THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool video from the master.Enjoy,big ass carbs.Tom
https://www.chevyhardcore.com/videos...th-his-finger/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2022, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, that was pretty damn cool! I started laughing when his finger started fluttering....
don't know why. Just got a chuckle out of it.

Old 06-30-2022, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And that is how you learn how things "really" work and the effects of various modifications. Used to be called, "cut and try". VERY LITTLE of this type of research being done today. It's expensive and time consuming. Much easier to sit behind a keyboard and speculate. One of the reasons I had tremendous respect for guys like Joe Mondello. He took seemingly ridiculous ideas like dimpling, (talked about in another thread), and actually did meaningful testing, both wet and dry flow. Computer simulations are great tools and save time and money, but at some point the idea has to be proven. For a street driven Tunnel Ram, the V plenum is almost a requirement IMO.

One of the driving factors in deciding to buy one of these bathtub intakes is Tom had a 3D model made of the intake. He bolted it on his street car and drove the hell out of it. He reported great street manners. So now we have the coolest looking factory intake ever made and it can be driven to a car show.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2022, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wondered how the Pontiac engineers designed the original heads,ports and combustion chambers? Math getting direction or let's try this or a combination. Then onto the high performance race heads. Were the original designers involved?

Old 06-30-2022, 05:00 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
One of the driving factors in deciding to buy one of these bathtub intakes is Tom had a 3D model made of the intake. He bolted it on his street car and drove the hell out of it. He reported great street manners. So now we have the coolest looking factory intake ever made and it can be driven to a car show.
Not sure who helped Randy Williams and Joe Z and Larry K on the actual casting of the bottom feed intakes but I was involved in the "Flipped Over V"
plenum design that was cast into the 3rd design. We thought we might need the "stub plates" under the carbs but after a bunch of
testing found they were not needed. I did nothing on the Larry W intakes.

Tom V.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flipped Over V.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	593494  

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:09 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
Don't buy it if you don't like it. Show us 1 tunnel ram that is designed like you describe that was designed in last 20yrs. Things change, people learn. It isn't 1960 any more. A mild grocery getter build makes as much or more power than those engines did back then.
Mikes Reply:

All you have to do is put today's tires on those old cars and the old car will be as fast as today's rockets.

Old 06-30-2022, 07:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

TM!NFW!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2022, 09:49 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61-63 View Post
This intake is an improvement over the original PMD design. The original was built the way it was because there was an additional plenum above the main plenum, created by the aluminum plate that was laid on top of the base before the top was installed . Gaskets were installed below and on top of that plate. The flat between the carbs that you mention allowed fuel to puddle as the car idled, and when the car was launched that fuel was thrown into the rear carbs primary throttle bores and caused a bog. Racers dealt with this in various ways but primarily by welding a dam at the rear edge of the flat area just in front of the rear carb. The design of the upper plenum, between the aluminum plate and the roof of the top, for the two barrel idling carb which Pontiac never used, trapped fuel laden air when the engine was running, which settled out after the engine was shut down and cooled down and over time accumulated into a black combustible sludge unless the top was removed periodically and the goop cleaned out. This could be overcome by drilling breathing holes in the top between the two carbs but lots of folks never figured this out. The original bathtub was a wondrous thing but was not perfect, and had PMD improved it over time and upped the casting and part numbers as they did with other things, it would likely have evolved into what we have here with the Cogger/Schlauch repop.
Mikes Reply:

Thank you for that professional reply, now I learned something.

Old 06-30-2022, 10:06 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
And that is how you learn how things "really" work and the effects of various modifications. Used to be called, "cut and try". VERY LITTLE of this type of research being done today. It's expensive and time consuming. Much easier to sit behind a keyboard and speculate. One of the reasons I had tremendous respect for guys like Joe Mondello. He took seemingly ridiculous ideas like dimpling, (talked about in another thread), and actually did meaningful testing, both wet and dry flow. Computer simulations are great tools and save time and money, but at some point the idea has to be proven. For a street driven Tunnel Ram, the V plenum is almost a requirement IMO.

Mikes Reply:

My point exactly, is that testing to see if a new idea works on the road and around the neighborhood is just that, should have been tested drag racing and oval track for duration, then once the bugs were weeded out you can go on to the final production. This valuable procedure has gotten me through each and every hurdle that I have come across in my build.

Old 06-30-2022, 10:17 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbob View Post
I wondered how the Pontiac engineers designed the original heads,ports and combustion chambers? Math getting direction or let's try this or a combination. Then onto the high performance race heads. Were the original designers involved?
Mikes Reply:

There Engineers sat around the ovel office table in the white house and formed a think tank holding hands singing in their minds, OfCourse, they compiled all the information they could gather to came up with a viable solution...at least I raised a reasonable question.

Old 06-30-2022, 10:44 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Cool video from the master.Enjoy,big ass carbs.Tom
https://www.chevyhardcore.com/videos...th-his-finger/
Mikes Reply:

Nice example in real time where one can view the results and, in this case, feel them, good find.

Old 06-30-2022, 11:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRADERMIKE 2012 View Post
Mikes Reply:

All you have to do is put today's tires on those old cars and the old car will be as fast as today's rockets.
Seriously?

Old 06-30-2022, 11:17 PM

Okay then, let’s refer to the subsequent thread regarding this intake for further updates:
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=859066

Closed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread