. i'm 60 1/2 and time for fun stuff only.

42.5 years and now done and does it ever feel great! already have reservations for several big camping/hiking trips.

tossed my alarm clock in the trash.
Congratulations to you both, I'm still getting use to the idea that May 10th is going to be it for me.

Old 04-13-2022, 09:53 PM

Once again, congratulations to all those who have retired or soon will be. Enjoy your family, grand kids, friends and hobbies!

Come August I will be retired four years, I have kept very busy with no regrets. I loved my job, but since I was in a salary position, I averaged 65 hours a week and was always on-call. When hours became more important to me than dollars, it was time.

Old 04-14-2022, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm very close to retiring.

I turn 65 in July, will be signing up for Medicare soon. My wife is a couple of years younger than I am and works part time. She is currently covered by my employer's insurance. I may end up working until the first of the year to keep her covered by insurance a while longer. If I retire before the beginning of 2023, I lose my employer's matching 401-K contributions, which sucks.

I work from home 4 days a week, which isn't bad. The work isn't hard, just annoying as I have to deal with teams in India and China a lot. I'm considering asking to work part time if it keeps insurance on my wife.

I have looked through my employer's retirement plan, and I see no advantage in giving them months of advance notice of my retirement.

Old 04-14-2022, 11:12 AM

Poncho Mike,

Retiring at 64 1/2, I paid COBRA for six months until I was eligible for Medicare. My wife is four years younger, we were able to carry her on COBRA for 18 months. It was not cheap, about $600.00 per month but provided good coverage and cheaper than private insurance. For the year 2021 it cost us almost $10,000 for private insurance including deductible, and co-pay for services and tests, In December she turns 65, once she is on Medicare it will be like getting a pay raise.

I suggest doing research on what Medicare plan well before it’s time to sign up. Lots of decisions regarding what plan suits you best. I have been on Aetna Medicare advantage and been happy with the coverage.

Best of luck to you!

Old 04-14-2022, 04:52 PM

I’m almost 56 and I’m self-employed and I love what I do so much and I mean I really have a passion for it so it doesn’t feel like work 98% of the time.

It’s physical work going up and down ladders inspecting roofs etc. every day, but I really enjoy it.

Fortunately I’m healthy but I know one day it’s going to be margin call on my health and my body will say I can’t do it anymore.

Also retirement is not an option as I have one daughter that’s a senior in high school and about to go to college and she’s actually the first person in my family history to go to a university and my second daughter is a freshman in high school and she’ll be going to college also.

So I have to stay healthy and keep working.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mattman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2022, 04:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My COBRA is quite expensive. My employer won't tell me exactly how much my COBRA will cost until I leave, but I work with a guy who retired late last year when he turned 63 1/2. He said it was $15K per year to cover him and his wife.

My wife can get a high deductible Obamacare policy for $1000 a month, but it will be cheaper next year.

I'm getting constant calls from insurers wanting to talk to me about Medicare Supplement and Medicare Advantage plans. If I work until early next year, I will sign up for Part A, then decide on Part B and Part D after I've set the date.

I like being in the position to exit at any time I feel like it. It's refreshing.

Old 04-14-2022, 06:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I to will be paying a premium via cobra but I planned it that way. saved for it.

eventually the affordable health care act and of course medicare. at least it will be fun to feel that big "pay raise" at 65.

getting hit with the bizarr decompression retirement stage. keep thinking the same like i'm just on a long weekend and gotta do this and that before going back to work. anyone know how long it takes to stop thinking like that?

then I snap back and realize i'm done. that feels great!

Old 04-15-2022, 12:19 AM
Senior Chief

I retired Nov 2020 at age 63 after 40 years in GM parts, 35 of those as parts manager and then the last 5 years went down to 4 days a week, then 3 days a week the last few years. No work pension. No investing in the stock market. My wife still works 2 days a week so we have grocery money but here in Canada we can take our Canada Pension at age 60 (kind of like your 401K think?) and this fall I can take my old age pension as well.

I retired "early" because my dad dropped at 62 of a heart attack, my brother had his first one at 63 and dropped at 66 from the second one. No sense working my whole life, even though people comment on how fit I look. I exercise, eat decent but we have no guarantees.

As far as retiring, I absolutely LOVE it! Should have done it at 60. Work on my old Pontiac, work on a few other guys old cars to make a few bucks, (yes, I declare the income on my income tax form!) and just generally enjoy every day. As they all are saying here, the days just fly by.

I had no plans to work outside of my garage but I was asked if I would consider being a prison guard for our local small town police department and said yes. Last November I started doing that, casual, on-call basis but typically I end up getting about 10-20 hours a week I would say. It's fun, even though most of the prisoners verbally abuse me and also nag me "When do I get out of here?". It's fun, because I can quit the job any time I want and it gives me lots of time to read old car magazines, Popular Science/Mechanics etc!

Retirement life is good!

The Following User Says Thank You to Carl S For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2022, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It sounds odd to say, but work isn't that bad now that I can leave at any time I want. I'm working from home, and I've probably worked about a year longer than I planned due to Covid. A lot of it had to do with a change in the Engineering Director. I didn't really care that much for the former director, but he retired last year. The new Engineering Director is a younger guy that I've worked with before, and I like him. It's not enough to make me consider delaying retirement by much, but I might consider working part time to do seismic simulations.

Old 06-24-2022, 04:42 PM

Just retired today!
Going to enjoy the summer and drive my bird more!
Next chapter of my life has begun!

74 Firebird Formula 400 4speed
70 Buick GS455 4 speed
The Following User Says Thank You to sp4spd For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 04:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have retired twice. 20 years underground coal mine maintenance. 16 years Toyota Motors robotics and machine automation. Retirement is to slow, to boring for me. Started my own company 8 years ago. Work 5+ days a week and love it!!

"Bill"!

The Following User Says Thank You to bill ryder For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 05:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats!

I retired april 13, did a juke dance in my yard when I got home the last day!

alarm clock straight to trash can! color me happy!

The Following User Says Thank You to JUDGE3 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill ryder View Post
I have retired twice. 20 years underground coal mine maintenance. 16 years Toyota Motors robotics and machine automation. Retirement is to slow, to boring for me. Started my own company 8 years ago. Work 5+ days a week and love it!!

"Bill"!
I just retired from Toyota R&D ....my second career! First was the airline industry for 27+ years ....Samsonite gorilla/facilities & automotive technician.

74 Firebird Formula 400 4speed
70 Buick GS455 4 speed
The Following User Says Thank You to sp4spd For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 06:34 PM
Senior Chief

Great to see all the responses and all the happy guys.

I've now been retired for 6 weeks. it's going pretty good and my wife has now decided to join me. She gave her notice last Friday and will have just four days next week till it's over for her.

This will allow us to travel and see grand children as much as we want.

Old 10-04-2022, 08:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckies76ta View Post
Done in 6 months. Will be 65.. How time flies Would love to see a pic of that 76 T/A!

Was reading this thread this morning. Just amazing how time does fly by. (Not flies on the wall lol) I finished up last Thursday and yesterday I said to my wife after a short vacation, back to work tomorrow. I got reminded I can stay in bed. Best feeling in the world. Enjoy all you retirees.

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
The Following User Says Thank You to chuckies76ta For This Useful Post: