THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-18-2022, 09:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Storm on Monday

Big storm ripped through here Monday, we got hit pretty hard. Just got power back, no internet or land line phone service.

Trees down everywhere, one across our power lines, another across the driveway, one right behind the shop.

Clean-up will take a while, I’ll post some pics when we get internet service restored…….

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 06-18-2022, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
Big storm ripped through here Monday, we got hit pretty hard. Just got power back, no internet or land line phone service.

Trees down everywhere, one across our power lines, another across the driveway, one right behind the shop.

Clean-up will take a while, I’ll post some pics when we get internet service restored…….
glad no body got hurt. sorry to here about the damage.

Old 06-18-2022, 10:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow that sucks. Glad no one got hurt. Good luck with the clean up.

Glad it wasn't a twister, all those parts at the bottom of the hill may have gotten revenge!

Old 06-18-2022, 10:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We were spared from all the bad winds, but I watched the coverage on Spectrum weather during the storm, and it went north of us. I'm just about 4 miles North of I-70, and about 8 miles east of Springfield. I watched lightening North of us constantly for about 15 minutes one strike after another. The commentator said there were over 1150 lightening strikes during the storm. I'm not sure how they can count lightening strikes, but evidently they have technology that is able to do that.

At least you're safe, and sound Cliff, and no major property damage from what you've posted.....

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 06-18-2022 at 11:07 PM.
Old 06-18-2022, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
Wow that sucks. Glad no one got hurt. Good luck with the clean up.

Glad it wasn't a twister, all those parts at the bottom of the hill may have gotten revenge!
The “E” carbs, and XE cams?

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 06-19-2022, 05:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow. Nothing here.

Old 06-19-2022, 07:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We’re about 35 miles north of interstate 70.

It flattened everything here.

No one hurt and the only damage we had were trees and it washed huge ruts in the driveway.

A tornado rolled through just above the house and took out a bunch of trees. When they get our internet restored I’ll put some pics up.

My generator sure got a workout. It shook a few things loose on it but never missed a beat…..

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2022, 07:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow. Did hear of strong storms this last week. Some strong winds but No rain for us.

Did buy a generator last weekend: Needs the carb rebuilt due to varnished fuel, and widow maker cord.

Old 06-19-2022, 07:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The best thing you can do for a gas powered generator is to install a fuel shut off valve. When you are finished with it shut the valve off while it's still running and as it shuts down throw the choke lever.

Next time you are ready to use it just turn the fuel valve on, wait about 20 seconds and it will fire right up. If you leave any of this new fuel in the carb for any period of time it will clog the carb up. Good friend of mine brought his over couple of days ago. It sat for about a year and wouldn't fire up. It was so "varnished" up had to pry the needle out of the seat with a pair of wire cutters! Took some effort but we got it cleaned up and running in about half an hour. The main jet was plugged solid and the fuel supply holes to the main jet were also plugged. Most folks miss those holes when they do a carb rebuild/cleaning.

I get to work on a LOT of them here. Most are really easy to get running again. I've also ran into a few where the fuel was just so old it would burn well enough for them to fire up. Stabil or no additives will help much with that issue in a vented system............

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2022, 08:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am about 30 miles East of Cliff. Just a few trees down at my house, and no power for 18 hours. The church that I go to did not fare as well. Siding torn off, and the 8foot by 12 foot Plexiglas cover for one of the large stained glass windows was shattered, plus one panel of the stained glass.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Radman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2022, 12:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like your new tractor will get a workout when cleaning up the carnage.

And about the generator fuel, we in Ohio have very few places we can buy the deathanol free fuel. I had some that is over a year old that even though I run it out when I shut it down, it is so dead that the only way I can start it is put fresh fuel in the carb, and start it on the fresh fuel, then after it's running, switch to the old fuel. I think I'll just drain it, and use it for weed control....

That fuel is so dead that I poured some in the driveway, and tried to light it with a torch, is lights like kerosene does, you have to heat it with the torch to get it to burn.

The reason I now run it dry is because I previously made the mistake of leaving it sit for over a year and had the carb apart numerous times before I found a plug in the drilled inlet passage where it made a right angle turn. It would fill the bowl, and would start, and run until the bowl emptied, then stall. Took me a couple of R&Rs of the carb to find the near blockage in that right angle inlet.

For my trimmer and chain saw, I bite the bullet, and buy the deathanol free 93 octane 2 cycle premix gallon can at Rural King for $18. Yeah it's costly, but I only use a gallon or two of it a year. it starts, and runs so much better, and no storage worries with it.

Our governor wants to make sure we have plenty of deathanol laced fuel, so they're pushing the optional 15% crap now. Being that Ohio grows a lot of corn, he wants us to support the farmers. While I like to support the farmers, I'll buy food locally from farms, but I'm sure as heck not buying the 15% deathanol gas, the 10% is bad enough. We have a ethanol plant in Leipsic OH, that when I drove fuel tanker, we would transport from, and I guess there are 3 other plants too, that I never have been to.

I was over talking to a neighbor who owns his own lawn service business, and he was telling me since the uptick in fuel prices, started, his equipment is hell to start, and it runs badly when he does get it running. I assured him they're likely stretching fuel with higher percentages of deathanol.

I know that 10% advertised, is many times over 15% in reality. We used to be able to see as tanker drivers at some fuel racks, how much deathanol they blended into the fuel as we loaded it, many times it was over 10%. Once in a great while it would be less. It all depends upon what the octane/specific gravity, is of the base fuel they use to blend how much they add to get the octane corrected. The 10% advertised is not really accurate.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2022, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Generator has the shutoff valve, but prior owner didnt use it huh. Gonna rebuild the carb.

As for tree branches: chainsaws!! Good luck making the property nice.

Old 06-21-2022, 09:23 PM

Storm ripped through here Saturday. Huge Oak felled behind the house. Trees down throughout the area with their root systems lifted out of the ground. Electric contactors phones ringing for help with no service calls @ electric contractor pal of mine. Insurance does not provide for felled tree removal unless house hit or endangered or driveway blocked

Old 06-21-2022, 09:54 PM
Suspended

Although the generator has a shutting valve, it appears that the previous owner did not use it. I'm going to rebuild the carburetor.

When it comes to tree branches, use chainsaws!! Good luck with the property's upkeep.

Old 06-21-2022, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Glad to hear you guys are all right. Nothing like attacking downed tree limbs for at least a week,, only to have to follow up later with getting "widow maker" big limbs down.

Old 06-22-2022, 07:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We still don't have phone or Internet and not sure when it's coming back on line.

Got the mess cleaned up in short order with the Yanmar and grapple. That turned out to be a very good investment, wishing now I would have had one decades ago. I can handle logs, limbs and brush with much less effort.

Since we are not able to do much in the shop I decided to take the week off and deal with all of it later. I tried hand writing some receipts and shipping a few orders but its a royal PITA having to drive to town with a big stack of orders and without the shipping discounts I'm basically working for nothing.

So if you have something on order off the website it will be delayed a bit...........

The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2022, 08:20 AM
Senior Chief

We Ohio folk have had some bad storms as of late for sure. My daughter showed me a video on her phone of a funnel cloud that went directly over our house last week. A few years prior, one pulled some siding and trim off the west end of the garage and blessed my neighbors with it. Since getting my ham radio licenses, I listen to the EMA folks and storm watchers. Very interesting stuff.

My mom's place is a mile away, and is full of older maple trees. In a storm, that place drops limbs like a leper on a trampoline.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 06-22-2022, 08:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe find a local sawmil guy to take the logs: my local guy is expert on wood grain benefits vs tree species : holds nails, takes screws, fine satin grain, furniture use, construction use.).

some 0-post clown quoted my post; how did Moderators know to suspend? nice!

Old 06-22-2022, 09:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Glad nobody got hurt. Now the cleanup fun begins. we got hit in Raleigh a few days back but nothing like what you got. Still required quite a bit of time to cleanup the mess!

Old 06-26-2022, 07:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We are FINALLY back up and running here. I came back to four FULL pages of missed calls and several hundred emails. IF you called or emailed it may take a while for me to get to it so be patient. I have several full days of orders to fill off the website but will try to do some correspondence in between all that......