Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 11-21-2012, 09:45 PM

Default How to fix 69 GTO dash pad???

I can't find used and there are no repro's.... At least that I have found. Anyone know of cost effective options? Car is a intended to be a driver, not a show queen. Thx.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

there is or I have seen a plastic cover that will cover the whole dash.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Plastic Molded Dash Cover

Good timing. I actually just installed a molded plastic dash cover on my 69 Gto today. got it from Opgi but ames has these as well. same manufacturer. their excellent, iv'e installed a couple of these.

with minor trimming, they fit extremely well. heres how I installed them on (2) 69 gto's with excellent results:

I cut the strip off running at the bottom of the glove box. can't tell it and it makes fitment easier.

the main spot to trim (and only spot I had to trim on this one) for the 69, is the small radius area that sits just on top of the steering column. this needs trimmed quite a bit for the cover to sit flush and tight on this side of the dash.

use the silicone minimally only where its needed. this is important! its gotta be able to expand/contract or it will crack just like an aged original.

I apply a bead at the top front full length across, then 3 areas at the bottom, (1) just below the headlight switch area, (2) just below and to the right of the radio, (3) below and to the right of the glovebox. thats it. fits so well not needed anywhere else and leaves plenty of "breathing" areas.

mines black so didn't even need to paint it, armor-all gives it a same as original shine. I installed the no a/c, no vent one so it was easiest one yet. the a/c vented ones usually need minor trimming around the vent openings.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have found local trim repair company that has repaired 2 of my 1968 dash pads and one console for me. The work is excellent and the repairs have been undetectable for years.

Ask local new or used car dealers who they use to re-condition or repair their interiors. You should be able to find a local company that specializes in this kind of repair.

The last dash pad I had repaired had a crack running from the windshield edge all the way rearward to the heater control opening. The total cost to repair the crack and re-coat the entire panel in the correct gloss black was $65. Grain match is perfect.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt455 View Post
I have found local trim repair company that has repaired 2 of my 1968 dash pads and one console for me. The work is excellent and the repairs have been undetectable for years.

Ask local new or used car dealers who they use to re-condition or repair their interiors. You should be able to find a local company that specializes in this kind of repair.

The last dash pad I had repaired had a crack running from the windshield edge all the way rearward to the heater control opening. The total cost to repair the crack and re-coat the entire panel in the correct gloss black was $65. Grain match is perfect.
Yes, if its a "top pad" like the 68 and earlier, original style re-pops or a good upholstery shop is the way to go.

but he has a 69. fully padded dash. different animal.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

JUDGE3 wrote: "but he has a 69. fully padded dash. different animal."

The 68 dash pad and the 69 pad were constructed using similar processes and materials. Both utilize a steel substrate with an ABS/PVC alloy skin and are polyurethane foam filled. The repair procedure is the same.

It works.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:11 AM

Thx for the comments, this is a big help!

Old 11-22-2012, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a few pics of the just installed plastic molded cover. Jmt455, your right my friend, only meant that 68 and earlier the dash's are very easy to remove and replace entirely. the 69 being fully padded is a much bigger task to remove. Happy Thanksgiving

Last edited by JUDGE3; 12-20-2023 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDGE3 View Post
the 69 being fully padded is a much bigger task to remove. Happy Thanksgiving
That's for sure!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-24-2012, 01:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink Pssst...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969GTO View Post
there is or I have seen a plastic cover that will cover the whole dash.
I happen to have a brand new one I would sell real reasonable. Probably the last '69 resto part I have! Just found it in our attic this week...forgot we even has it. Let me know. Ron

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:02 AM

Does anyone know if you can put the molded cover that Judge3 was talking about without the middle a/c vent over a dash that has the a/c vent? Mine is not supposed to have it.

Ron. PM sent

Old 01-07-2013, 08:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingtos View Post
Does anyone know if you can put the molded cover that Judge3 was talking about without the middle a/c vent over a dash that has the a/c vent? Mine is not supposed to have it.

Ron. PM sent
Sure. in fact, i used the cover thats supposed to be for a "tempest", that not only covers my middle a/c hole, but also covered both side vents. didn't need 'em, never use 'em. cleaner look and no old ugly vents.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

couple pics of the no side or center a/c opening, dash cover for a tempest.

Last edited by JUDGE3; 12-20-2023 at 11:04 AM.